Author Topic: pizza baguette  (Read 345 times)

Offline spazster

pizza baguette
« on: August 26, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
Has anyone here ever tried this? Yesterday, I made a pizza baguette. Overall it was pretty good, but I thought it was a little dense.  I used the no knead recipe with 70%  hydration and let the dough rise for 12 hours.  I then put it in the refrigerator for a 2 day cold rise.  When constructing the baguette , I shaped the dough in a rectangle, spread sauce on it along with the cheese and toppings, and then after it was dressed I rolled it up like I would when making cinnamon rolls to form the baguette.  I only allowed it to rise for about 10 minutes after that because I was afraid of the sauce destroying the gluten in the dough.  I believe I remember on here somebody saying that would happen if sauce were left on the dough for too long. Is this even true?

I would like to do this again eventually, but I would like it to rise more.  Is this doable or will the hindrance from the sauce and toppings just make it a futile endeavor?

I thought of a couple of things that may help and I'd like some input from experts.

1) Allow to dough to rise in rectangle form and then dress and cook the baguette right away.  I'm not too thrilled with this idea because I'm afraid it will stick too much, rise unevenly, and be significantly harder to roll.

2) Create a cheese barrier at the bottom as well as the top to minimize contact with the sauce and dough.

pizzapan