Author Topic: Random NY pies  (Read 19396 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Random NY pies
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2013, 04:08:15 PM »
A week ago I had a  margherita pizza at a restaurant here in town (Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais - Brazil).  Most margherita pizzas here are made using a very thin layer of sauce over the dough (or none at all), followed by shredded or thin deli sliced whole milk mozzarella, then topped with fresh tomato slices. Fresh basil leaves are added post bake.  The margherita pizza that I had was no different - it had  just a little sauce, very light cheese, fresh tomato slices and fresh basil.  EVOO is usually available at the table and its up to the customer to add it or not. 

I had a couple 72 hour NY doughballs around, which were prepared using AP flour (10% protein), 64% hydration, 1.8% salt, 2% EVOO, .4% compressed yeast, and wanted to make a similar "margherita" pizza.  I decided to top my pie in similar fashion - laying down a thin layer of sauce, followed by hand shredded whole milk mozzarella. I also added a little freshly grated peccorino, not much, probably around 5% in relation to the w.milk mozz.  Next, I added some fresh tomato slices, and gave the whole pie a swirl of EVOO before launching onto the hot soapstone.  About 5 minutes later, I removed the pie, let it cool for a couple minutes, then added some fresh basil leaves. This pie was bright and tasty.  The crust had good flavor, and the 2% EVOO left a pleasantly detectable flavor (which is exactly what I wanted).  My wife especially likes fresh tomato on her pizzas, so this pie got a thumbs up.

Il miglior fabbro

Offline Mullered

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »
What do you cook your pies in Johnny?

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2013, 04:07:23 PM »
What do you cook your pies in Johnny?

Mullered, I bake all my pies and breads in an old brazilian electric oven (Layr brand, model Superluxo 2.4) with top and bottom heating elements (1200 watts per each heating element). Its been a long time since I've baked pies/bread in a gas oven, but that will change soon as I'll be using my recently acquired gas oven.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Mullered

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2013, 08:33:34 AM »
up until now Ive had to use a typical UK gas oven which goes up to about 250c max .... not had great results, even with a stone heated for over an hour.  Because of this I have recently acquired a Ferrari G3 pizza oven and the results are fantastic so far

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »
up until now Ive had to use a typical UK gas oven which goes up to about 250c max .... not had great results, even with a stone heated for over an hour.  Because of this I have recently acquired a Ferrari G3 pizza oven and the results are fantastic so far

Glad to hear you're making headway with the G3 Ferrari. They seem like a great little oven.

Just baked this pie: spicy chicken, whole milk mozz, creamy horseradish sauce made with homemade mayo and diced scallions post bake. The dough was a 12 hour room temp dough, made last night. I used AP flour, 65% water, 2% soybean oil, 2% sugar, 1.8% salt and ~ .18% compressed yeast. Yeast whisked into water, followed by salt and sugar. Flour mixed into water until a shaggy mass was formed. Dough hand kneaded for about 2 minutes before adding oil, then kneaded for another 2 minutes. The dough was then stretch and folded for 3 times at 10 minute intervals, followed by 3 slap and folds on the counter also at 10 minute intervals, after which the dough was left to rise in bulk for 9 hours. Next, dough was divided, stretched and folded and balled into shape. 3 hours later the dough was ready to use.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:09:21 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
Stretched thin, this was a very good plain cheese pie (with homemade sauce). Pie from a couple of weeks ago. 7 day old dough, 65% hydration using 12% protein flour.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »
I really like that first pic. Especially the cheese.

You've probably said this somewhere already, but are you baking on steel?

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »

I believe he is using a hot soapstone.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2014, 08:47:11 PM »

Thanks Ryan.  As Teddy stated, I'm using soapstone.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »
Here's last night's pie: 12 days old, 67% hydration.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
Same day dough (10 hr RT) made with 20% semola rimacinata di grano duro. Topped with tomato meat sauce, w.milk mozz, light sprinkling of danish danbo and diced pepperoni. This pizza didn't last long.
Il miglior fabbro

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2014, 11:29:08 PM »
Johnny, not only are your pizzas gorgeous, I think that you are perhaps the greatest proponent of what can be accomplished with all purpose flour.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2014, 11:41:45 PM »
Johnny, not only are your pizzas gorgeous, I think that you are perhaps the greatest proponent of what can be accomplished with all purpose flour.
^^^

And with some Semolina at that!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2014, 01:48:23 AM »
A case of deja vu. Here are my Random NY Pies.

I know it's a thread that you all might have read but I'll link it if you did not see this thread with my pies -

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30319.0

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2014, 11:10:15 AM »
Excellent pies Johnny.  I need to start experimenting with AP by the look of your pies.

Nate
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 12:05:31 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2014, 03:25:40 PM »
Thanks guys. Nothing wrong with AP flour.  That's what I call the flour that I have access to here in Brazil, anyway. Usually it's in the 9.8%-12% protein range. FWIW, among the national flour brands that are available, I've yet to come across one that was labelled as "bread flour" or "high gluten".
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:39:41 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
Today's early afternoon snack, or as BILLSFNM would say "not to be confused with mid or late afternoon snacks;)

Same dough as the last pic, this just had more time to ferment in the fridge.

80% AP Flour
20% Semola rimacinata di grano duro
66% tap water
2% EVOO
2% non iodized salt
.8% CY (a lot, I know, but this was for a same day dough)

Topped with more of some leftover tomato meat sauce, w.milk mozz (1/2"cubes, scattered over the sauce)gra, mandolin sliced garlic, a very light scattering of finely grated danish Danbo cheese. EVOO and parsley post bake. A
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »
A case of deja vu. Here are my Random NY Pies.

I know it's a thread that you all might have read but I'll link it if you did not see this thread with my pies -

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30319.0

Thanks for sharing the link!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2014, 03:49:53 PM »
Johnny, thanks for checking out my pies in the other discussion. Your pies are excellent too! Great job buddy!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
Tonight's pie: same dough as the last two posts with pics (Feb 23 and 24th).  Baked strong for ~ 6 min 30 sec to get a nice crispy crust.

Topped with zesty red gravy (stick blended peeled tomatoes seasoned with S&P, sugar, lots of minced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, marjoram and a splash of balsamic vinegar), whole milk mozz, homemade pork sausage, diced roasted green bell peppers, diced red onion and fresh basil post bake.
Il miglior fabbro

pizzapan