Author Topic: Troubleshooting new set up  (Read 375 times)

Offline Malanga

Troubleshooting new set up
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:04:03 AM »
Tried posting this in the newbie forum but no response, so here goes:

In a new house and trying to work my way back into the homemade pizza game.  At the old place we had a gas oven with a bottom broiler.  My goal was to make solid NYC style pizza.  With some help from Scott123, I was able to set up an oven-in-an-oven hearth using quarry tiles (pics in the link to follow) along with a firebrick covering for the temp probe.  After some tweaking, I was able to produce a fairly decent NYC style pie (Here's a write up and some pics of the oven: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19236.0.html)

Long story short, I went down the low-carb diet road, lost a crap load of weight and stopped making pizza.  Fast forward a bit, and I allow myself one cheat meal a week, and what better way to do so than to make some homemade goodness that will replenish my glycogen supply and satisfy my cravings all at once. 

We're in a new place now.  Electric oven.  Top broiler.  Made a few pies the other day and they were kinda crappy (most likely bc I used too much yeast I'm thinking, and I went with .10 thickness factor instead of my usual .07).  The stone was reading 600.  I had it on the second rack from the top (only bc the top rack is too darn close to the broiler wires to allow a decent launch).  I used the broiler to brown the tops.  The dough had a little spring but lacked that hole structure that we're after.  All in all, it tasted more like a bread than a pizza :(

So, besides dialing back on the yeast big time, going back to my old comfort zone for TF, and maybe adding another day in the fridge (I went 2 for the last one) what else would you vets recommend?  Building the hearth again?  Covering the probe (and is this safe in an electrical oven)? Super easy to set up, but is it necessary?  My gut tells me that it's all in the dough considering I was hitting 600+ temps on the stone, which should be enough for a pretty good NYC style pie.  Although covering the probe would kick up the spring a bit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  My pizza making self-confidence took a major hit on Saturday.  Help me bounce back!!!  Thanks folks!

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Troubleshooting new set up
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »
My gut tells me that it's all in the dough considering I was hitting 600+ temps on the stone, which should be enough for a pretty good NYC style pie. 

How thick is your stone? Do you hand stretch or use a rolling pin? I agree with your gut, and from reading your process I would assume you're having a dough issue and not an oven issue. Pictures are better than write-ups so if you have any, do share.
Josh

Offline Malanga

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:19:11 PM »
How thick is your stone? Do you hand stretch or use a rolling pin? I agree with your gut, and from reading your process I would assume you're having a dough issue and not an oven issue. Pictures are better than write-ups so if you have any, do share.

Thanks JD.  No pics for this last time unfortunately.  I was THAT pissed off; emotion clouded my judgement!  Haha!  The stones are inch think.  At the last place I got the undercarriage pretty much exactly where I wanted it to be; although I was not content with the top, doming did help things a bit.

I do hand stretch.  Use the cuisine art to mix.  Try to keep it on the conservative side bc in the past going to long with the mixing activated way too much gluten creating a sticky mess and a lackluster dough. 

Do you have any recommendations regarding a simple dough formulation? 

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »
I'm reluctant to give you any recommendations since you've been working with Scott already. How about you share your dough formula and as much info as possible about how you make your dough, and we'll all see if anything obvious is going on.
Josh

Offline Malanga

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:22:33 AM »
I'm reluctant to give you any recommendations since you've been working with Scott already. How about you share your dough formula and as much info as possible about how you make your dough, and we'll all see if anything obvious is going on.

This is my plan for next time (and what I've used other times in the past):
KABF Flour (100%):
Water (60%):
IDY (.2%):   
Salt (1.5%):   
Olive Oil (1.5%):   
Sugar (1.5%):   
Total (164.7%):   
To Make: 2 15" w/ .07 TF and 3% bowl residue   
Each dough ball: 360g

This past (failed) attempt, I went with a .10 TF.  I had trouble weighing out the yeast (the scale was only kicking in at 3g) so I went way too heavy me thinks.  Any idea of about how much volume 1.2g of IDY would occupy (looks close to 2 teaspoons)?  And what are the effects of too much yeast on the dough?  (I should probably research that.  Definitely a fan of the science behind all of this).

I use the Cuisine Art, basically following these instructions: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html
I'm not sure how much I should work the dough following the cold fermentation though.  Kind of hesitant of overdoing it.  When it comes to opening the dough ball, I use the knuckle-spin (not sure what to call that) trying to keep the rim untouched, but I don't toss it or anything (no where near that level). 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:24:30 AM by Malanga »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:57:44 AM »
Malanga,

Scott has helped me tremendously when I first joined the forum last year.  I have been using this formula to make NY style and my family loves it.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27591.msg279395.html#msg279395

I used to reball after 24 hours when I first started making pizza but I don't anymore.

I have 1/2" steel in my electric oven that I preheat on convection mode at 550 for an hour sometimes longer.  IR thermometer reads between 580 and 607 at launch a and bakes in 4 minutes flat.

Hope this helps.
Mary Ann

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »
This past (failed) attempt, I went with a .10 TF.  I had trouble weighing out the yeast (the scale was only kicking in at 3g) so I went way too heavy me thinks. 

2 teaspoons for 720 grams of dough is a lot, is that what you used? How long did you let the dough ferment? By comparison, I would use 1/4 teaspoon for a 2 day cold ferment for that dough weight (I only use volume for yeast since it's so small).

Josh

Offline Malanga

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »
2 teaspoons for 720 grams of dough is a lot, is that what you used? How long did you let the dough ferment? By comparison, I would use 1/4 teaspoon for a 2 day cold ferment for that dough weight (I only use volume for yeast since it's so small).

Yeah, I used 2.  I let the dough go for 2 days in the fridge.  I'm going 3 days this time though.  Dough tonight, pizza Saturday.

Offline Malanga

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 04:23:50 PM »
Malanga,

Scott has helped me tremendously when I first joined the forum last year.  I have been using this formula to make NY style and my family loves it.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27591.msg279395.html#msg279395

I used to reball after 24 hours when I first started making pizza but I don't anymore.

I have 1/2" steel in my electric oven that I preheat on convection mode at 550 for an hour sometimes longer.  IR thermometer reads between 580 and 607 at launch a and bakes in 4 minutes flat.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mary Ann.  I've been contemplating the steel.  I live in Erie, PA and we most definitely have places to find a nice piece here.  I'm going to see what I can do with the quarry tiles first though. 

BTW what happened to Scott123?  I see it says "Guest" under his name now.  What's that all about?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:22:50 PM by Malanga »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 06:29:24 PM »
I'm not sure what exactly happened, but he is no longer posting on the forum.
Mary Ann

Offline nuevoyork

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 09:51:11 PM »
Scott was banned from the forum.

Offline jkb

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 08:25:25 AM »
I've been mixing dough in the Cuisinart for the past 15 years.  Your method sounds about right except I like to pulse to hydrate the flour before I add the oil.  I had been doing 0.07 TF for years.  I recently bumped it up to 0.077 and I think I've found my sweet spot.

I agree with JD.  1/4t of idy is about right for a 2-3 day cold ferment.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:27:37 AM by jkb »