Author Topic: Mushrooms  (Read 6019 times)

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
Mushrooms
« on: March 15, 2004, 03:00:39 PM »
Well, if I would use mushrooms, I would prefer to use the sliced canned ones.

I dis-like fresh mushrooms on a pizza. I find they taste somewhat "moldy" in their raw uncooked form and on a pizza they are usually very dry.

Here in Europe, you will find almost always the fresh ones on a pizza, (Yuck). If I get them for some reason, I usually pick them off.

"Nouveau Cousine"...... :P

Pierre

« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 06:50:21 AM by Pierre »

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 11:19:54 AM »
Try to saute the shrooms in a little butter and garlic...outstanding!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:DKM's Chicago pizza
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 11:34:26 AM »
Try to saute the shrooms in a little butter and garlic...outstanding!

I agree!!  Saute fresh mushrooms in butter for about 30 minutes... better than anything from a can!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
Re:DKM's Chicago pizza
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 07:07:38 PM »
 ;DAhhhhh! Shrooms in butter, grilled, baked, fried or from a can.

I would eat them on a boat
I would eat them with a goat

I would eat them with a fox
I would eat them in a box

I would eat them here or there
I would eat them anywhere!!!!

Sorry, I had a flashback of reading to my kids.

If you like mushrooms try throwing a couple full shrooms cap upside down in the oven or on the grill takes about 5 min. at 3 to 400. Tastes just like deep fried muchrooms without the breading. I always cook about a dozen or so when I grill in the summer adding a little salt around the stem in the cap.
Company usually scarfs them down before I get a chance to have one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 07:10:43 PM by Foccaciaman »
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

JameZ

Re:Mushrooms
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 09:49:50 AM »
Company usually scarfs them down before I get a chance to have one.

I will hold you to that...Yummy...Yummy... :P
Shrooms next time for an appetizer?!?!?
There always kick ass on the grill!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline Big Al

• I'm a Pizza Fox
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 06:35:44 PM »
I would never put fresh cut mushrooms on a pizza, either take them out of a can or saute fresh ones in garlic and olive oil sauce, saute for jsut a few minutes not very long.
I think papa john's still does that, some ingredients need not be quite so fresh.
Big Al

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 01:18:33 AM »
Rarely Have I ever seen any pizza resturaunt use canned mushrooms on a pizza.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
Re: Mushrooms
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 10:43:35 AM »
I prefer fresh mushrooms, but whenever I cook a pizza with fresh cut mushrooms, a pool of moisture forms in the center of the pie. Should I try putting the mushrooms on after the rest of the pizza is already partially cooked, say for the last 2 minutes or so?

Steve

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 11:55:11 AM »
Rarely Have I ever seen any pizza resturaunt use canned mushrooms on a pizza.

Come to New York and you'll see plenty!

As for moisture from fresh Mushrooms-many people make the mistahe of washing Mushrooms,thus adding more water to them.They are already full of moisture naturally,so be sure not to do that.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Henrik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 06:25:09 PM »
I prefer fresh mushrooms, but whenever I cook a pizza with fresh cut mushrooms, a pool of moisture forms in the center of the pie. Should I try putting the mushrooms on after the rest of the pizza is already partially cooked, say for the last 2 minutes or so?

Steve

Steve,
My experience is that really fresh mushrooms does not sweat as much as older ones does...also, I cut them in quite thin slices parallel to the stem, and stick to the golden rule of not putting to much topping on the pie....the rest is then proper baking temperature, and moisture is not an issue.

Surely, i prefer the fresh ones, which adds the flavor of mushrooms....if you do not like it...I'll leave them out!

Henrik

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 08:08:38 PM »
Slice fresh criminis then mix with a little olive oil and salt. Put a single layer in a baking pan and roast them in your pre-heating pizza oven at 500 for 10-12 minutes. Roasting concentrates the flavor and dries them out a bit.
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline Ed

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 12:20:56 AM »
Tonight I sauteed mushrooms in butter and put them on tonights pizza.
I never considered doing that before till I saw this thread.  My wife and I thought it was great.

Thanks!

Ed

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 07:59:33 PM »
in buffalo everyone uses canned mushrooms, i don't know if its because they stay longer or taste issue, but thats what i prefer to use

Offline molly_72

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 07:42:37 AM »
My hubby and I also saute our mushrooms in butter and garlic. We discovered this method after just putting sliced fresh ones on a pizza and having a watery mess  :(   Plus we both love garlic so any way to get more of that flavour on our pizza is always a good thing  ;D
Stuffed crust, baby!

Offline oldnewbie

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 01:09:37 PM »
Slice mushrooms, not too thin. Toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Zap in microwave until they exude water and no longer look raw. Drain on paper towel. You loose some flavor in the lost liquid but the mushrooms have very good taste and texture on the pizza.
(I mix the exuded liquid into the sauce).

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 02:03:02 PM »
Plus we both love garlic so any way to get more of that flavour on our pizza is always a good thing  ;D

Try slicing up 5-6 cloves worth of garlic on a 14 inch pie, with a teaspoon of olive oil drizzeled on top.  About 1/16 inch thick per slice.  It's one of our family favorites and it's be wonderful.

Jack

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 11:00:14 PM »
Mushrooms, the button type are like flavor sponges.  Sweating, not sauteing with almost any flavoring will enhance the flavor of the mushrooms.  The moisture is driven off (so no watery mess) and the flavor is whatever you want.  Be careful that you remove from heat as soon as the water is driven off or they will burn.  Contrary to myth, washing mushrooms adds very little moisture to the mushroom even if left in water for many minutes.  In any event heating drives out the moisture.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 03:52:33 PM »
Lately I´ve had the urge to use mushrooms on pizzas.  Mushrooms are not commonly used in Brazilian culinary, so they can be a bit on the pricey side, (at least what I believe to be pricey, feel free to comment on what prices are in your local)

Porcini- dried- up to 472 brazilian reais per kilo, or about 439 dollars per pound!  (one pound is 2.2 kilos, right?)  *and this is with a "good" exchange rate!  This price is usually higher for smaller quantities- ex 50- 100 grams...When buying larger quantities, the price drops dramatically- I´m thinking about buying a 1 lb bag of dried porcinis, all big pieces- for about 84 U.S. dollars.  Curious- in the US or Europe, how much do dried ceps sell for?

Boletus Luteus-(dried Chilean mushrooms)  about 184 dollars per pound

fresh Portabelos/Criminis- 34 dollars a pound.

Ah- has anybody tried Shimenji mushrooms on pizza? what about oyster mushrooms? What´s their flavor like?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 08:07:17 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 10:30:13 PM »
Wow!!!  I should go into the mushroom export business.  I can see why they are not used in Brazil.  Plain button mushrooms go for a few dollars a pound here.  Since mushrooms are easy to grow you should start a mushroom farm and get rich!

I have not tried anything more exotic than botton and porcini.  Actually, I tried Shitake once but I didn't like the texture.

At those prices I would stick with cheaper ingredients.

I will have to keep your post in mind whenever I complain about how much food costs here.  Maybe I don't know how good I've got it.

Bill

Offline chiguy

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 11:46:51 PM »
Johnny the Gent,
As far as weight equivalents go (1Kilo is = 2.2pounds). Either way that is alot of money for some mushrooms.     Chiguy