Author Topic: New blackstone owner here. What is a good (easy) dough to start with?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline daisygirls

• I Love Pizza!
Hi, I'm new here and just bought a Blackstone oven which is arriving Monday. I have done a fair amount of pizza baking in my home oven (preheating oven to 550 and then turning on the broiler when I put the pie in) but my dough recipes have been based on weight and not bakers percentages which are a new thing for me to learn.  I typically use KAAP. I have some vital wheat gluten on hand as well. I am hoping for a Neapolitan-ish pizza.

I really drooled over Craig's method and photos but that is something I will strive for in the long term. In the meantime could I get some suggestions for a good dough to start with?

Daisy

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: New blackstone owner here. What is a good (easy) dough to start with?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 03:38:32 PM »
I recommend making the Apizza Scholls recipe. It's not the simplest recipe but it is one of the best.   
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=8

The Glutenboy recipe is good too and probably a bit easier to make than the scholls recipe:
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=18
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:41:29 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline daisygirls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 03:49:28 PM »
Thank you!!

Offline redox

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »
I recommend making the Apizza Scholls recipe. It's not the simplest recipe but it is one of the best.   
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=8

The Glutenboy recipe is good too and probably a bit easier to make than the scholls recipe:
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=18

Tin,
I've only given a quick look to the doughgenerator but how can I tell how large a pizza it's supposed to make? For Apizza Scholls it gives: * The above ingredients will yeild 4 doughballs of 260 grams each. But provides no thickness factor or diameter for the pizza. Maybe I'm missing something simple, do you know what? I was thinking of trying the Apizza Scholls, too but don't know how thick/thin the pizza is supposed to be.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »
you put in the # of pizas at 260 grams you want to make and formula it does the rest soooo Helpful for any size great tool !! try it !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 12:38:27 AM »
Garvey's Pizza factory clone is an OUTSTANDING recipe. Plus a sauce recipe that is awesome, very much like some of my favorite Chicago Thin crust joints. VERY well spiced, full of zip and enough fennel to know it's there. I also added a bit of red wine and Aleppo chilies to it. Very good recipe that stands on it's own but easy to tweak too. I've made this recipe 4 times now and was an instant hit with comments like 'best ever' from many. Thank you Garvey!!!! BTW, I do 320 grams and it makes a perfect 14-15" and allows for a little lip/cornice that puffs nicely if you guard it from the roller a bit.  http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=16

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline redox

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 02:13:33 PM »
Garvey's Pizza factory clone is an OUTSTANDING recipe. Plus a sauce recipe that is awesome, very much like some of my favorite Chicago Thin crust joints. VERY well spiced, full of zip and enough fennel to know it's there. I also added a bit of red wine and Aleppo chilies to it. Very good recipe that stands on it's own but easy to tweak too. I've made this recipe 4 times now and was an instant hit with comments like 'best ever' from many. Thank you Garvey!!!! BTW, I do 320 grams and it makes a perfect 14-15" and allows for a little lip/cornice that puffs nicely if you guard it from the roller a bit.  http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=16
I've found some decent NY pizza recipes but nothing quite right for me, yet. But Garvey's Pizza Factory Clone is my all-time favorite from this site. I LOVE THAT RECIPE!!

jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »
I've found some decent NY pizza recipes but nothing quite right for me, yet. But Garvey's Pizza Factory Clone is my all-time favorite from this site. I LOVE THAT RECIPE!!

If you haven't tried Glutenboy's you should, VERY good. Just need the time to give it that 3-5 day proof

jon

Offline redox

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 03:15:05 PM »
If you haven't tried Glutenboy's you should, VERY good. Just need the time to give it that 3-5 day proof

jon
I've done pizza shark's which was pretty decent but not Glutenboy's, that'll be the next NY I try. Thanks. Weather's getting hot around here again so I'll be firing up the BS real soon. Tonight though, wet burritos!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »
Wet Burritos sounds really good. My wife makes an enchilada hot dish that is somewhat similar. I'm doing Garvey's PF pies tonite as a friend is coming down for a BS Experience......yes, BOTH kinds of BS will be flying around! :-D

Do you deep fry your wet burritos first or just warm and wrap before you sauce and cheese them?

jon

sorry for digressing from the post topic.....

Offline redox

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »
Wet Burritos sounds really good. My wife makes an enchilada hot dish that is somewhat similar. I'm doing Garvey's PF pies tonite as a friend is coming down for a BS Experience......yes, BOTH kinds of BS will be flying around! :-D

Do you deep fry your wet burritos first or just warm and wrap before you sauce and cheese them?

jon

sorry for digressing from the post topic.....
I'm trying to be good so no frying them this time. I'll try to take pix and post'em on your what are you eating now thread.