Author Topic: GrillsnOvens.com oven made in Portugal  (Read 1602 times)

Offline phillymurf

• I Love Pizza!
GrillsnOvens.com oven made in Portugal
« on: August 22, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »
I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this company and the brick oven they sell.  From my very limited experience this looks like a decent oven, and they sell a sturdy stand to support it's 1400 lbs.  Just curious if anyone has any first hand experience with it before I pull the trigger.
Thanks!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Re: GrillsnOvens.com oven made in Portugal
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:25:15 PM »
I bought the Volta 120 from Eugene at grillsnovens. Standup guy. Good prices. Fair shipping. These are not high end ovens. But they don't cost very much either! 

Can't speak for the Portuguese ovens, just that my refractory oven works fine.

John K

Offline phillymurf

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »
Thanks John.  Good to know.

Offline Mario D

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 01:20:30 AM »
I am very happy with mine. Check out the video
<a href="http://youtu.be/kfIp1lLY1a8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/kfIp1lLY1a8</a>

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »
Mario,

You have that thing dialed in, man!! Great looking pie.What's the "second" meat?

Did you purchase from Eugene at grillsnovens.com as well? If so, I'm sure that you've had the same great experience I've had. My only regret is that mine's not a low dome. But for what I paid, it is a well-balanced and above-average performing oven!

John K

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:09:16 AM »
I agree, very nice video and pie.  I like the look of the dough and finish Crust.  Also the opening technique is very pro!

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »
The company that makes these in Portugal also make a one with a lower dome height, and they also make the portable lightweight steel one that sometimes goes by the name 'Maximus' or 'Pizza Party". In the pic below it is the 'pizzaioli' model. The one the Grillsnovens sell is the same as the 'Etna' model. Your pizza looks excellent, and your technique is great!

Your technique of raising the pizza towards the top, or 'doming' is a valid technique for cooking the pizza and is much undervalued here amongst the various people in pizza forums who sneer at any other way to cook or bake a pizza other than their own preferred method, which often involves some kind of artificial abstinence, which is presumably the source of their presumed superiority of their technique, choice of cooking appliance and product. "Look Ma! Stir Fry with one hand tied behind my back, the flavour is awesome because I am only using one hand!"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:53:48 PM by synaesthesia »

Offline scott123

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 01:41:52 AM »
Synaesthesia, I applaud your very rich imagination  ;D Please provide an example of one post in this forum (or any other forum) that could be construed as having an anti-doming sentiment.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »
I have stated many times you shouldn't have to dome a pizza in a balanced oven.  I have also stated that making one pie at a time just about any oven can work.  Personally speaking my statements against doming have been from either an idealist or commercial view point.  If I'm making pizza on a commercial level I don't want to have to dome them, call me crazy.
-Jeff

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
My understanding is as Jeff stated it, but in a strictly commercial context. I remember Marco (pizzanapoletana) saying that at Franco Manca they could bake 280 pizzas an hour, five at a time. See, for example, Reply 100 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8836.msg91506.html#msg91506 . Marco was sometimes critical of doming so I would imagine that the ovens at Franco Manca did not require doming of the pizzas.

Peter

Offline IndyD

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 12:21:37 PM »
I am very happy with mine. Check out the video
http://youtu.be/kfIp1lLY1a8

Mario D-
How is the heat retention on that oven?

pizzapan