Author Topic: iSicilian  (Read 1244 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
iSicilian
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
Since I have a very active starter, I felt like experimenting in the kitchen last night.  I made a Sicilian pizza for lunch today with my Ischia starter.  It was light, crunchy and just enough of a sourdough taste to make me happy but not enough to make the rest of my family not want to eat it  >:D  My 10 year old and I like the taste of SD, but my hubby and 2 other children do not.

100%    Flour (50/50 blend of Best Bakers and Caputo semola di grano duro rimacinata)
  80%    Water
  25%    Ischia
    3%    Sea salt
    2.6% Sicilian EVOO

Mix salt into water to dissolve.  Add Ischia and mix until frothy.  Then add the EVOO.  Add flour a little at a time until well incorporated while mixing at low speed with dough hook for about 5 minutes.  Let rest for 10 minutes in the bowl. The dough is very wet.

With a little EVOO on the counter and the help of my bench scraper, I did a series of 6 stretch and folds at 10 minute intervals.  I put the dough into a lightly oiled square Sicilian pizza pan, covered it with the pan lid and let it ferment in the basement at 65F.  Total fermentation time was 13 hours - 1 hour at 72F, 9 hours at 65F and 3 hours at 72F.  At the beginning of the final 3 hours, I punched the dough down and gently stretched it with my fingertips to fill the pan and put the lid back on until it was time to bake.

Preheated the oven to 500F.  Baked with sauce only for the first 15 minutes and then baked another 10 minutes to brown the cheese.  My new go-to Sicilian recipe  :drool:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:43:22 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: iSicilian
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »
Great looking sicilian pie. The addition of the semola di grano duro rimacinata imparts a nice flavor and texture, IMO. Very nice undercarriage browning as well as cheese browning topside- a very balanced bake!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »
Great looking sicilian pie. The addition of the semola di grano duro rimacinata imparts a nice flavor and texture, IMO. Very nice undercarriage browning as well as cheese browning topside- a very balanced bake!

Thanks, Johnny.  My Daddy would be proud  ;)
Mary Ann

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »
Mary Ann,

Great job on your Sicilian!   :chef:  Your crumb looks fantastic!   :drool:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »
Mary Ann,

Great job on your Sicilian!   :chef:  Your crumb looks fantastic!   :drool:

Norma

Thanks, Norma.
Mary Ann

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »
Bada Friggen Bing!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »
Thanks for the workflo info Mary Ann....you rocked that pie girl, no bout a doubt it!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 08:14:05 AM »
Bada Friggen Bing!

:-D

Thanks for the workflo info Mary Ann....you rocked that pie girl, no bout a doubt it!  :chef:

Thanks, Bob.  I had a hankering for the flavor of this dough, so I made it and hopefully it will turn out some nice Italian bread today to go with meatballs and homemade ravioli  :chef:
Mary Ann