Author Topic: Pizza tossing  (Read 925 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
Pizza tossing
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:28:16 PM »
So does anybody toss their pizza or do most just stretch them? I've learned that using a roller is a bad idea due to the fact it kills the precious, delicate bubbles, but I am not quite a good pizza bench-stretcher yet.  :chef:

Offline slybarman

Re: Pizza tossing
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »
Tossing seems to work well if you know what you are doing. I find it difficult to get enough RPMs to generate the force necessary to really stretch the dough.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 09:45:35 AM »
We bench stretch, hand stretch, and toss.  It all depends on what state the dough is in. A good hand/bench stretcher will achieve the same results as tossing.  The tossing is the hardest for most people to master.   You have to just keep at it.  Make 20 dough balls just for practicing.  It is cheap and repitition is the way to master.   I am sure if you go on the net you will find lots of how to videos.  I was lucky to learn it in the flesh from old pizza makers.  I am not a flashy tosser.  I toss to stretch the dough to the right size not to impress the crowd.  I find those type tossers boring to watch.  Walter

check out this picture. It shows one of my students copying what I am doing. When I saw this picture I gave her a towel to take  home (it was at christmas break time) and when she came back this was her first batch of on her own.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:16:19 AM by waltertore »

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
Thanks guys. It seems like its good to learn because it could be a good way to stretch it without tearing it once you get good.

Offline solidusraven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
I honestly do what feels best. Today I didn't toss my dough because it was more of a country style dough, but if it was more like an ny style dough which is not heavy then tossing gives the dough a really nice edge and shape. Tossing from leg to right is my favorite way to stretch a pizza. You want to make sure the dough doesn't land in between your finger, and want to use the tip of your fingers instead.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »
Ok. I've been learning how to do the simple stuff above the counter. Apparently the flour makes all the difference. It seems like it's not so much the fact that it's 00, but a high gluten content. I guess 00 helps cause it should help the gluten quickly structure and absorb water. This whole wheat white by King Arthur I got was a huge mistake though interesting results. I got some King Arthur Bread Flour, but I'm going to get their Sir Lancelot and Italian Milled flour. I'm sure that will help kick it up a few knotches. BABAM!

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 01:56:57 PM »
Well, we've (my 10 yr old grandson and I) have recently really gotten into tossing. We've been making pizze for years using my 2stone pizza grill insert but just stretching the dough. I realized that a few years ago I had purchased a "Throw Dough" silicon pizza round from the U.S. Pizza Team for the family to practice on.

My grandson has picked it up (pun intended since a few have been dropped) quicker than anyone else. It really does seem to make a difference in stretching the dough into a nice round. Besides .... it's fun!

The practice "Throw Dough" makes learning easy -- and less messy :-)

Ciao!

Tony

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »
Here is a what many consider a great pizza maker with no tossing. I love watching him work.  Very inspirational and a reminder that the dough dictates whether to toss or not.  Walter

<a href="http://youtu.be/KfT6pejh-eA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/KfT6pejh-eA</a>
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 02:51:56 PM by waltertore »

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »
For some reason I couldn't see that last picture. That was informative still.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 08:25:11 PM »
I just saw what it is now. That pizzaolo was amazing. He just took his time and did everything to his own style.

Offline Greenman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 08:17:30 AM »
There are some very informative videos on UTube try 'hand tossing pizza dough' for a search and you will find some good things.  I found it useful and the next best thing if you don't have an experienced person to learn from.  My efforts are much better (and easier) now. 

I expect that practice is the key.
Cheers  ............  Steve :)

pizzapan