Author Topic: Hi, everyone  (Read 232 times)

Offline francesco

• I Love Pizza!
Hi, everyone
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:12:16 PM »
Hello, I'm an Italian pizzamaker recently moved in New Jersey. I have been in the USA for two years and I'm still struggling with the American-English. I used to work as professional pizzamaker in Rome and Naples were I managed respectively electric and wood fire oven. My favourite pizza is the Verace Napoletana that I'm able to make as ruled by the European Community. I earned two pizza school diplomas, one in Rome issued by the Associazione Pizzerie Italiane and one in Naples issued by the AVPN. At present I work in South Orange at the Italian restaurant Bottragra South obviously as pizzamaker. I'm able to make a perfect real Neapolitan pizza but I would like to share different recipes and dought styles with y'all.  :D

Offline scott123

Re: Hi, everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:21:56 AM »
Francesco, welcome to the forum.

I'm in Morristown.

I have a question regarding the diplomas you received.  It was my understanding that AVPN (Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana) certifies pizzerias, while the APN (Associazione Pizzaiuoli Napoletani) certifies pizza makers and that the AVPN doesn't certify individuals.  Is this correct?

Bottragra South sounds interesting. Is it VPN certified?

Also, what kind of pizzas were you making in Rome?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Hi, everyone
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
Francesco:  I grew up in South Orange.  It sure has changed a lot since I was there.  I don't know the place you work at.  There was not any wood fired ovens when I was there (1960's-80's).  It was all gas deck ovens.  South Orange was a great place to grow up.  My mother was the secretary to the head priest at Seton Hall for many years.  Everyone I grew up is gone except one friend whose house backs up to the Orange Lawn Tennis Club.  I learned a lot about pizza from Alfredo who ran a small cafe on Valley street for a few years.  He tired of the American ways and went back to Italy.  I hope it is still a good place to live. I still think back on South Orange with the gas light street lights..............  Walter

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:10:47 AM by waltertore »