Author Topic: The call of the poolish  (Read 420 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
The call of the poolish
« on: September 04, 2013, 05:48:36 AM »
Just back from the neighborhood bakery where I had a small café com leite, picked up a few french bread rolls and 25 grams of fresh yeast. Once home, I measured out 630 gms of water, 50 gms of italian La Molisana semola di grano duro rimacinata (remilled semolina flour), 450 gms of Vilma (local brazilian brand) all purpose flour, 4 grams of fresh yeast and a pinch of salt. Whisked together and my soupy poolish is done.  I plan on incorporating the remaining flour, salt and oil after 24 hours, followed by at least another 48 hours of fermentation in the fridge.

I incorporated the 50 gms of semolina flour in the hopes that it would impart more flavor to the NY crust - without significantly altering the desired open crumb structure. We'll see how that goes.

Ah - this was all done before 6:30 am, by the way. The call of the poolish was strong, very strong :-D
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TXCraig1

Re: The call of the poolish
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:53:10 AM »
Ah - this was all done before 6:30 am, by the way. The call of the poolish was strong, very strong :-D

So is the call of the mattress  ;D

I wish I had a neighborhood bakery  :'(
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: The call of the poolish
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:23:36 AM »
So is the call of the mattress  ;D

At times it is, but on this particular morning, the call of the poolish was stronger  :-D

Having a neighborhood bakery definitely has its perks.  Nothing like picking up some hot out the oven french rolls.  They also have a small deli section, humble but well stocked with salami, smoked and regular mortadella, hams, various other "coldcuts", frankfurters and a couple different brands of whole milk mozzarella cheese. But for me, the best part is being able tobuy 20, 30 or 50 grams of fresh yeast, at about $4.50 USD per kilogram
Il miglior fabbro