Author Topic: Random NY pies  (Read 17600 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Random NY pies
« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2014, 12:47:42 PM »
Johnny, do you use a wooden peel to get the pie onto the stone, any special technique?

It seems that a wet dough would tend to stick more, resulting in some failure to launch episodes.  :o

I use a steel peel. I use flour on the bench and on the peel, and top the pie quickly.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »
Anyone have a recipe + workflow for this? The crust looks gorgeous!

IIRC, that was a 66% hydration pie, 1.8% salt, .5% CY, and 2% EVOO.

CY into water. Flour into water, mix until a shaggy mass. Add salt followed by several stretch and folds. Add oil, followed by more stretch and folds. Divide, ball and into oiled containers. 24 hours in the fridge.
Stone on middle rack, 300 deg celsius, with both top and bottom heating elements glowing red.

Thanks, and hope this helps!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #202 on: July 21, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
I had two more semolina-hybrid doughballs from the batch prepared on July 10th (see Reply # 191) stowed away in the back of the fridge, and finally got to baking them this evening.

They've been cold fermenting for 11 days now. 

First pie was topped with chunks of homemade sausage and sliced brazilian chilles, seeds and all  (pimenta dedo de moça) - this was my pie ;D

Wife's pie - a plain cheese.

The texture lightened up considerably - it was still "semolina toothy", but much less than the pies baked on July 12th.  Nice crust!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #203 on: July 21, 2014, 11:55:56 PM »
First pie was topped with chunks of homemade sausage and sliced brazilian chilles, seeds and all  (pimenta dedo de moça) - this was my pie ;D

I hope you will share a slice of that one when I come visit!  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
I hope you will share a slice of that one when I come visit!  ;D

You bet! ;D
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »
Come to think of it, there's a few types of local chillies that would be nice on pizza.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2014, 08:50:01 PM »
Well, there goes the last doughball from the "blondy pies" batch.  This dough was prepared on Saturday - exactly the same dough I used for the pies here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33156.0

The doughball more or less tripled in size.  Opened easy, no snapback, and felt strong.  Topped with pulsed italian tomatoes, diced whole milk mozz, and fresh basil added post bake.  This pie didn't last long at all!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:51 PM »
Beer dough pie - inspired by our very own TomN.

I intended for this dough to be ready in 24 hours (fridge fermenation), but it wasn't. I suspect the fresh CY I used wasn't so fresh.  I let the dough tell me when it was ready to bake - at 3 days it was good and ready.

Oxtail chunks were braised until fall apart tender, then allowed to gently simmer in it's own gelatin rich stock. Sliced onions, diced chilli peppers (pimenta dedo de moça), passata for sauce, w.milk mozz. Some chopped parsley out of the oven.
Il miglior fabbro

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2014, 08:36:45 AM »
How did you take that first picture  ??? :D

Looks exceptionally savory. How did you like the crust with beer as compared to your usual crust?

Josh

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #209 on: August 13, 2014, 09:45:38 PM »
I had someone give me a hand for the first pic  ;D

You know, I thought it was a good crust, a slightly different flavor profile (bittery overtones) than what I'm used to. Nothing mind blowing.  My wife couldn't detect any difference in flavor, but then again I did use an easy drinking pilsen.

Given a choice between using vinegar and beer, I'd probably use vinegar as a "flavor enhancer".  That being said, nothing like a good ole, plain jane, multiday fermented dough.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2014, 07:13:07 PM »
Wednesday night can only mean one thing at the JTG household: Pizza night! Well, at least tonight I was able to make it happen  :-D

Dough prepared Monday evening - pretty much a direct dough approach. Formula below:

100% AP flour (9.8% protein)
61% mineral water
3.5% EVOO
1.5% sugar
1.75% salt
.8% fresh CY (I used a bit more this time, because I baked a few pies with this dough after 24 hours (after 2.5-3  hours out of the fridge, the dough was plenty ready). After 72 hours in the fridge, the dough was "ripe"- requiring only an hour of  "warming" on the counter prior to baking.

Whisk salt and sugar into water until dissolved.  Next, whisk in CY.  Add flour, mix until the dough is one shaggy unit.  Knead for a couple minutes, then add EVOO.  A couple more minutes of kneading, and a couple of stretch and folds.  Divide and ball, then into the fridge.

I baked the pies in my electric oven, on soapstone (middle rack) at 300 degrees celsius. I didn't time the bake.

First pie: Cheese (blend of 80% whole milk mozz and 20% Edam), with fresh basil added post bake. Pretty good cheese combination - not too salty, plenty of flavor.

Second pie:  Ham, onions, fresh tomato. Out of the oven, some crushed red chilli pepper and chopped basil.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #211 on: August 21, 2014, 08:02:02 PM »
Sweet. I really like those cheese pies and that pretty bottom.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #212 on: August 21, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
Sweet. I really like those cheese pies and that pretty bottom.

Thanks! I used more oil than usual this time and it made a noticeable difference in the way the bottoms browned (accelerated)  For these pies I turned on the top broiler element after launching the pie on the soapstone, to avoid overheating the stone surface which would result in a burned bottom.

For my no-oil nearlypolitans, I usually leave the top heating element on while the soapstone heats (approx 40 minutes), in order to get decent charring/open blistering on the bottoms.

Still tinkering, still having fun ;D
Il miglior fabbro

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2014, 08:15:52 AM »
all i have to say is........ fricken yummmmm..those pies look awesome...   ;D I need to make some NY style pizza... ;D

Chris

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2014, 07:55:45 PM »
Thanks Chris! Your NP pies are looking top notch, I'm sure the NY pies would be no different :pizza: ;D
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #215 on: August 24, 2014, 08:20:28 PM »
Earlier today I prepared a same day dough with cake yeast, as I had a craving for a pie with one of my favorite topping combos: fennel sausage and roasted green bell peppers.

I had a cooked tomato sauce ready that was made with whole italian style tomatoes (labeled as such at the vegetable stand) - skin, jelly, seeds and all :o - diced, pulsed in blender, and allowed to reduce/thicken in a pan over low heat with sauteed garlic, Mutti 2x Concentrated tomato puree, marjoram, basil, S&P and sugar.

The whole milk mozzarella was buttery, creamy and had just the right amount of salt. Hand grated, as usual.

Fennel was lightly "toasted" in a hot pan until aromatic, with some ground in a mortar & pestle, and some left whole for texture.  Sausage made with medium ground pork shoulder, which had some decent fat, but today I added an additional 15% of ground pork back fat. Probably the best sausage I've made to date.

Green bell peppers roasted over a stove top flame, skinned and sliced.

Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2014, 08:33:03 PM »

First pie: Cheese

Second pie:  Homemade fennel pork sausage and scallions

Today I tried to recreate the sauce/cheese look that Johnny's pizzas (Mount Vernon) have. Sauce spooned over grated cheese, with some freshly ground black pepper. I'll tinker with this some more on Saturday/Sunday :pizza:

Same day dough made with cake yeast and a 100% hydrated poolish.

Il miglior fabbro

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2014, 09:17:17 PM »
I like it Johnny....I likee a lot.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »
JtG! That makes me think I need to go over to the "what are you listening to" thread to say: JtG willed me to play the Black Crows, "Jealous Again!"  You're very talented!  Cheers, Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »
JtG! That makes me think I need to go over to the "what are you listening to" thread to say: JtG willed me to play the Black Crows, "Jealous Again!"  You're very talented!  Cheers, Don
You should dude...that is a good tune!   ^^^
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan