Author Topic: Cliff notes for using the Blackstone oven?..... and achieving a decent......  (Read 4663 times)

Offline italdream

got my 2 walmart spatulas and broke off the handles (that hurt when I clipped and then snapped off the handles).  I placed them under the top stone.  Trials begin tomorrow!
I used a dremel so it was not that bad. You need to play with the angle after a few bakes to reach a good balance. Additionally, Chau is to be credited with the deflector idea. I just found a simpler way for DIY-impaired people like myself.

Good luck with the trials!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:04:32 AM by italdream »

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
Yeah - I would have used a less dangerous method, but was giddy with excitement when I brought them home!.  Yep - working great.  Had very nice leoparding and cheese not burned.  As you mention, need to work on my angles still,  A little more towards the edges, but so far, that is a great $2 investment - and you can turn down the amount of propane pressure.

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
Pictures please.......  ;)
Paolo

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
italdream - have you thought about using a 3rd spatula?  I may get one more to cover more flame.

Offline italdream

italdream - have you thought about using a 3rd spatula?  I may get one more to cover more flame.
Yes I thought about it the first time, but two spatulas were getting me where I wanted to be. Besides I was not sure if it was worth the investment.  ;D
But if you end up trying I would be curious to know your thoughts.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Can someon PLEASE post a pic of the spatula mod... view from outside up towards the top so I can see the placement and how you are modifying the spatulas.

Thanks!

Q

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
 yes, that would be very helpful.

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
sorry - will try and take a pic this week.  Honestly, all you have to do is buy the $1 spatula from walmart, cut the actual spatula end so you have an inch or so left on the neck.  Then lift up the top stone, and set in place, drop the stone back in place.  If you get the spatula, and look at the top stone, you will figure it out.  This isn't a metal shop task.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
cut the actual spatula end so you have an inch or so left on the neck. 

That's the missing piece of info from the previous posts.

Thanks!

pizzapan