Author Topic: Zesty (upside down) tomato square pie  (Read 978 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Zesty (upside down) tomato square pie
« on: September 15, 2013, 02:38:55 AM »
Baked this pie late Saturday night. This dough started off as a poolish, consisting of:

630 gm water
100 gm semola rimacinata "La Molisana" (semolina flour)
500 gm AP flour
2.5gm brown sugar
4 gm fresh compressed yeast

Once whisked together, I left it to ferment in the fridge for 48 hours, after which I incorporated the rest of the dough ingredients:

remaining 400 grams of AP flour
20 grams of salt
25 grams of soybean oil

Hand kneaded until smooth, with a couple stretch and folds, scaled, balled and back to the fridge for another 48 hours.

This pie was "zesty", because of the sauce ingredients. Inspired by Norma's "Tomato Pie" thread, I added some fresh, ripe tomatoes to the canned, peeled italian tomatoes, but with a couple of my own touches - some minced garlic and red onion, fresh oregano, a splash of balsamic vinegar to up the acidity, freshly ground black pepper, and of course salt and sugar. I took care not to pulse the daylights out of the sauce, and it had a nice, thick consistency to it. 

The doughball was stretched open to fit the rectangular pan with my fingertips, from the center out, followed by a gentle pat down ;) Once the whole milk mozzarella slices were laid on top of the dough, I went ahead and ladled on the sauce (upside down pie - L&B ish) - all the way to the edge - which would prove to be a good thing, because I ended up with a charred sauce line in spots, where the dough comes in contact with the pan. A healthy swig of EVOO over the sauced pie, and to the bottom shelf of the oven at 300deg celsius for about 8 minutes. I transferred to the top shelf (no broiler) and let it finish there for the last 5.

The bottom was nicely browned. This dough sprung up like a champ.  Decent, open crumb, considering the "low" hydration. Soft interior, good flavor and bite, and the cheese baked into the surface made for a nice change of pace. Enough of me blabbering - pics:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:44:25 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Zesty (upside down) tomato square pie
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 02:43:12 AM »
A couple more crumb shots:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:45:04 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline dhorst

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 02:50:49 AM »
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 02:55:30 AM »
Tease.  :drool:

Originally there were 8 pics in the OP, but figured I'd break it up and put two in the follow up post :-D
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »
Beautiful, sunny morning in South America.  While preparing the morning coffee, I remembered that I have two leftover slices from last night's tomato pie. Easy, I'll reheat them. Breakfast - done. This style of pie reheats really well, and crisps up nicely - cool, I thought. I took the liberty to "doctor up" the leftover slices with some linguiça calabresa defumada. This type of sausage, litereally translated would be smoked calabrian pork sausage - and while some variations are indeed spicy, I'm not sure if they are seasoned with calabrian peppers. This particular sausage wasn't hot at all - no problem, a habanero slice atop each slice should help. 4 sausage slices per pie >:D. Set on upping the protein for this morning's breakfast I cracked a couple quail eggs over each slice, too. Some red onion slices all around, and back to the oven until the eggs were "over easy".  Once out of the oven, some freshly ground black pepper and chopped parsley.  Breakfast is served! Have a great day yall!

*of the three photos - the first two were taken under sunlight.
Il miglior fabbro

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
John,

Your crispy edges, great browning of the bottom crust and beautiful crumb all look delicious!   ;D  Great job all around.   :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »
Gorgeous.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline mmac06

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
Amazing shots. Can I ask what what kind of pan you used? Did you let it rise before baking? How long?

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 05:25:17 AM »
John,

Your crispy edges, great browning of the bottom crust and beautiful crumb all look delicious!   ;D  Great job all around.   :chef:

Norma

thanks Norma!

Gorgeous.

Thanks Craig!

Amazing shots. Can I ask what what kind of pan you used? Did you let it rise before baking? How long?

thank you I used an enamelled steel pan. immediately after stretching the dough to fit the pan, it was topped and  baked.
Il miglior fabbro