Author Topic: Proofing  (Read 414 times)

Offline docjedi

Proofing
« on: July 25, 2014, 12:20:59 AM »
Can anyone describe proofing and the best temperatures to proof at. Right now, once we roll the balls, we stack the trays, one on top of each other and let them sit at room temp for 2 to 3 hours depending how hot it is outside. If its really humid, we stick the balls directly into the fridge - no idea on the temp honestly. Does anyone ever use proof box?

I'm trying to perfect my proofing and how we handle the dough. Any tips are most welcomed, or if anyone has any links to other discussions that are relevant that would be great.

Thank you!

Offline vtsteve

Re: Proofing
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 12:35:14 AM »
Proper proofing is intimately related to many factors: the style you are working in, the flour you're using, percent hydration, salt & yeast percentage, final dough temperature after mixing, the temperature of your fridge, time between mixing and planned use... if you provide more information, we can probably help you achieve your goals :).

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Doc,

Here is the general procedure that our resident expert Tom Lehmann recommends: Reply 18 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7499.msg64554;topicseen#msg64554. Although not stated in the procedure, large dough balls can require longer cross stacking, to enable them to cool properly. Also, I believe that during down stacking, the top dough box becomes the bottom of the stack, and so on with the rest of the dough boxes. See, for example, Tom's PMQ Think Tank post #15 at http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/pan-pizza-procedures.15195/#post-94032.

Peter

Offline docjedi

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »
Thank you i will take a look at this link! If i have any more questions i will let you guys know on this topic!

Offline mattbau4343

• I Love Pizza!
    • Specializing in Equipment Leasing, Credit Card Processing, & Merchant Cash Advance
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »
It depends on your recipe. Different mixtures will proof differently.

I used to oil the dough balls, stack them in trays and leave them for at least 18 hours. They would be great up to about 40 hours before overproofing. Mine always proofed in the cooler, not room temp.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 04:20:24 PM »
There is no "best" temperature. That is something you need to figure out. There are many different ways to skin the proofing cat. However, taking temps of your dough is very helpful. Just stick a thermopen in the dough. Also as peter mentioned, you need to cross stack you totes to make sure they cool more evenly.

Also if you are leaving them out for 2-3 hours then putting them in the walk in, you could also just leave the dough out as bulk for the 2-3 hours, then ball and immediately move into the walk-in cross stacked. Then once dough reaches your desired internal temp, close the totes by down stacking.