Author Topic: Tony's Master dough w/o starter "New Yorker"  (Read 4783 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Tony's Master dough w/o starter "New Yorker"
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2014, 10:42:18 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Does anyone have his sauce recipe?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2014, 09:02:52 PM »
  I just ordered some KASL Flour and diastatic malt powder from KA.  Will I get similar results as with the Power Flour? I don't know if this is a stupid question or not. Not trying to be a bother. I've made quite few NY styles and thought I would go all out. I've been using KABF for all my pies except Chicago thin and St Louis style/ Imo's. I am using a stone, and an oven temp of 550 degrees. I used VWG in the past to increase the protein, but want to see what a true high gluten flour acts like. Is there any thing I should be aware of? I'm thinking of using a hydration of 62% since my oven only goes to 550.

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2014, 09:08:15 PM »
  I just ordered some KASL Flour and diastatic malt powder from KA.  Will I get similar results as with the Power Flour? I don't know if this is a stupid question or not. Not trying to be a bother. I've made quite few NY styles and thought I would go all out. I've been using KABF for all my pies except Chicago thin and St Louis style/ Imo's. I am using a stone, and an oven temp of 550 degrees. I used VWG in the past to increase the protein, but want to see what a true high gluten flour acts like. Is there any thing I should be aware of? I'm thinking of using a hydration of 62% since my oven only goes to 550.

Just FYI I am starting to move back toward KABF from Power Flower in ratios as I've found the Power to be a little more tough and chewy than I prefer (and I like chewy).
I've used VWG in the past and found it tasted a bit funny which is why I tried the Power.  My next test will be a blend of 70% KABF and only 30% Power.  Also the Power tends to get even more tough if it isn't eaten very quickly after the bake.  Anyway -- just my experiences for what its worth.  GL!
Jeff

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2014, 09:15:33 PM »
Just FYI I am starting to move back toward KABF from Power Flower in ratios as I've found the Power to be a little more tough and chewy than I prefer (and I like chewy).
I've used VWG in the past and found it tasted a bit funny which is why I tried the Power.  My next test will be a blend of 70% KABF and only 30% Power.  Also the Power tends to get even more tough if it isn't eaten very quickly after the bake.  Anyway -- just my experiences for what its worth.  GL!

Jeff, did you vary the kneading times with the Power flour?
I'm using Mondako, and don't go more than 6 or 7 minutes on the KA for NY style.

I'm wondering if a shorter knead would result in noticeably less chewiness...I'd want to keep some chew though.

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2014, 09:27:46 PM »
Jeff, did you vary the kneading times with the Power flour?
I'm using Mondako, and don't go more than 6 or 7 minutes on the KA for NY style.

I'm wondering if a shorter knead would result in noticeably less chewiness...I'd want to keep some chew though.

You make a good point.  I usually do a 20 min autolyse and then about 5 mins in the KA and then a series of stretch and folds til i get a smooth ball.
My hydration is usually 63-65% and 2% oil.

I had great results with that with the KABF maybe i am over kneading with the POWER, but I was just going til the skin was smooth.  ::)
Jeff

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2014, 09:59:16 PM »
You make a good point.  I usually do a 20 min autolyse and then about 5 mins in the KA and then a series of stretch and folds til i get a smooth ball.
My hydration is usually 63-65% and 2% oil.

I had great results with that with the KABF maybe i am over kneading with the POWER, but I was just going til the skin was smooth.  ::)

That doesn't seem like excessive kneading, maybe that Power flour is just too Powerful.  8)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2014, 11:16:15 PM »
I found Power Flour to be chewy no matter what I did.  Blending it with GM Better for Bread flour helped, but I've moved on to another flour for now.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.