Author Topic: Beer modified TL-Pete zza recipe  (Read 677 times)

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
Beer modified TL-Pete zza recipe
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »
I started a batch of approx 30 oz of one of Peter's variant of TL's NY. 

The basics were from Pete-zza's thread, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.20.html  , Reply 31, but doubled and then Firestone DBA beer substituted for the water.  The beer was brought up to 95F by zapping it.  I followed Peter's recipe calling for the autolyse of 10 mins with the flour, beer (water), and IDY,  before puting in the oil and salt.  I used a KA stand mixer but varied the speed and used spatula to work it around the dough hook, and supplemented with hand kneeding.  I kneeded until it was smooth and could be stretched a bit witout tears.  Finish dough temp was low 80F's.  I put it in a lightly oiled bowl and covered it with plastic for 1 hour at room temp.  It had begun to rise, then I put it in the ice chest below. That was 9:00 pm lastnight.   

I used a simple 50 qt ice chest with two cold packs along side the covered bowl to keep the dough temp cool but not cold.  This method seems to keep it in the mid 50F's pretty nicely. 

Today, I couldn't wait any longer, the smell in ice chest was incredible.  I pulled it out around 1:30 pm and cut off a 10 oz piece of dough and returned the remainder to the ice chest. 

My oven set up was 550F with a stone on near the upper level and my steel plate at the bottom rack.

I put the pie on the steel for 2 mins, then moved it to the stone for an additional 5 mins.

I really liked the flavor and aroma.  Of course, it would have developed to a richer aroma and flavor with a longer fermentation.  But sometimes a man has to do what he has to do. :chef: :-D

The crust was very pleasing.  But I'm guessing not quite soft enough for a true NY style.  You can see the crack in the folded dough.    But I prefer a slightly more crisp dough than a true NY.  >:D

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Beer modified TL-Pete zza recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »
Looks good to me, and I'm with you on pizza with a little more crunch.

Just out of curiosity, after you cut the 10oz piece off, what did you do after? Form it right into a skin? reball and wait?

Josh

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 07:05:29 PM »
JD
I didn't want to disturb the ball much.  So I didn't reball it. :-\

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
Good answer, looks like it worked out pretty well.
Josh

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »
JD
'Course you know I stole the initial parbake on the steel from you. :)

I was actually shooting for a slightly crunchy crust and I think I got what I wanted.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 08:52:44 PM »
Chuck,

You done good ;D.

FYI, the quintessential thread on the forum on the use of beer in pizza dough is this one:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.0.html

Peter

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »
JD
'Course you know I stole the initial parbake on the steel from you. :)

I was actually shooting for a slightly crunchy crust and I think I got what I wanted.

Oh, interesting! You're probably the first to do so. I'm still working on it, hope to have something good to show soon.

Josh

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 11:56:58 PM »
Chuck,

You done good ;D.

FYI, the quintessential thread on the forum on the use of beer in pizza dough is this one:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.0.html

Peter

Thanks Peter.  Yes, I read Tom's exploits and started my own.  He was my inspiration.

I'm setting at a sushi bar in Newport Beach with family ans the kids didn't eat much.  So I may have some customers for a latenight pizza.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 01:50:27 AM »
Sure enough, we got back to Torrance and the nephew was hungry. ;D :-D :chef:

I pulled  little off the dough ball in the cooler made a small pie for the kids