Author Topic: Mortarless WFO Update  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Michael130207

Mortarless WFO Update
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »
Here is an update on the mortarless oven I built last year. Details  can be found here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18944.msg258700.html#msg258700

Could have run it hotter for these pies, only in 700's for floor 900+ for ceiling,  but was busy entertaining. So far there are no signs of corrosion of the angle iron holding the ceiling up. Everything seems pretty much the same as it was when I first built it.  Again if I had it to do over again I would center the door. I love the low ceiling.

The pies seen below are 14", 340g, Caputo 00, 60% hydration, IDY. Cold ferment 2 days. Pies took about 90 to 120 seconds.
Michael

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Mortarless WFO Update
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »
While all 3 are beautiful, that plain cheese is making me hungry.
Josh

Offline WaterDog

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
Looking really good, Michael.  Your original post inspired me to build a dry stacked oven similar to yours. Still working out some things, but I hope to have some post worthy pictures soon. So far its been an education in fire management and heat distribution, but that's all part of the adventure.

You're setting the bar for stacked oven results IMHO.

-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »
Beautiful. Who needs mortar?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Michael130207

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I was really pleased to see no signs of corrosion on the angle iron. If the oven endures without significant degradation it seems this may be a good method to significantly simplify and decrease the cost of building a rudimentary home oven. I still need to dial in my fire management and pizza making skills, but I am interested to seem how they develop and how the oven lasts. 

I'll try to post occasional updates and photos of the inside of the oven over time.
Michael

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 01:03:57 AM »
Your pies have kind of a Motorino look to them, and in my experience, they have been in the 90-120+ minute bake time as well.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:36:27 AM »
Your pies have kind of a Motorino look to them, and in my experience, they have been in the 90-120+ minute bake time as well.
Craig,

I assume you meant 90-120+ seconds.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:52:05 AM »
Craig,

I assume you meant 90-120+ seconds.

Peter

Yes.  :-D  90-120 min might be a touch too long.

Offline Michael130207

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 11:55:35 PM »
Oven running strong tonight. With temps approaching 50F outside and 10-15 mph gusts of wind it was a bits challenging, but fed 27 tonight. Flames really rolling nicely along the ceiling of the oven.
Michael

Online misterschu

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »
Considering you seemed to have built your original mortarless and turned out beautiful pies for, what I estimate, ~$250 or less, you could put together a nice lego-style build guide, and even charging $40 for the guide, undercut all the other just for pizza ovens (blackstone, 2stone, kettle, mighty pizza oven), though mileage may vary depending on local brick/iron prices.  Yours may cost more to heat, being wood and uninsulated, but you get to advertise as "authentic wood-burning."

Pretty awesome evolution from little mound on the ground to mountain towering above you.  And some great looking output!

pizzapan