Author Topic: How long out of the fridge before you bake?  (Read 470 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How long out of the fridge before you bake?
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 09:36:37 AM »
Hey Peter,
    Thanks again for the info. I'm lucky that I now have two refrigerators, one being in the garage. That one gets opened a small fraction of the one in the house, especially the fridge side since we really use it for the freezer storage. Otherwise, I can see where all the opening and closing would screw with your dough.
    Question about the statement above about dough temp. I'm assuming this is referring to the dough's temperature off the hook correct? Incidentally, my finished dough has been at the 78-80 range. I couldn't quite remember what number I was shooting for, but I thought it was around the 80 mark so that's what I've been shooting for.
Brian,

Yes, the above quoted temperature range if off the hook. However, in the case of Papa John's and Domino's, they make such gigantic amounts of dough that it takes time to go from bulk to individual dough balls, even with highly sophisticated and speedy dough handling equipment. So, at some point, they have to lower the dough temperature in preparation for delivering the dough balls to their stores in the field.

Peter

Offline veloboy

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 11:47:52 AM »
Thanks Peter. Makes sense.
Brian

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 02:40:09 PM »
Brian;
You will be able to achieve more consistent results if you leave the lid off of the container(s) for at least an hour or so. One of the things that I've found is that when the dough is not properly managed the dough exhibits a pronounced tendency to over ferment so the knee jerk reaction is to reduce the yeast level until the fermentation is under control, but by doing this you can impact the flavor of the finished crust, crispiness, and porosity. Additionally there is also a tendency for the dough to not rise in the center producing a finished pizza with a thin or possibly soft center section, sometimes the complaint is that the pizza is crispy when it first comes out of the oven but quickly becomes soft or soggy, these characteristics have all been traced back to insufficient yeast level. If you are experiencing any of these issues, this might provide some insight, but if all is good, revert back to the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Remember, there is no right or wrong way to manage a dough, there are just some ways that are more effective and create fewer problems along the way than others.
By the way, I just saw that Harbor Freight has their infrared thermometers on a special sale at less than $20.00, what a deal!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline veloboy

« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 02:49:25 PM »
Thanks Tom. All of this is great info.
Brian

pizzapan