Author Topic: Hydration revelation  (Read 7448 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Hydration revelation
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2015, 06:46:47 PM »
Since it seemed that I was no longer welcome on the Vinnie thread, I stopped following it and decided to go back to doing what I was doing before the Vinnie thread existed (after making a few deep dish pizzas).

I just made my first New York style pizza in a month or so. I made the dough yesterday. Some changes included 61% hydration, longer mix time, a couple more ounces of dough per dough ball, more cheese, and maybe another thing or two.

Since I had been at the Y for over a few hours before baking this pizza, I could barely stay upright and I couldn't think very straight when it was time to make the pizza. Thankfully my dough didn't blow while I was gone.

Once the oven was ready, I began preparing to make the pizza. Since I used 22 ounces of dough, instead of 20, I was kind of worried that the pizza might end up a little too thick. That didn't happen, because my pizza actually stayed the size it was supposed to be this time. Yes, finally I made a fully 18" pizza in my oven.

Anyway, despite the fact that I was really beat (and am still really beat), this one turned out really good. I took three or four pictures, which I may share later. I think I learned a lot, too. Or maybe I re-learned things I had unlearned. Overall, I feel like this is the best New York style pizza I've made in a long time. And the dough was only 24 hours old. I have one dough ball left, for tomorrow.
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2015, 11:16:46 AM »
100% Full Strength Flour
61% Water
0.3% ADY
1.75% Salt
1.5% Oil

24-hour dough (but intended to be 48-hour dough).
Baked at 550 for 7 minutes.
350 g of cheese. (Sorry Josh, 250 g just ain't enough for me. Nor is 350 g, probably.)

I have real issues with making NY style pizzas as thick as they should be. I'm not sure why, but my brain always seems to tell me it should be thinner, even when I know it's too thin. Even with the added dough this time, since the rim was a little thick on this one, the rest still ended up pretty thin, but probably not as thin as they were coming out when I used 20 oz of dough (and the pizzas were coming out more like 17"). I think maybe the reason my pizzas were shrinking so much is because I just wasn't using enough dough for 18" pizzas, and the dough knew it. Or something like that.

Regardless of all that, I definitely like the 22 oz results more than the 20 oz results. People on here, including me, tend to get maybe a little too focused on making NY style as thin as possible. I've had a lot of pizza in New York, and none of it was anywhere near as thin as I had been making my NY style pizzas, or even as thin as the one in the pictures below.

I think my hydration revelation has been both confirmed and whatever word means the opposite of confirmed. I do like a slightly stiffer dough than most members for NY style (because I want mine to be like pizza you get in New York), but I think a big part of why my hydration was so low when I started this thread was because the flour I was using at the time can't hold as much water as the flour I use now. I may still try increasing the hydration even more, but I'm inclined to think most NY style pizza (in New York) does not have a higher hydration than what I've been doing.

I think it's easy to tell from these pictures that my dough was less than two days old. There's just something magic about two-day-old dough to me, and this pizza didn't have that magical quality. Still a very good pizza, though.

This one also gave me some ideas regarding the Vincent dough. However, I'm going to keep it to myself because a lot of people on here take offense to being told they might not be right when they're probably not right, even though the entire premise of their thread is based on the fact that they are already aware that they don't know a lot of what they need to know. Similarly, even if almost all of someone's contributions are based on untested hypotheses, they tell you how wrong you are about things you're most certainly not wrong about, right after you've been more critical of your own work than anyone else could ever be. And if you try to explain to people what they need to know, instead of lying to them by telling they're doing everything right (even though they're obviously not doing everything right), which doesn't help them at all, you get flamed and ostracized.

I literally don't have time to BS people or be BSed by people, because I will probably no longer be physically able to do this stuff in a year, if I'm even still alive by then. If I'm doing something that you think may be wrong, I'd like you to tell me; for both my sake and yours. But even if you do tell me, it doesn't mean I'm just going to take your word for it. In fact, I might counter what you say. And if I do, it's not to be obstinate or argumentative. Rather, it's because to get better at things, you usually have to be critical; critical of your own ideas, as well as other people's ideas. It's not the same thing as being negative or condescending, and I'm really sick of being treated like it is.
Ryan

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »
Wow. Both of these pizzas were really good. This one wasn't anywhere near aesthetically beautiful, but it tasted awesome. If you want some really good pizza, do what I did here.

This one had 400 g of cheese.
Baked at 550 for just under 8 minutes.
Sauce is 28 oz of Tomato Magic, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp oregano. Sauce is really good, but I think maybe a little garlic could make this sauce a little better.

This crust is really awesome. I've never thought this about any kind of pizza, but this crust just melts in the mouth.
Ryan

Offline quixoteQ

• Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
Those look great, Ryan.  One of the (many) reasons I searched out this site in the first place was to find a way to deal with my depressingly terrible oven, and one of the solutions given to me was to thin out my pies.  Well, it worked for the most part.  The pies cook more thoroughly in less time, the cheese bubbles and releases the oil somewhat better, and I get a much better rise on the hot steel hearth.  But I prefer a thicker NY style. 
Josh

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »
Thanks.

Aw man. Nothing worse than a bad oven. The oven that was here when I moved in (January 2014) was horrible. When I think of some of the pizzas I made in that oven, I become very unhappy that I served them to guests. I didn't necessarily know it for a while, though, because I was also getting used to the different water and everything, but it turns out that the oven was horrible. Thankfully I was able to get a new one, which I love.

The oven I have now is a General Electric gas oven. (Is that an oxymoron?) I love it, if you're in the market for a new oven and want ideas.
Ryan

Offline quixoteQ

• Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2015, 10:54:37 PM »
I'm always interested in checking out oven models.  I have a baby coming my way in a couple of months so I may have a hard time convincing my wife that new major appliances are needed, but hey, worth a shot.
Josh