Author Topic: commercial oven for home use  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Trey

• I Love Pizza!
commercial oven for home use
« on: August 28, 2013, 03:38:38 AM »
I am in the process of saving up 20-25k for a commercial grade wood burning pizza oven for home use (including construction, outdoors). I can drive my car til the wheels fall off, but I would really like to have a pizza oven to make good pizza.  With this budget,  any suggestions on which oven you would choose with this budget?  Any thoughts on a gas/wood combo versus just wood?

Offline barryvabeach

Re: commercial oven for home use
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »
Trey, if you are looking for wood burning, I would suggest you post in Hearth ovens, or check pizzaquest, there are some wood burning oven fans there.  Till you get yours built, you should probably consider picking up a blackstone oven to play around to see how you like a gas fired pizza, and to use on days you don't have the time to fire up the wood burning oven.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: commercial oven for home use
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 07:19:36 PM »
I am in the process of saving up 20-25k for a commercial grade wood burning pizza oven for home use (including construction, outdoors). I can drive my car til the wheels fall off, but I would really like to have a pizza oven to make good pizza.  With this budget,  any suggestions on which oven you would choose with this budget?  Any thoughts on a gas/wood combo versus just wood?

From a guy who spent less than 1/3 of that (enclosure/construction included --- as a portion of an outdoor kitchen) on his oven, I'd urge you to consider spending less and therefore spending SOONER! ;D

From a performance standpoint you can definitely make professional-level pizzas in my generic $2100 engine (guts of the oven so to speak). Just need dry wood and excellent dough.

From a homeowners standpoint I don't have to tell you that you will NEVER recover the cost of that oven when you sell your house. Someone might be psyched that you have a WFO but they aren't going to give a rat's a$$ what kind it is.

There are many degrees of ovens between mine and the Acunto/SF-level ovens that you are considering. Why not consider a Forno Bravo/FGM/etc oven (42 inch at least) that will give you why you're looking for at a MUCH lower price.

TXCraig was destined to get his Acunto, I believe. I am not privy to what he paid, but I don't believe it was retail. Hopefully he will chime in and give his 2c on this matter.

Good luck!

John K
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:22:17 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

pizzapan