Author Topic: Just a tad of convection?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Just a tad of convection?
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:12:17 PM »
Had some NY pizza at this new place by me over the weekend and what I noticed was the nice crispy crunch on the outside edge.  Can I achieve this with a little bit of convection or do I need to bake it cooler for longer?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Just a tad of convection?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 08:35:17 PM »
Nate,

My kitchen oven has a "stone" mode in which the convection fans cycle on and off. Actually, I haven't quite figured out exactly what it is doing, since the broiler coil also seems to cycle on and off. I've talked to technicians from the manufacturer and have gotten conflicting information about how this mode works. But if definitely results in a nice, thin crisp to the edges of NY-style pizzas I bake on a steel/stone hybrid.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »
Thanks Bill.  This article really added some insight as well.  I've been baking on the 2nd rack from bottom.  Can't wait to see the new results.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/which-oven-rack-should-i-put-my-pizza-stone-on.html

Offline gfgman

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 08:04:39 AM »
That's an interesting article.  Every oven is different though.  I've tried putting the stone close to the top of my oven, and it's pointless.  I don't get a lot of top heat, so what I end up with is an undercooked bottom.  I like my stone in the second position from the bottom.  I get a nice brown bottom with lots of blistering.  It has a nice crunch, and it cracks when you fold it.  I've tried using the broiler a bit, and I usually end up with overcooked cheese.  What has been working for me lately has been running the oven at 475, baking for 7 minutes, rotating, and baking for 2 or 3 more minutes.  The bottom is fantastic.  The top might not be as done as I would like, but it's not ghost white either.  And the cheese is nice and stringy. 
Bottom line is take the equipment you have and figure out how to use it to get the pie you like.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 08:15:04 AM »
For the dynamics of my oven, my dough, and my preferences, the crust is done to perfection before the toppings. The Searzall is the perfect solution for me. Gives me complete control over the process. Here is video I made a few months ago of my NY style crust baking on a steel/stone in my kitchen oven:

Offline JD

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 08:24:24 AM »
Did you buy a re-heated slice or a new pizza? What I'm getting at is some slice joints over-cook the slice when re-heating, possibly giving you that crunch you like.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 09:22:57 AM »
Did you buy a re-heated slice or a new pizza? What I'm getting at is some slice joints over-cook the slice when re-heating, possibly giving you that crunch you like.

This one was fresh out of the oven.  I know what you mean though.

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:27:24 PM »
Anyone ever try a very short period out of the oven followed by putting it back on for a bit? That thought crossed my mind a time or two to get a bigger crunch layer.
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 12:41:26 AM »
I have a gas oven with 2 convection settings. I can use regular setting with no convection, convection bake and convection roast. The difference is the fan speed with the roast setting being the highest. I always use the roast setting when doing pizza and give it a 1/4-1/2 turn part way thru the cook. I notice a big difference from not using it...for the better. Like it a lot

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 12:57:34 AM »
Anyone ever try a very short period out of the oven followed by putting it back on for a bit? That thought crossed my mind a time or two to get a bigger crunch layer.

I have.  It works!  I also turn the broiler on to recharge the stone while the pie is resting.

Offline rparker

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 08:29:12 AM »
I have a gas oven with 2 convection settings. I can use regular setting with no convection, convection bake and convection roast. The difference is the fan speed with the roast setting being the highest. I always use the roast setting when doing pizza and give it a 1/4-1/2 turn part way thru the cook. I notice a big difference from not using it...for the better. Like it a lot

jon
If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by "for the better"? Toppings done more, or better cheese/sauce bubbling, etc?

I have.  It works!  I also turn the broiler on to recharge the stone while the pie is resting.
Veddy interesting. If allowed a guess, I would guess that under-baking a couple of minutes, broiler on during a 3 minute rest, launch and kill the broiler and bake for a bit?

I'm thinking of trying a similar notion out on the Blackstone. The heating effects are much more immediate with the big flame. A couple minutes of a decent blast would probably get back my surface temps lost when doing the original launch. I'd likely turn it back down at re-launch.

Opens up other possibilities, like some last minute toppings additions. Maybe warm veggies just enough to avoid making your pizza watery. Maybe a drizzle of your favorite oil if things are looking a little dry.

Nothing beats a little stroll through a few threads here to get and inspire some ideas.  8) 
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 10:30:04 AM »
Roy,

That is an old but simple trick that is easy to use in a home setting but has also occasionally been used in a commercial setting, as you can see from Replies 28 and 29 starting at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7951.msg68518#msg68518 and also the link in Reply 29 to Reply 137 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1053.msg10191.html#msg10191.

You might also read the rest of the CRISPY BOTTOM thread even though it does not deal with the use of the convection feature. I reread that thread again this morning and found it to be a fun and informative thread, especially the give and take between scott r and Terry Deane.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by "for the better"? Toppings done more, or better cheese/sauce bubbling, etc?

Yes, a much better, more consistent bake, everything you mentioned

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline rparker

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »
I did the on/off/on thing with a blown out, week old Master Dough formula for lunch on the Black Stone. It did better than the one try I did using two stones and alternating using the inside oven a week ago. The outer rim did get dry, though. Could be any combination of dough past it's prime, the blast of heat while the pie was resting or 590F center lower stone is way too hot for the formulation.

For those that measure stones, I started at 590F. I took the pie off and the gun said 506F. Three minutes later after turning the gas back down for 10 seconds, it was back up to 590F. My last BS unadjusted BS bake dropped about 100 degrees. I think it was 575F to 465F.

Thanks, Jon. I'll put that on my list of things to try. I've yet to do a convection bake. I'll try one on/off/on and one all at once bakes.

Peter, Thanks, yet again, for the pointers (links). Yes, an interesting exchange for sure.

- Roy

Offline pythonic

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 04:10:57 PM »
The rebake sounds like a great idea.  Gonna have to try this and try to achieve more of a crispy crust.

Nate

Offline pythonic

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 07:11:48 PM »
So my top rack bake was unsuccessful in getting a crispy top crust.  Perhaps my oil was too high (4%)?  I will try with convection next time around because that worked much better on my calzone.

Nate

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 10:19:13 PM »
So my top rack bake was unsuccessful in getting a crispy top crust.  Perhaps my oil was too high (4%)?  I will try with convection next time around because that worked much better on my calzone.

Nate
Nate, that may not have been your goal pizza texture but, that's (as usual) a fine looking melt, beautiful color, and no dought -another great pizza!
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 10:51:37 PM »
I don't know Nate, but that looks really good to me......
Bob

Offline pythonic

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 12:54:51 AM »
Thanks U2.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 07:20:03 AM »
Veddy interesting. If allowed a guess, I would guess that under-baking a couple of minutes, broiler on during a 3 minute rest, launch and kill the broiler and bake for a bit?

I'm thinking of trying a similar notion out on the Blackstone. The heating effects are much more immediate with the big flame. A couple minutes of a decent blast would probably get back my surface temps lost when doing the original launch. I'd likely turn it back down at re-launch.

You won't need to turn up the flame on the BS during the recharge. Once your pie is out, turn down the flame and it'll recharge fairly quickly on its own.  Then relaunch at low flame.

Nate, good looking slice!  :drool:

Offline pythonic

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 09:15:15 AM »
Is it possible to achieve an evenly browned undercarriage like this in a home oven?  Mine always turn out spotty.  Is steel the answer?  A blackstone?

I also noticed there was zero blistering on the bottom of this slice too.  What causes blistering vs no blistering on the bottom?  This was a dryer crust, say 60% total hydration.

Nate
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:19:50 AM by pythonic »

pizzapan