Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 264 times)

Offline Cali-Forno

• I Love Pizza!
Hello All
« on: August 23, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »
Hello all, My Name's Seth, and I'm new to this forum. I'm new to baking and pizza making as well. I'll post some pics of my early attempts at pizza as well as a few of my french bread.

I'm looking at starting a pizzeria in Cali colombia with a friend there, and would love to share in some of your insights. My biggest problem as I see it is the availability of high-gluten flour, priced economically, in Colombia. I'm particularly interested in learning what I can do if high-gluten flour is just not a realistic possibility...

Anyway, more later as I continue to practice, eat, practice, eat, practice, eat, etc.   :chef::pizza: :chef: :pizza: :chef: :pizza:

I've read a bunch of posts, and admit that much of it is above my head at present, though not I hope by too much, I've been studying and am passionate about this... In particular I was reading two threads which attracted my attention, and am beyond impressed by the quality of the pizza many of you are turning out...

One is the thread started by Polo1523, his pizzas look really amazing.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26305.0.html

And another is a thread started by Needssalt, also with amazing pizzas.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15856.0/prev_next,next.html#new

--Seth, Cali-Forno
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:16:07 PM by Cali-Forno »

scott123

Re: Hello All
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:33:40 AM »
Seth, welcome to the forum.

It won't be easy, but you should be able to find high gluten flour in Colombia.  We've had a few members that have run into brick walls seeking flour in parts of Asia, but I think that where ever you have bread, you should have high gluten flour. Talk to bakeries.

Granite has very poor resistance to thermal shock- it might not just crack, but it might violently crack.  I would avoid it at all costs as a baking material.  For NY in a home oven, as long as you have a broiler in the main compartment and can hit 530 F., 1/2" steel is your best bet.

Offline Cali-Forno

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Hello All
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the granite. I had read granite was a good choice, are you sure? I will look into it ASAP.

pizzapan