Author Topic: Do I really need to seed/skin Romas?  (Read 958 times)

Offline kramer73

Do I really need to seed/skin Romas?
« on: August 30, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »
I got a 25 pound box of Romas from my CSA yesterday and planned on making sauce.  Last year I threw my tomatoes through the food mill and then took the puree and put it in the oven for a few hours to cook down.

Do I really need to skin and seed Romas, or is this just a personal preference?

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Do I really need to seed/skin Romas?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:21:21 PM »
it should always come down to personal preference, however, the latest findings are that the seeds and the liquid sack they are in, are the tastiest part of the tomato.

Offline francesco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:36:07 PM »
The sauce depends by your pizza stile. I'm an Italian pizzamaker and my specialty is the Verace Napoletana. In this case the rule "imposes" the use of peeled Roma tomatoes (lightly milled) without any regard about the seeds. On the other hand I used to make sauce for the sicilian deep dish pizza (sfincione) using whole fresh tomatoes boiled and barely crushed.  :pizza:

Offline kramer73

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
I may just blitz them in the food processor and them cook them down.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »
I've made sauce from fresh tomatoes, I like to cut a small "X" at the bottom of the tomato and drop them in boiling water for a minute to be able to peel them easily, simply use the "x" cut as easy peeling starting points. After removing the skin I just cut out the tough stem core and then crush the tomatoes a little before a slight cooking. I don't worry about removing seeds, they don't bother me.

Offline kramer73

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 12:20:06 AM »
I've made sauce from fresh tomatoes, I like to cut a small "X" at the bottom of the tomato and drop them in boiling water for a minute to be able to peel them easily, simply use the "x" cut as easy peeling starting points. After removing the skin I just cut out the tough stem core and then crush the tomatoes a little before a slight cooking. I don't worry about removing seeds, they don't bother me.

I've done it that way before too.  I have them in my kitchen now, and will take care of them on Sunday.  I think they should be ok until then.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
Krammer

The only issue I can think of to consider with the food processor is that crushed seeds can cause the sauce to take on a bitter edge, especially during cooking, whereas leaving them whole will not. But, you can always give it a try.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline kramer73

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »
Krammer

The only issue I can think of to consider with the food processor is that crushed seeds can cause the sauce to take on a bitter edge, especially during cooking, whereas leaving them whole will not. But, you can always give it a try.

That's what I was thinking too.  I also thought about roasting them in the oven, but didn't really want to add olive oil.  I have time today, so I'll just blanch them all today.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Offline caymus

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »
Just curious..How many quarts do you get from 25 lbs? 

Offline kramer73

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 04:57:10 PM »
Just curious..How many quarts do you get from 25 lbs?

still working on it, lol

Offline kramer73

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 05:07:42 PM »
Here it is so far.  I had this nearly full, plus another 5 quart pot.  The pot reduced on the stovetop while this reduced in a 200 degree oven.  I started reducing them around 9 last night, and transferred the 5 quart pot to this roaster around 10 this morning.  I just took it out of the oven, so I'll wait until it cools to transfer it to quart-sized bags.

Offline caymus

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
One year I tried to make sauce with a few hundred leftover garden tomatoes of various types. I ended up with something that looked like mashed pumpkin.  I kept reducing it to try to develop a flavor.

Offline kramer73

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 08:25:38 PM »
Just brought these down to the freezer.  I did nine 2 cup bags, and one 2.5 cup bag.

That comes out to about 5 quarts.