Author Topic: Is my Pampered Chef Stone to blame for my "just ok" Neapolitan pizza?  (Read 877 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
I have a Thermador Professional double wall oven and I always preheat my Pampered Chef stones for at least an hour at 550 degrees convection (hottest for this oven).  I've always had great results when making NY style and Americana style pizza, but not so much with Neapolitan pizza.  I cannot achieve that nice leoparding on my cornice or the bottom.  I use 00 flour with Peter Reinhart's Neapolitan recipe from his American Pie book.  I follow all instructions to the "T".  There does not seem to be a WFO building party in my near future, so is there hope for me making a Neapolitan with great results from a regular oven?  Should I look into Fibrament stones or some other brand?  Any suggestions would be appreciated   ;D
Mary Ann

Offline scott123

Re: Is my Pampered Chef Stone to blame for my "just ok" Neapolitan pizza?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 07:45:23 PM »
Blackstone  ;D

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »
Home ovens simply won't get anywhere near hot enough to make good Neapolitan pizza in a normal baking scenario. There is no recipe or stone that is going to make it any better.

If your broiler is strong enough, this method may work for you:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10024.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11654.0.html

You will probably get bet better results with AP flour than 00. Most if not all AP flours are malted and will brown a little easier than 00.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 08:10:32 AM »
Thanks, Craig!  I will try AP and the broiler next time I attempt Neapolitan or nearlypolitan LOL!  The last time I tried it with 00 flour, there was a disconnect between the crust and the sauce and cheese and it discouraged me from trying NP again.  I want to try for my daughter because she likes these best. I prefer NY style and can make a pretty damn good one in my Thermador that we went with in our kitchen remodel last year.

Perhaps I can convince my husband that we should build a WFO. We DO need a new deck or patio. Although I think it would have to be a stone patio versus a wooden/composite deck to withstand the weight of a WFO built into stone... ;D

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 08:15:41 AM »
Scott, 

After reading your appreciation thread by Chau, I get your comment now.  I hope you are enjoying your BS oven.  What a very nice thing to do!  Cool people on this forum  8)

;D Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 05:06:27 AM »
Mary Ann, I'm not sure that my attempt at brevity got my point across.

It's definitely worth seeing if your broiler is strong enough, but the odds are stacked against you for Neapolitan in a home oven. A WFO is an incredibly worthy goal, but, between now and when you build one, there's nothing wrong with a temporary stopgap- and, there's no better stopgap than a Blackstone.  $379 guarantees you Neapolitan bake times- something that no other equipment in this price range can do.

I haven't started playing with my BS yet, but I've seen what it can do.  If you want Neapolitan pizza, but aren't ready to invest in a WFO, there's no better route to take than a BS.