Author Topic: Random NY pies  (Read 22673 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Random NY pies
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »
 :drool:

Damn you Johnny.  Quit making me hungry!
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2013, 07:33:20 AM »
Good grief, man .... those are gorgeous.

Thanks Dustin!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2013, 07:34:05 AM »
:drool:
Damn you Johnny.  Quit making me hungry!

:-D, heat up a leftover slice - don't resist!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
You know the saying - one good pie deserves another. With the exception of a margherita or plain cheese pie, rarely, I repeat, rarely will I do back to back same flavor (topped) pies.  I did in this case. First, a brief story: my mother in law (a saint!) brought me back some goodies from her son's farm in the north of Minas Gerais state - bacon, kale, mangos, farm fresh eggs (the orange yolkers) and a local cheese called queijo minas.  She even took the time to remove the tender kale leaves from the stiff center vein, and as they do here, hand sliced the kale after rolling a few leaves up like a huge cigar. The result - finely sliced kale. Those that have had caldo verde, a potata based soup, typical of Portuguese cuisine will remember how the kale is sliced angel hair thin. I decided to use some of this excellent kale, along with bacon and garlic to top a NY pie.

The dough I had standing by was a hand mixed, 36 hour cold fermented (after a 4 hour RT poolish) 15% whole wheat, 85% AP flour dough, with 66% hydration, 2% sugar, 2% salt, 1% canola oil and .5% compressed fresh yeast.  As I mentioned previously, I wanted the flavor addition from the whole wheat flour, without the bran particles to obstruct the open crumb formation I was after, so I simply sifted the whole wheat flour and set aside the bran. 

I topped the first disk with DeCecco Passata, lightly sweetened with sugar, and seasoned with salt, marjoram, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of dried cayenne.  After I laid on some hand shredded whole milk mozzarella. I lightly drizzled EVOO and lime juice over the kale in a mixing bowl, then distributed "patches" of kale over the pie. Then came the local smoked bacon, followed by some garlic slices. EVOO over it all and onto the preheated soapstone (300 deg cel), middle rack, with both top and bottom elements on at max power. 5 minutes later, the pies were done. Good eats for sure!

First 3 photos of the first Kale, Bacon and Garlic pie
Last 2 photos of the second Kale, Bacon and Garlic pie

*EDITED: I only took photos of the 1st pie that I baked.  I was wondering why they looked so similar, lol!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:08:28 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »
48 hour cold rise, after 4 hour RT poolish, Jerry Mac inspired pie.  This time around 100% AP flour, 66% hydration.

I had a surprise visit a couple Saturday's ago, and what do you know, I just happened to have some dough around. Love it when that happens :-D

Topped with salami, thinly sliced sweet white onions, and some local chilli peppers (pimenta dedo de moça). For the sauce I used San Frediano italian peeled tomatoes (kind of flavorless), seasoned up with minced garlic, S&P, sugar and marjoram. As usual, hand shredded whole milk mozz  for the cheese.  I really liked the way the crust came out on this one - light, crisp on the outside with a little chew. 
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2013, 02:19:53 PM »
Thanks Jack!

Some pics from a couple weeks ago. I incorporated a 24 hour cold rise dough, 66% hydration, and used a blend of 15% sifted whole wheat and 85% AP Flour.

1st pie is topped with salami, fresh mushrooms, fresh oregano
2nd pie is a Pizzarium style crossover ( ??? :-D) - topped with potato, pork sausage and fresh sage
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »
Inspired by the looks of the pies in this thread (link below), yesterday afternoon I got started on a high hydration dough for a ~ 4 minute bake. Here's the post that inspired me:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28690.msg289092.html#msg289092

I used 10% protein AP flour, 73% water, 1.8% salt, 1% EVOO and .4% compressed yeast. For the sauce I used a mix of Mutti canned peeled tomatoes and fresh tomatoes. Fresh buffalo milk mozzarela. Bake time: 3:45-3:50.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline arspistorica

• Keep that which is simple abundant.
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »
Inspired by the looks of the pies in this thread (link below), yesterday afternoon I got started on a high hydration dough for a ~ 4 minute bake. Here's the post that inspired me:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28690.msg289092.html#msg289092

I used 10% protein AP flour, 73% water, 1.8% salt, 1% EVOO and .4% compressed yeast. For the sauce I used a mix of Mutti canned peeled tomatoes and fresh tomatoes. Fresh buffalo milk mozzarela. Bake time: 3:45-3:50.

Beautiful pizza, at least from my perspective!  I prefer pies of or "in" this style (Pizzeria Bianco, etc.), and I also like Mutti tomatoes.
"Senza il mio territorio sarei solo un panificatore."
                                  -Franco Pepe

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2013, 06:50:46 PM »
Beautiful pizza, at least from my perspective!  I prefer pies of or "in" this style (Pizzeria Bianco, etc.), and I also like Mutti tomatoes.

Thanks! I've never been to Pizzeria Bianco. What I know about Mr.Bianco and his Pizzeria I've read here or seen on youtube. Is his dough formula/method similar to yours?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline arspistorica

• Keep that which is simple abundant.
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2013, 08:07:42 PM »
Thanks! I've never been to Pizzeria Bianco. What I know about Mr.Bianco and his Pizzeria I've read here or seen on youtube. Is his dough formula/method similar to yours?

He uses a custom-blended flour with greater protein content (different kind of wheat than I use); slightly lower hydration (approximately 70%) and salt content; the addition of the previous day's dough; and an effload of commercial yeast (too much in my opinion), especially given the use of a yeasted preferment.  For the size pizza he makes, he does use a larger-than-average dough ball weight, as I do (closer in weight to those you made for the marinaras).  My dough is simply a personalised sourdough take on what he's doing, and certainly owes quite a lot to his influence!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:43:36 PM by arspistorica »
"Senza il mio territorio sarei solo un panificatore."
                                  -Franco Pepe

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2013, 07:26:54 AM »
He uses a custom-blended flour with greater protein content (different kind of wheat than I use); slightly lower hydration (approximately 70%) and salt content; the addition of the previous day's dough; and an effload of commercial yeast (too much in my opinion), especially given the use of a yeasted preferment.  For the size pizza he makes, he does use a larger-than-average dough ball weight, as I do (closer in weight to those you made for the marinaras).  My dough is simply a personalised sourdough take on what he's doing, and certainly owes quite a lot to his influence!

I wanted to share some examples of pizzas from Pizzeria Bianco that I just gathered from google images. They look great to me, the kind of pizza that I'd enjoy making, looking at and of course eating- and I'd like to be able to bake similar looking pies - not cloned pies, as I kind of like doing my own thing.  Looking forward to what I foresee as an ongoing project- using both SD and co-fermented doughs.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2013, 07:31:26 AM »
Here's a much better quality photo (the previous were cell phone pics) of the 74% hydration margherita I baked yesterday.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »
And here's a Marinara, also with 74% hydration. Sauce made with 80% fresh tomatoes and 20% Mutti canned tomatoes.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2013, 08:49:43 AM »
And here's the last of my 74% hydration doughballs (from the same batch in Reply# 86). This doughball has been in the fridge since the 14th. I left it on the counter for about an 2 1/2 hours, after which I opened it, sauced it, cheesed it, laid on some thin onion slices and launched it onto the preheated soapstone.  After about 2:30 I removed the pie, and laid on some strips of smoked mortadella, followed by a swirl of EVOO, and back into the oven. After about another minute, the pie looked done to me.  A little bit of parsely to finish it off. I may be a bit biased, but this was a delicious pie.

Il miglior fabbro

Offline Needssalt

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
I love your posts,.... Looks awesome.  I don't think I've seen smoked mortadella.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »
Thanks Needssalt, I appreciate it! Mortadela defumada, as its locally called, is very common in the southeastern and southern region of Brazil. Most bakeries here stock it, and will deli slice it on demand 8)

Below, some pics of co-fermented dough (SD + compressed yeast) that has been in the fridge for 34 hours (in bulk), after a 2 hour room temp bulk ferment. Final hydration a little over 75%, using AP flour with 12% protein.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »
Last night I baked my first pies using the co-fermented dough mentioned in the previous post, and I was pleased with the outcome. The crust was very flavorful, I even mopped up some EVOO with the puffy outer crusts that my wife customarily sets aside. In my hands the dough felt stronger, and there was more of a chew to the crust - which I think could be attributed to two factors, the first being the addition of the sourdough starter, and the second being the new flour I used, which has 12% protein (Santa Luzia brand) instead of the 10% protein AP flour (Vilma brand) I usually use. 

Pics (not the best - taken indoors at night under flourescent lighting): A marinara style pie with anchovies, and a cheese pie, with some fresh basil added post bake. The marinara was about 11", with a doughball weight of 240 grams.  The plain cheese was almost 13", with a doughball weight of 350 grams. For this style of pie (high hydration, fast bake between 2:00 -4:00 minutes) I'm thinking of further scaling down DBW to around 225-230 grams. I prefer, or should I say my oven prefers an 11" pie ;D  It seems to bake this size pie the best. Gotta work with the oven, not against it ;)

Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »
Three pies

1) marinara with anchovies 2) plain cheese with basil and a 3)salami, red onion and basil pie
Il miglior fabbro

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2013, 09:28:14 PM »
Three pies

1) marinara with anchovies 2) plain cheese with basil and a 3)salami, red onion and basil pie
Beautifamus!! You are a lean mean pizza making machine Mr. Johnny.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2013, 03:51:12 PM »
Beautifamus!! You are a lean mean pizza making machine Mr. Johnny.  8)

Thanks C-Bob! Cranking out pies, a passion that many of us share ;)
Il miglior fabbro