Author Topic: A few 12" personal pies  (Read 933 times)

Offline aSliceofHeaven

• I Love Pizza!
A few 12" personal pies
« on: February 22, 2016, 09:47:55 AM »
Made a few pies for the family tonight.  Used Saputo whole milk and Olli pepperoni. 5 min on steel then 4 minutes on stone at 500.  Really enjoy this cheese from RD.  The family couldn't wait to eat ( the reason for the missing piece).

Online tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
Re: A few 12" personal pies
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:49:06 AM »
Looks delicious! 

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:06:45 AM »
Very nice!

Is that the Saputo Gold WM? The only Saputo our local RD carries is the Stella brand.  :(  Still better than grocery store options.

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:53:26 AM »
Looks really good.
How did you like the olli pepperoni?  Some of their salami are delicious but there's something about the pep that I don't like

Offline aSliceofHeaven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
I will say that the Olli does taste different than other pepperoni but I'm trying to stay away from pepperoni with bha and bht which is just about every brand of pepperoni.  I've also tried fortunas pepperoni which is pretty good but not like typical pepperoni.

Offline aSliceofHeaven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 04:13:16 PM »
My RD only carries the Stella brand of Saputo as well. 

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 07:34:42 PM »
Slice,

Was the stone for the bottom to get browner?  Too pale on steel alone?

The pies look great..may have to get some of that cheese..how big is the block and how do you  freeze (wrap?) it?

Offline yesss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 08:09:24 PM »
That looks great!

What kind of cheese did you use? I don't know what "RD cheese" is.

Offline aSliceofHeaven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
I used Saputo whole milk from restaurant depot.

Offline aSliceofHeaven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 08:28:10 PM »
Jersey pie boy-
The pizza bible recommends put a stone/steel on top rack and a stone/steel on the bottom.  It seems to work out really well.  It produces a better crust I feel rather than letting the dough sit on one steel/dough and drawing all the heat out the the stone/steel.  I've tried the broiler method with the steel but feel that after the first pie you don't get the same result with preceding pies unless you wait some time for the steel to hear back up.  I hope this all makes sense.

Offline aSliceofHeaven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »
In regards to the cheese, it comes in a 5lb brick at restaurant depot.  Whatever I don't use I just leave in small chunks and wrap in Saran Wrap then place in a freezer bag into the freezer bag.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »
Thanks, SOH.  Next trip to RD is soon. 

I do know the steel takes some time to recover, but have had good results with top and bottom of  pie with steel  only in second from top position. I wasn't  seeing/tasting much difference when I added a stone to the bottom rack . 

On the other hand, with your bake, which is 50F lower than my setting, you're getting a great result and a great crunch I would think with 9 minute bakes. That I would definitely like!  What's your recovery time between pies and what IR are you launching? Start on top and finish (quickly?!) on bottom, or its it easier to start on bottom, bake until bottom color is what you want , then move the pie, now partly baked and more portable, to the top where you can monitor progress more easily?

A whole lotta  questions  from a Pie Boy  :-D  Thanks

Offline aSliceofHeaven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 07:22:21 AM »
When I do the two stone/steel method, I just cook one pizza after another. I always start with the pizza being cooked at the top rack then move it after about five minutes to the bottom rack.  After the first pizza is done on the second rack (about 4 minutes) I launch a new pizza onto the top rack. It has worked out pretty well.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 09:20:39 AM »
Great, thanks..I'll plan to give that a try

Offline texmex

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »
When I do the two stone/steel method, I just cook one pizza after another. I always start with the pizza being cooked at the top rack then move it after about five minutes to the bottom rack.  After the first pizza is done on the second rack (about 4 minutes) I launch a new pizza onto the top rack. It has worked out pretty well.

Why didn't I think of that?  Is your broiler in the top part of your oven?  Probably.

Mine is in the bottom drawer, so I always start the bake on the bottom stone, then move to the top if the bottom stone is starting to char the crust too much, or I move the pie down to the broiler to get browning on the toppings. 

Very nice pizzas, btw.
Reesa