Author Topic: HELP! I keep adjusting my percentages.... BUTT!  (Read 688 times)

Offline PizzaFlorentina

• Learning to make better pizzas
    • Pizza Florentina
HELP! I keep adjusting my percentages.... BUTT!
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:27:10 PM »
I don't know what I am doing!

Here is what I am using now, to make 14" pizzas;

Sugar 50 grams
Water 110 degrees 660 grams
Disolve the sugar and add the
ADY 13 grams dissolve and let sit 10-12 minutes
Add 16 grams of salt and dissolve
Add 1200 grams of flour and mix in my kitchenaid on level 1 until balled up
Add 50 grams of oil
Knead in the kitchen aid for 10 minutes
Separate into 4 balls of about 485 grams each very very lightly oiled and put into round individual plastic containers that have also been very very lightly oiled.
Let set 1 hour
Spread into pies and add salsa, cheese and toppings
Cook on a screen, on the rack, in my house style double wall oven, at 500 degrees for about 10 minutes

It tastes great! But it is dense like bread and not light and airy like I see in the photos you all are posting. It has a nice crust on the bottom and a golden color around the crust on the top.

I will put up some photos in a few minutes.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: HELP! I keep adjusting my percentages.... BUTT!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:05:21 AM »
PF;
Here is what I would suggest;
1) Use only about 1/2 cup of warm water (100 to 105F) to hydrate the yeast in.
2) Add only a pinch of sugar to the yeast suspension and stir for about 15-seconds. Allow to hydrate/activate for 10-minutes.
3) Have the remainder of your water at a temperature of about 75F.
4) Add the yeast suspension and the 75F water to the mixing bowl. Note: You might want to consider increasing the water to 60% absorption (720-grams total).
5) Add the remainder of the sugar and the salt on top of the flour.
6) Mix as you normally do.
7) Portion into doughs ball as you are presently doing.
8) Place dough balls into your oiled containers, and place into the fridge uncovered for 2-hours.
(9) Place lids on the containers and allow the dough to cold ferment overnight in the fridge. This dough should keep for at least 2 to 3-days (possibly longer) if kept in the fridge.
10) Remove the number of containers from the fridge that you need to make your "pizza fix", and allow to set at room temperature for about 2-hours.
11) Turn the dough out of the container(s) onto a flour dusted surface, flour both sides of the dough ball and begin opening the dough ball into a pizza skin. An easy way to do this is to use a rolling pin to open the dough to about 2/3 of the finished diameter, then set the dough piece aside to rest for 5-minutes, now you are ready to begin opening the dough by hand to the full desired diameter.
12) Place the pizza skin onto a seasoned screen, lightly brush with olive oil, dress as you wish.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline PizzaFlorentina

• Pizza Florentina
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 11:56:55 AM »
Thank you so much for your help, Dr., I tried using less sugar and water in the activation of the yeast and that has made the dough a little more airy.

My dough is a little sticky when it comes out of the mixer now, but, you think I should ad more water?

I am going to try a batch exactly like you described today. I am sure they are going to come out perfect. I just don't want to pay to refrigerate 50 dough balls. My current goal is to sell 50 pizzas a day.

So there is no way to make a quality dough without refrigeration?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline PizzaFlorentina

• Pizza Florentina
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 12:05:35 PM »
Here are some fotos of how my pizzas are coming out now...

I don't have any showing the crust on the inside, but I will take some today and then post them. The open one in this group is stuffed crust (stuffed with sharp cheddar and mozzarella)

pizzapan