Author Topic: anyone heard of Stutzman flour?  (Read 624 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
anyone heard of Stutzman flour?
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »
We just got a contract with Denison University's food server - Bon Appetit.  They want us to use this flour because it is local and they are all about local.   I can't find any info on it.  Anybody tried this brand?  Bon appetit is a class outfit from what I have seen so far.  Walter

http://www.bamco.com/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:20:34 PM by waltertore »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: anyone heard of Stutzman flour?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
Walter,

You might try Googling Stutzman Farm, Millersburg, Ohio. I don't know if the hits are what you are looking for, but I notice that there is a telephone number and an email address for the Stutzman Farm. 

Peter
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:30:36 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
They want us to use this flour because it is local and they are all about local.   

If it was me, I'd tell them that I'm all about good.

Who cares what other people think about it? Are they going to come bake your bread for you? If Bon Appetit want you to use it, I bet they'll give you a couple hundred pounds to try. If it works well for you, use it, if not, don't.
Pizza is not bread.

Online scott123

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
Walter, from googling Stutzman, it appears that none of their flours are bromated.  For the NY style pizza that you're making, I would stick with the bromated flour you're using.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 03:32:29 PM »
Doesn't Walter make his pizzas for a school district? I wouldnt think they would allow bromated flour to be used at a school cafeteria,  would they?

Online scott123

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »
Doesn't Walter make his pizzas for a school district? I wouldnt think they would allow bromated flour to be used at a school cafeteria,  would they?

I see no reason why they wouldn't.  West of the Rockies, no-one really cares about bromate- it's what used to make pizza- without a second thought.  The only exception would be one or two of the big chains who have developed bromate free formulas for national distribution.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:15:03 PM by scott123 »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 05:31:31 PM »
thanks for all the responses!    I am all for using locally produced items.  They want me to use the flour for bagels.  They are going to give me a 50lb bag to try out this week.  It is priced at around $32/50lb bag.  Bon Appetit is a class act and will pay extra for us using this flour.  Their contracts state something like 20% of the food on site has to come from within a 200 radius.   I am meeting with them Monday and if I remember right from our intial meeting they own a large blueberry farm so we will get flash frozen ones for the blueberry bagels.  Currently we use GM AT for bagels.    Bromated is no issue out here. My curiousity is how fine it is milled and the protien level.  Bags rarely/if ever have the protien level on them.  My goal is to have work for my students so if they like what it does that is great with me. 

We were making approx 200/week - 100% whole wheat dough balls for a local school district.  I used GM fine ground whole wheat flour, water, yeast, EVOO.  They had to fit the new Federal Food Formula for schools.  This means developing recipes and having them nutritionally anaylized.  It is a pain but what I have to do for all our stuff we sell to schools.  This district hires an outside company to cook the food for their cafeterias  and are quite on the cutting edge with healthy school food (AVI out of OH).  Farmers come in with fresh vegies, freshly slaughtered free range meats/eggs, and such.  They have a great chef but dough is not his thing.  they use a dough press and conveyor oven for the pizzas and wanted me to freeze the dough balls.  Our freezers are normal restaurant commercial True's so the process takes a while and takes a lot of space to keep them round.    The problem I had with the whole wheat dough was consistency.  We made it with cold water, immediately refrigerated it and then the next day delivered it.  Sometimes it sat out in their kitchen before getting in the cooler and or it just got too old. I decided between all the variables to nix it.    We cold ferment our bagels 24 hours after mixing/hand rolling and then boil/bake them.   This and our pizza dough pushes our refrigerator space to capacity.  We use a lot of eggs, butter, cheese, and such so the space gets used up quick.  I use 1 True fridge for dough so we are not opening the door too much.  If this contract goes well I will purchase a worktop 2-3 door fridge that can handle dough boxes.  I will try the stuzman for pizza and report on it.  Walter

here is our current bagel
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:13:57 PM by waltertore »

pizzapan