Author Topic: Veggies, by Evelyne Slomon  (Read 1592 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Veggies, by Evelyne Slomon
« on: February 16, 2006, 12:59:56 PM »
Evelyne Slomon, who is known to many by her book on pizza, has become a contributing member of the PMQ Staff. One of her first features for PMQ is on vegetables used as toppings for pizzas, at http://www.pmq.com/mag/2006january-february/veggiesupreme.php.

Peter

Offline BigV

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Veggies, by Evelyne Slomon
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 11:12:00 PM »
Good article.

I really enjoy using various vegetable toppings and have tried lots of combinations.  Controlling moisture content is certainly a big issue.

One of the onions she mentions is the Walla Walla sweet.  It is one of my favorite onions but I've not found a combination that works well on pizza.  It tends to make the pizza too sweet and over powers the other flavors.

I even tried them with a blend of red and yellow onion and they just seem to overpower.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Veggies, by Evelyne Slomon
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 02:00:55 AM »
big v, I wonder if using a san marzano tomato would help balance out the flavors of the pie better.  I have noticed that many brands of SM are much less sweet than the normal California tomato that most US brands use.  The Non DOP La Regina's and the La Bella's come to mind as two types that would probably work well since they are quite dry.

Also, any time I make a pie with something sweet, I try to balance it with something salty (pepperoni, ham, olives, etc.).