Author Topic: Lehmann Dough Calculator bug  (Read 861 times)

Offline derricktung

Lehmann Dough Calculator bug
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »
Not sure where to put this (which forum), so I took my best guess.

When using the Lehmann Dough calculator, if there is a "0" in front of the hydration section, the recipe seems to recalculate into something else.

For example: 

Set to dough weight to 9.5
Set hydration to 70.  Review recipe.

Set hydration to 070, review recipe again.  The hydration calculates out to 55.99% instead.

Noticed this issue after I made two batches of dough yesterday (90 doughs) only to realize that the dough was too dry... on the plus side, it makes great bagels!  =)

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Lehmann Dough Calculator bug
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 03:49:19 PM »
This is unusual. I did a google search and found this. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7782747/why-is-050-not-equal-to-50-in-the-following-snippet

Because 050 is considered octal and 50 is considered decimal.

So x = 050 basically means x = 40.

Then I tested it in the Lehman calculator and it worked (050 = 40). So basically you lost about 10% hydration

It's code and I know nothing about code so I'm sure someone else will explain in better detail.
Josh

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »
This matter was raised before in connection with the preferment dough calculating tool and was discussed starting at Reply 9 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4996.msg194755.html#msg194755 . As noted later in that thread, I amended the discussions of the various dough calculating tools to warn users against using leading zeros.

Peter

Offline derricktung

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:03:12 AM »
Thanks!  I didn't realize this was covered already... I was on my way to the kitchen without my recipe, and asked a family member to send me a copy using the calculator.  She didn't remove the "0", which is what must've thrown it off.

It's certainly a mistake I won't make again... though the mistakes are pretty tasty still.  We ended up using the 51% dough to make a test batch of bagels, and they came out quite good.  Now I've got about 100 more bagels to make, after we gave half the drier dough away to family/partners.