Author Topic: New Haven Style Pizza Recipe Questions  (Read 1063 times)

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Re: New Haven Style Pizza Recipe Questions
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
You're rite vmsteve, a 24 hour room temp can produce a nice crust, but I know of NO new haven style pizza makers that do NOT ferment in the fridge.........that doesn't mean they don't exists, it means that there aren't many or aren't well known.  The cold ferment is one of the biggest aspects in making NH.......BUT I ADMIT, maybe not as big a deal in home settings.

Offline scott123

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »
The cold ferment is one of the biggest aspects in making NH.......BUT I ADMIT, maybe not as big a deal in home settings.

Nick, imo, it's an even bigger deal in home settings, since home bakers generally don't have the spacial constraints of commercial pizzerias.  Without being able to point to a cramped walked in, there's no excuse for the home baker not to cold ferment.

You do, obviously, find some folks who are in a hurry and are relatively happy with emergency doughs, but I strongly believe that most of the emergency people have a basic understanding of the price they're paying in flavor with a same day ferment.

Sanzz18, if you want the best possible tasting crust, plan ahead. If you want pizza on Saturday, make the dough on Thursday.

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 06:02:28 AM »
Sorry, I forgot the style issue. :-[

Offline gfgman

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »
Maybe this is a dumb question.  I'm not standing in front of my oven right now.  I believe my oven rack only has a lip on one side.  Regardless, wouldn't it work to just turn the rack over so the lip is facing down?  I believe my oven is built such that you can face the lip down and the rack will still lay flat. 

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 11:59:33 AM »
Maybe this is a dumb question.  I'm not standing in front of my oven right now.  I believe my oven rack only has a lip on one side.  Regardless, wouldn't it work to just turn the rack over so the lip is facing down?  I believe my oven is built such that you can face the lip down and the rack will still lay flat.

mine will not go in upside down,  I remember other people that have reported the same

Offline Seven

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »

That's exactly what I do. With the "lip" in the up position in the back of the oven I was only able to get a 16 inch (roughly) plate or stone on the rack before hitting the door. With the rack turned upside down, I was able to get an 18+ inch plate.

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:34 AM »
The pizza making progress is really taking off. Everybody loves my pizza and says its getting closer and closer to how I want it to be. I will post a thread with pics this week as soon as I can. I do however have an issue I ran into.

I am bring pizza to work this week, which means I have to make more than just my usual two dough balls for two 14" pizzas. So I figured I would just double my ingredients that I obtained from the dough calculator. After the 7 minutes kitchen-aid mixing, the dough didn't finish the way it usually did. It was still rather tacky. Once I got it out of the ball and cut it to weight and formed dough balls, the tackiness went away. However, the dough balls seemed to have slight trouble holding their shape the way they usually do. Once I got them in containers and put them in the fridge, I checked on them a half hour since they just did not seem right. They seemed to flatten a lot more than usual.

What do you guys think could have went wrong? Should I have calculated it completely over instead of just doubling my original amount of ingredients?

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »
Did you use the weights, or measure by volume? If by weight, you should be fine just doubling the ingredients. By volume, well, it's hard enough to be consistent when you're making the same-size batch over and over...

Just to clarify, when the amount of dough gets *much* larger -- if you started mixing 5-10kg at a time -- you might need to reduce the yeast, because of the 'mass effect'. Compared to a small dough, a large mass of dough has more volume relative to its surface area, so it will tend to ferment more quickly (because it retains more of the heat from yeast metabolism) and cool more slowly (if you are doing a bulk retard).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:59:23 AM by vtsteve »

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 08:41:50 AM »
I measure everything by weight which is why I am so confused? The bigger the batc should i have maybe let the kitchenaid kneed it longer? I am just stumped with this one.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 10:08:41 AM »
Should I have calculated it completely over instead of just doubling my original amount of ingredients?

When I half or double recipes, I always write the adjusted quantity out to the side before I start. If I try to remember to adjust each quantity on the fly, inevitably, I'll forget to adjust one.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 11:48:13 AM »
Thanks Craig... How about mixing time? Do I still mix for 7 minutes?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 11:55:48 AM »
Thanks Craig... How about mixing time? Do I still mix for 7 minutes?

That would depend on your mixer. If the increased volume causes it to  take longer to come together and/or knead, then yes.

Mixing is not about time per-se, rather it's about achieving the  "point of pasta" see: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.msg149303.html#msg149303
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.