Author Topic: Bulk fermentation for NY dough - what is ideal? - cross section pics  (Read 278 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
For those that use bulk fermentation, I'm curious to see how your dough looks prior to balling. I'm trying to gauge what the upper limit on fermentation activity looks like based on the size of the "gas pockets" that are visible when dividing the dough.

For this dough, I used 9.8% protein AP flour, 59% cool tap water, .5% cake yeast, 1% sugar, 1.8% salt and 2% oil. After a 30 minute autolyse, sugar & salt were added to the dough, followed by CY then oil. 

Here's a couple pics of dough that I just cut into, after a bulk fermentation of 7.5 hours in the fridge.  Activity wise:  par for course, too much, ready to bake  :o :-D?

Looking forward to hearing some feedback, as well as seeing some pics of others' bulk fermented dough.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:21:20 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Bulk fermentation for NY dough - what is ideal? - cross section pics
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »
Crickets chirping.

I take it bulk fermentation, unlike for np dough - isn't something  that's typically done.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »
For me, I don't care what style of pizza I'm making, I don't want to see much signs of fermentation in my dough when I ball it. I want substantially all the rise to happen in the balls.
Pizza is not bread.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 05:43:11 PM »
Crickets chirping.

I take it bulk fermentation, unlike for np dough - isn't something  that's typically done.

I don't bulk ferment NY style because I don't like to re-ball All Trumps after a cold ferment. You're a trail blazer though, go for it and let us know what you think.
Josh

Online woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »
If that dough is balled now, won't the process of balling squeeze much of the gases out of the dough? Then the balls would need to rise again...

It seems like this adds extra time to the process, but I'm not sure.

pizzapan