Author Topic: Looking for constructive critisim  (Read 2221 times)

Offline slybarman

Re: Looking for constructive critisim
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 12:34:49 PM »
I have snapped all my pizza pics with my smartphone which surely has not done the appearance of my pies any favors.  I think like most things making a pizza is probably easier than one would guess. Making really good pizza is much harder than one would think. Doing it consistently is harder still.

Offline Needssalt

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »
You're right, our viewpoints about which pizza (or fishing lure) looks best are pretty subjective. But they are informed by what we have seen in our own kitchens, what looks appetizing (or in the case of a fishing lure, what we think looks appetizing to a fish), what looks well baked, what looks well composed, etc.  We are more or less in the realm of art here, aren't we? None of us really know how the pizzas represented on the forum would actually taste; we're more or less supposing what they might taste like, and reacting to photos based on our own personal experience of eating pizza (or catching fish).

There is a certain tribal aspect to what we do. Norms arise over time, often influenced by others whom we've come to respect as knowledgeable. Some members ascend in perceived importance based on the knowledge and good looking pizza they display, and over time an aesthetic takes hold as to what's good and what's great.  And it's all pretty subjective, but ultimately based on our own experience in the reality of our own kitchens or restaurants (or fishing spots) we visit. 

As far as what my ideal pizza would be, I would have to say that the photo of Omid's pizzas that I posted above would be pretty darn close to ideal. Pizzeria Bianco is pretty close to ideal too.  I also really admire the more charred "coal fire" look which pt is working on (example below). Just about anything coming out of TXCraig's oven looks great to me. And Chao has certainly inspired me with his pizzas and lazy bread.  It seems that we are all constantly striving to reach the ideal and will probably never quite reach it. But therein lies the fun; it's all in the chase! 

Regards,

TinRoof

All great,.. great points.  I've been baking at home for years, yet reading these forums sometimes makes me question my own understanding, and criteria by which I judge.  All good things though....   And those pics are great examples, universally good stuff there.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »
   Pizza is just so subjective.  When I look around my local pizza-scape, I'm shocked at what people like.   I just have a hard time saying someone needs more top browning, or less toppings.  I know what I like, but..........   Maybe if you posted an example of what you consider your ideal, there could be a more objective comparison.   

You really got my wheels turning from this comment. I'm not exactly sure what my ideal pizza is anymore. Originally, I just wanted to re-create pizza from Long Island such as you might see in the picture below I took sometime last year.

Now that I look at it, it's not as appealing as some examples I've seen on this forum. I think I'm looking for a hybrid between the coal example TinRoof posted, and my picture. Not too much char, but a little more than the picture below. I guess I was naturally gravitating towards that style without even realizing it. Really interesting now that I'm thinking about it...

Josh

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 04:56:42 PM »
JD I really applaud you for putting yourself out there although, it is what many of us should be doing if we truely want to improve.  It should be a normal type of behavior instead of such a rare occurance.

Bingo! I always thought that's what this place was supposed to be about. When I post pics, I want people to tell me what they think is wrong with the pizza in the pics, because my #1 objective is to make it better next time. Or if I say something that's factually wrong or questionable, I want someone to correct me or call me out, if necessary. Conversely, if my pizza looks awesome, I'd like to hear that.

From what I remember, when I first decided to read this thread, I wanted to give you some constructive criticism, but there was nothing for me to say. I'll look through it again.

Offline kdefay

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 11:28:38 PM »
I'll second some of the other people's comments regarding the quantity of cheese and balance of toppings.  Sometimes a "less is more" approach is called for.  Keeping things in balance so that no one topping is too dominant is important.  I also prefer a bit more browning, but achieving that in a home oven is not something I have any experience with as I only use a deck oven. 

It really does look like you know what you are doing.  You are getting great oven spring.  I am one of those who does not use semolina.  I only use straight flour, but the trick is a bit of tossing to make sure the flour comes of.  I don't mean spinning, but I do toss it back and forth a couple of times to assist the stretching and it knocks off excess flour.  If you are not comfortable with something like that, than semolina is a great way to avoid the extra flour on the crust.  I went away from it because I got tired of having to sweep out my oven so often to remove the burnt semolina on my floor. 

Kirk
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 11:38:33 PM »
I also tried using semolina on my peel and it burned like crazy in the oven, especially the Blackstone.  I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong or not, but I haven't used it since.  I find that Caputo 00 works really well as bench and peel flour, so I've been using that for the past few months (ever since I got a 50 lb. bag of it). 

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »
Well, I just wanted to say thanks again and show tonight's effort. I used every single piece of advice with one exception; all the markets were sold out of semolina, so I couldn't use it exclusively.

I really appreciate the advice, and once again if you see something that should be improved please let me know.

Josh

Offline pt

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 10:37:39 PM »
First-rate

Offline PizzaNJ

• Just one more slice... After this one.
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »
Those pictures look so much better composed and lighted than your originals. Nice stuff.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »
Great looking pie. The basil adds a whole new dimension to the pie. The boule looks good, too!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline kdefay

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 04:43:11 AM »
I like the amount of cheese you put on this pizza.  It's not so heavy.  These photos are so much better than before as well.  I still think a bit more color in the crust would be nice, but that is simply my opinion. 
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!