Author Topic: Cliff notes for using the Blackstone oven?..... and achieving a decent......  (Read 5155 times)

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
looking/tasting neapolitan looking pizza?

Thinking about buying a Blackstone oven to use in my garage in the New England winter months...... it is kind of hard to use my WFO in 2 feet of snow...... :)

I know that there are several threads on the BO subject, but it would be nice to have a thread with concise notes on what the mods or the techniques are necessary to accomplish a decent neapolitan looking pizza......

Any pioneers, and don't let me mention any names,  willing to enlighten the rest of us with their findings?

Thank you very much.....
Paolo

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
Wow, nobody wants to divulge their secrets........ :)

To simplify it, all I wanted to know is, what kind of mods, if anything, should be attempted on a out of the box Blackstone oven to achieve decent pizzas?

Thanks.....

Paolo

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Paolo,

I only tried one mod to my BS and that was putting the spacers under the bottom stone.  I had decent results with a Neapolitan pizza, but I am not there.  Other members are doing more mods and having great results.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
Thank you Norma!
Paolo

Offline bbqchuck

I just fired mine a few minutes ago.  I have the ball thrust bearing mod.  I think i'll make a disk of sheet metal to go above the collar to act as a heat sheild for the bearing next.

Offline barryvabeach

Paolo,  I don't know if there are cliff notes for Neapolitan, but general cliff notes are here http://www.pizzawiki.info/index.php?title=Blackstone_Pizza_Oven

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
Paolo,  I don't know if there are cliff notes for Neapolitan, but general cliff notes are here http://www.pizzawiki.info/index.php?title=Blackstone_Pizza_Oven

Thanks Barry, much appreciated!
Paolo

Offline italdream

Provided that a real NP-style requires a WFO, my BS does very good NP-style. Not hard at all. It has been written extensively on the BS forum.
Below a few pictures of various pizzas. I am still experimenting so they range from three-day rise to a turbo 3 hour-rise (depending often on how much advance notice I have before having people over for pizza), with our without deflectors. However, the process is overall very easy, and the dough does not differ from regular NP-style in a WFO.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:49:58 PM by italdream »

Offline PizzaJerk

Beautiful pies there. Can you divulge a little on the toppings holder?

Regards,
Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline italdream

Regards,
Anthony
Edit: See below for the holder. I thought for a second you asked about the toppings.

Hello,

1. the first one is a capricciosa, S.marzano tomatoes, various type of Italian affettati, with artichokes, olives (it is missing the mushrooms), buffalo mozz., grated parmigiano
2. bufalina doc (margherita with Buffalo mozz.)
3. White buffalo mozz and burrata with basil, a bit of truffle oil, and fresh capicollo at the end
4. Diavola - tomato, hot oil, hot pepper and hot salami, buffalo mozz.
5. panfocaccia, i.e. neapolitan style focaccia (pan means bread - was cooked on the stone like all others) - just oil and salt
6. white with basil and salami
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:03:55 PM by italdream »

Offline italdream

Regards,
Anthony
Sorry, you meant the holder. I bought it at a chef supply store in my areas (NY suburbs). Not sure about brand (I do not think it has any). Sorry.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:08:36 PM by italdream »

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
Italdream - which mods are u using to get hardly any char on your cheese?  Awesome pies

Offline italdream

Italdream - which mods are u using to get hardly any char on your cheese?  Awesome pies

Hello pac, I made my own version of the "chau-flector". Costed me two dollars and basically almost no skills involved.
I bought two 1-dollar metal spatulas at wallmart, removed the handle and put them under the top stone, close to the flame.
I played with the angle a few times, until I got the right cooking. Right now the flame is directed for the most part on the cornicione.
The top cook nicely but does not burn.

The leoparding will vary based on the dough. I get best results with a 3-day rise. Unfortunately, I use fresh cake yeast (used to have camaldoli starter but not anymore).

Anyway, I am still experimenting but have not had one bad pizza yet. The BS is overall pretty easy to work with.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
 wood fire or not those are beautiful neapolitan pie!!!

Offline italdream

Thanks. I appreciate. Here is a bit of a creative detour of some time ago: NP white pizza/focaccia, served finger-food style.

Toppings are buffalo mozz., bit a smoked scamorza, basil, french fries, and pancetta. I usually put a few walnuts but forgot to do so.

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
Hello pac, I made my own version of the "chau-flector". Costed me two dollars and basically almost no skills involved.
I bought two 1-dollar metal spatulas at wallmart, removed the handle and put them under the top stone, close to the flame.
I played with the angle a few times, until I got the right cooking. Right now the flame is directed for the most part on the cornicione.
The top cook nicely but does not burn.

The leoparding will vary based on the dough. I get best results with a 3-day rise. Unfortunately, I use fresh cake yeast (used to have camaldoli starter but not anymore).

Anyway, I am still experimenting but have not had one bad pizza yet. The BS is overall pretty easy to work with.
Thanks Ital.  Going to copy the "Ital-flector" soon!

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
WOW Italdream!.....

Excellent job with those pies!

Just 2 quick questions:

1) Which mods do you absolutely recommend on a stock BS?

2) Could you post some pics of your "wallmart spatula" deflector?

Grazie mille!
Paolo

Offline italdream

WOW Italdream!.....

Excellent job with those pies!

Just 2 quick questions:

1) Which mods do you absolutely recommend on a stock BS?

2) Could you post some pics of your "wallmart spatula" deflector?

Grazie mille!

Hello Mangia, Thanks. I will soon post pictures of the deflector mod.

The BS is good out of the box and will yield good results as is. The only problem may be a higher top temperature which might cause burning especially with sub-par toppings.
I use only buffalo mozz, which given the moisture is already less prone to burning.
Anyway, that's where the deflector comes into play. It will redirect some of the heat in a specific location around the side, therefore the cornicione.

In sum, tests run by user Tampa show that the #1 feature is the height of the plate (not a mod, just a setup). I recommend about 1/2 (max 3/4 inch) from the metal body.
You can use the deflector to redirect the heat. People also put some metal nuts to create a small air buffer between the bottom stone and the metal plate
Optionally, you can add a a ball bearing but that is to increase the life of the motor not the pizza.

I also think that the heat dynamics are so good, that I take full responsibility for any shortcomings in my pizzas. I truly believe that we the right dough and technique, the oven makes a good NP-style (minus some of the the wood/smoky flavor)

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
I thank you for your input and anxiously await for the pics!
Paolo

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
got my 2 walmart spatulas and broke off the handles (that hurt when I clipped and then snapped off the handles).  I placed them under the top stone.  Trials begin tomorrow!