Author Topic: Grilling pizza  (Read 1262 times)

Offline misterspokes

• I Love Pizza!
Grilling pizza
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »
I am a person who has made pizza before as a home cook in the oven as well as working for both a chain and a local pizza place in my area. My issue is I've been looking for a decent dough recipe for a grilled pizza dough, I like a thin crust pizza that isn't a cracker crust and most of the doughs I know how to make are better suited to a thicker application and seem to not want to hold up to grilling, becoming a little too brittle in their flexibility, any suggestions?

Offline dsw@widenor.com

• Lifetime Member
  • Best Pizza Supplies
    • Best Pizza Supplies
Re: Grilling pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »
I recently used a new pizza dough recipe.  We grilled the dough on our Weber using a ceramic pizza stone.
You can find the recipe at http://www.pizza-accessories.com/2013/08/pizza-dough-recipe-weighed-not-measured/
For the Love of Pizza

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline dsw@widenor.com

• Lifetime Member
  • Best Pizza Supplies
    • Best Pizza Supplies
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »
I tried it with just the grate before.  I recall I did not like it.  I will have to revisit this technique again.  I still find the trick is getting the toppings melted and cooked.  Thanks.  I will let you know how it goes.
For the Love of Pizza

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
I bake all my NY style pizzas in a grill. If you intend to use the grill like an oven for NY style pizza, baking directly on the stone, there are three things you need to know:
  • Cover the bottom of your stone with aluminum foil. If you don't, the bottom of your pizzas will be black within a minute or two. It may not seem like this could possibly do much, but it makes a huge difference. This tip alone will save you years of frustration.
  • Peel the pizza onto the stone as quickly as possible. Once you land the pizza on the stone, immediately close the lid and set a timer for 4:00.
  • Don't open the grill until the timer goes off (unless you smell burning). If you open the grill before the timer goes off, you will lose all your precious top heat, which means the cheese and toppings will not be done when the bottom of the pizza is done.
It took me years to figure this stuff out, and there's probably still more to learn. Your setup likely will not work exactly like mine, but this is a good starting point. Even if you do everything right, the top will not come out as done as the bottom, but it's still a million times better than the pizzas I can produce in my oven.

This is not a great blog post, but it may help: http://ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com/2012/09/ryans-new-york-style_21.html.

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:28:51 PM »
Enjoyed your blog.  I will have to give your method a try!

Offline dsw@widenor.com

• Lifetime Member
  • Best Pizza Supplies
    • Best Pizza Supplies
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
Thanks.  I am new at blogging.  But not pizza.  If you have any suggestions.  I welcome them.  I am going to try the "no pizza stone" on the grill technique next.  Have you tried it?
For the Love of Pizza

Offline parallei

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »
A great recipe and a simple guide.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/07/the-pizza-lab-how-to-top-grilled-pizzas.html

Mmmph has the right idea.  If your going to grill a pizza, grill it and except the tasty (more like a grilled flat bread) results for what they are!  I do them this way on occasion and always enjoy them.

Offline misterspokes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »
Thank you very much, I will keep that in mind.

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 09:33:59 PM »
Ryan I like your blog! In my favorites ;D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »
Cool. It needs some love. It's been a pretty lonely blog ever since I created it.

pizzapan