Author Topic: Mortarless WFO Update  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
Mortarless WFO Update
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »
Here is an update on the mortarless oven I built last year. Details  can be found here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18944.msg258700.html#msg258700

Could have run it hotter for these pies, only in 700's for floor 900+ for ceiling,  but was busy entertaining. So far there are no signs of corrosion of the angle iron holding the ceiling up. Everything seems pretty much the same as it was when I first built it.  Again if I had it to do over again I would center the door. I love the low ceiling.

The pies seen below are 14", 340g, Caputo 00, 60% hydration, IDY. Cold ferment 2 days. Pies took about 90 to 120 seconds.
Michael

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Mortarless WFO Update
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »
While all 3 are beautiful, that plain cheese is making me hungry.
Josh

Offline WaterDog

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
Looking really good, Michael.  Your original post inspired me to build a dry stacked oven similar to yours. Still working out some things, but I hope to have some post worthy pictures soon. So far its been an education in fire management and heat distribution, but that's all part of the adventure.

You're setting the bar for stacked oven results IMHO.

-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »
Beautiful. Who needs mortar?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I was really pleased to see no signs of corrosion on the angle iron. If the oven endures without significant degradation it seems this may be a good method to significantly simplify and decrease the cost of building a rudimentary home oven. I still need to dial in my fire management and pizza making skills, but I am interested to seem how they develop and how the oven lasts. 

I'll try to post occasional updates and photos of the inside of the oven over time.
Michael

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 01:03:57 AM »
Your pies have kind of a Motorino look to them, and in my experience, they have been in the 90-120+ minute bake time as well.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:36:27 AM »
Your pies have kind of a Motorino look to them, and in my experience, they have been in the 90-120+ minute bake time as well.
Craig,

I assume you meant 90-120+ seconds.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:52:05 AM »
Craig,

I assume you meant 90-120+ seconds.

Peter

Yes.  :-D  90-120 min might be a touch too long.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 11:55:35 PM »
Oven running strong tonight. With temps approaching 50F outside and 10-15 mph gusts of wind it was a bits challenging, but fed 27 tonight. Flames really rolling nicely along the ceiling of the oven.
Michael

Offline misterschu

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »
Considering you seemed to have built your original mortarless and turned out beautiful pies for, what I estimate, ~$250 or less, you could put together a nice lego-style build guide, and even charging $40 for the guide, undercut all the other just for pizza ovens (blackstone, 2stone, kettle, mighty pizza oven), though mileage may vary depending on local brick/iron prices.  Yours may cost more to heat, being wood and uninsulated, but you get to advertise as "authentic wood-burning."

Pretty awesome evolution from little mound on the ground to mountain towering above you.  And some great looking output!

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »
Pulled off the winter cover yesterday for first bake since last fall. Thought I would post for those wondering about the durability of this design approach. Took a look at steel angle iron and they don't seem to show more than negligible surface rust. Below are some photos from last nights bake and shots of angle iron and exterior yesterday. So far seems to be holding up pretty well.
Michael

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »
Finally felt like I got the hang of managing my oven yesterday. It was always a bit unbalanced with a floor that was too conductive. Rolling flames along the ceiling were required to get the top and bottom to cook at the same rate. I placed a cordierite pizza stone on the floor yesterday and got my best results yet. The stone allowed me to run the oven a bit hotter with the floor around 800F instead of 700F. Walls were around 850F. The result was a balance bake with my fastest times yet, around 70 seconds. It seems the minimum preheat for a good bake is about 5 hours for this oven.
Michael

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Michael - some of the finest mortarless WFO pies I've ever seen. Very, very nice. I love that shrimp pie.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »
A very nice oven and lovely pizzas.  I do not think you need to worry about the angle rusting away as long as it doesn't get wet.  If you get the angles red hot you may get some scaling, but that is about it.

I am moving towards the longer firings too, if nothing else the oven is easier to manage when it is fully heat soaked.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 05:10:28 PM »
Michael,

Great job on your pizzas!  Your idea of using a cordierite pizza stone was inventive to get your bottom crusts just right.  8)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 05:28:03 PM »
Thanks for your generous comments guys. I read your postings regularly and derive all sorts of ideas and inspiration from them.  Now that I am comfortable with the oven I have to work on improving my dough. Getting rid of those large bubbles has been on my to do list for a while. I plan on reading Craig's work flow again and trying to follow it as best as I can.

Norma,

I wish I could say the cordierite idea was original, but like most things pizza, I read about floor conduction problems and possible solutions here on the forum. I'm glad I did as it has made a big difference in the easy of use of the oven and the final quality of the product. I might buy a few of the stones and cut them up to cover the entire floor. 

Michael

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 05:38:10 PM »

Norma,

I wish I could say the cordierite idea was original, but like most things pizza, I read about floor conduction problems and possible solutions here on the forum. I'm glad I did as it has made a big difference in the easy of use of the oven and the final quality of the product. I might buy a few of the stones and cut them up to cover the entire floor.

Michael,

At least you were willing to try out other solutions to make your pizzas better, and did the reading to find out about what possible changes you could make.  There is a wealth of information here on the forum.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 10:04:03 PM »
Those pies look awesome, especially the last one. I showed my wife a pic of that and she started drooling.  :drool:  Had to get her away from the keyboard.

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 10:29:01 AM »
Those pies look awesome, especially the last one. I showed my wife a pic of that and she started drooling.  :drool:  Had to get her away from the keyboard.

Thanks, I know not everyone cares for shrimp on pizza, but it is a favorite with my family. I like it with a small amount of fresh mozz, some lemon zest and olive oil.
Michael

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 01:00:16 PM »
Thanks, I know not everyone cares for shrimp on pizza, but it is a favorite with my family. I like it with a small amount of fresh mozz, some lemon zest and olive oil.

I made one with shrimp and Spanish chorizo last night - one of my new favorites.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan