Author Topic: Turning Peel Technique  (Read 994 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Turning Peel Technique
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:31:47 AM »
I am feeling a little dumb / awkward  :-[.  Please help me out.

I am using a 9 inch GI metal peel with the slider in the handle.  When turning my pizza in the WFO, more often than not I find that I am "chasing" the pizza.

I slide the peel under the pie, part of the way, and then try to lift it to pull it towards me and then rotate.  But, the pie scoots further away into the oven.  Running out of time while the Neopolitan is cooking so fast, I resort to pushing the peel, and the pie as it scoots away, to the back wall where the pie has nowhere left to hide.  Then, I can pull it forward, etc.

Can you give me the pointers to the seemingly straightforward, but elusive for now, task of turning the pie? 

I had been using a 7 inch peel  (and have not tried it again to see the difference) with better luck, so I am wondering if has to do with me being a bit more restricted from a side movement (my oven is on the small side so there is not a huge amount of room between the fire and the pie.

thanks,
Mitch

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Turning Peel Technique
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
Mitch, I have only turned a pie in a WFO on the occasion that I attended a class. The technique was to slide the turning peel on the left
 side of the pie and bring it back all the while turning conterclockwise and releasing the pie on the same spot that it came from. About a 1/4 turn.

I am sure you will get better answers from real WFO users.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »
I'd recommend searching for some videos of Neapolitan pizzerias to watch.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 04:48:51 PM »
Do not use the peel on the side facing you, use the peel on the side facing the fire.  Push it under about 1/2 the pizza, and turn it as you draw it towards you.

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:38:41 AM by synaesthesia »

pizzapan