Author Topic: Good pizza in Denver, CO??  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
Good pizza in Denver, CO??
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:57:36 AM »
I just replied to a post about pizza in Columbus, Ohio (which is where I'm originally from) and it got me thinking... does anyone out there know of any good pizza shops in Denver, Colorado?

My absolute favorite pizza would be, well, I guess what I consider Ohio-Style pizza.  Basically a very thin crust (thinner than pizza huts "thin" crust) but not crispy like a cracker crust - it's still got some chew to it, with cornmeal in the dough.  Very little edge-crust, a sweeter sauce with tons of big chunk-cut toppings, and real pepperoni that curls up and crisps around the edges.  Not that this type is exclusive to Ohio, of course, but it definitely seems to be the style-of-choice, more so than other cities/states I've been to.  If anyone has had Donato's (started in Columbus, OH) that's what I'm looking for!

So far, there's really nothing out here.  As far as delivery options, you have the big chains (none of which I like) and then a couple other local places like Blackjack (which I think is horrible).  There is Beaujos (sp?) which is "Colorado" style pizza (super think bread-bowl type crust you eat with honey: not for me). There is really good gourmet wood-fired pizza to be found in restaurants (Il Vicino is one - VERY good pizza) as well as some places downtown but man, there's just nothing in the way of good pizza for a Friday night, or for gameday or just NORMAL good pizza. :)

I'm still relatively new out here, so I'm sure there's gotta be something out there!  Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Good pizza in Denver, CO??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 09:30:39 PM »
I was just looking at PizzaTherapy at some of the best pizza places in Denver as suggested by readers.

"Beau Jo's" was suggested...I looked at their website and it made me gag. I wouldn't even try it. http://www.beaujos.com/

One place that does look promising is 'Anthony's' http://www.anthonyspizzaandpasta.com/franchise.htm < It doesn't look half bad.

http://cityguide.aol.com/denver/bestpizza/main.adp?page=main&tab=restaurants Check out there and see if anything tickles your fancy.

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 08:42:39 PM »
Have you tried Il Vicino in Denver they have two Denver locations and one in Colorado Springs.  They also have a couple in NM.  Which maybe Bill can comment on.  I have never been yet.  Also there's a new place that is opneing in Greenwood Village called Sauce.  They have six or seven other locations in Arizona.
-JP-

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 03:52:03 PM »
Hi there - Actually yeah, I have tried Il Vicino, and I must say their pizza's are GREAT.  Kind of a CPK thing, but much better IMHO and more casual.  Maybe a chipotle-type-pizza place. :)

But I also consider this more gourmet pizza, for a lunch or something.  Of course they don't deliver, and I wouldn't order an Il Vicino pizza for a football game when some friends were coming over. 

I have been pointed to some NY style joints near me which I'll be trying out - and of course I'll continue to just make my own until I have my perfect pizza available any time I want it! :)

Offline chilis4me

• MMmmmmmm......Pizza
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 05:33:07 PM »
Have had Anthony's in Golden, and it's our new local favorite.
Anthony's is a growing chain opening more and more locations
in the Denver metro area.   

For the best pizza I've ever had in Colorado, go to Boulder
and try Jalino's.   A small hole in the wall place across from
Boulder High School on Arapahoe.   A really good medium
crust pizza, yummy sauce, quality mozzarella, and pretty
abundant toppings.   It's about 20 miles one way from our
place to Jalino's and we often go pick up a couple.....well
more often before gas prices got so high !    FYI, it's not
a sit down place...well there's a couple of stools along a
counter you can eat at (they sell slices too), but if you're
getting whole pies to feed a crowd, plan on take out.

Offline mvatsaas

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »
Lil' Ricci's in Parker is excellent. I especially like their calzones.

Our favorite used to be Rocky Mountain Pie over near the Park Meadows Mall. The original owners were a sweet couple who were fun to talk to whenever we went there. We stopped going around the time that the sold the place, but as far as I know the pizza is still the same recipe.

Offline garyd

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 03:51:34 AM »
What part of Denver are you in? One of my favorite Pizza's is Parisi's on 44th and Tennyson in North Denver. (parisidenver.com) It's a thin crust, wood fired pizza at a decent price (Better than Marco's Coal Fired, in my opinion). Another favorite is Piccolo's on Monaco and Hampton. Good thin crust at a family price. Great owner, Vince Canino and nice atmosphere. Two good New York styles are Famous Pizza on 98 S. Broadway and Two-Fisted Mario's near 16th on Market St. downtown. For a good family style place with good Pizza and a great simple salad try Amici's in Wheat Ridge on Wadsworth. A real standout is MICI off of 15th and Stout St. and in Cherry Creek North at 2nd and Milwaukee. They may have what you are really looking for. That have a unique crispy yet chewy crust with a hint of corn meal that is medium thin and very good. They have standard and unique toppings. Try the DiGirolomo made with Olive oil, mozzarella, gorgonzola, pepperoncini, pepperoni. The price is reasonable.

My 2 favorites are probably Parisi and MICI.

Gary

Offline kingmarki

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 04:03:45 PM »
Have you tried Osteria Marco in Larimer Square? They have the thin crust with home made cheeses and Salumi Artisan Cured Meats. I think it's about the best pizza I have ever had. It is worth a try at least. Good luck!

pizzapan