Author Topic: Random NY pies  (Read 17129 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Random NY pies
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
Several years ago, the NY style pizza was the first type of pie that I learned how to make. The interest then grew towards Nearly-politan pies, then sourdough bread, followed by foccacias, sicilian style pies, pizzarium style pies, and every now and then a wacky "one off" recipe which includes yoghurt, milk or whey. Mixing it up has kept pizza-making interesting for me, for sure.  When I say mixing it up - I'm not solely referring to the type of pie, but the varied approaches on workflow, technique and so on. Well, this weekend I'll be cranking out some NY pies (made the dough this evening), and got to looking over some pics of my NY pies, some of which you can see in this thread.  All pics focus on either the crust surface or crumb.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:24:58 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Random NY pies
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:17:14 PM »
This pie made me smile
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:21:55 PM »
Tonight's NY style pie baked on a cookie sheet:

66% hydration dough, no oil, 3 day refridgerated fermentation, 1 hour on the bench. Dough hand stretched to 13", intentionally oblong and not circle.  Heavy cookie sheet lightly oiled with EVOO, then a light sprinkle of salt, and a light sprinkle of semolina flour. I took my time assembling this pie on the prepped, cold (room temp is more precise) cookie sheet, then placed it on the bottom rack, 300 deg celsius.  After about 7 minutes, moved it to the top rack directly under the broiler for another 3 or so.

Topped with prosciutto and rocket, drizzled with EVOO. Nice bite, crispy bottom and outer crust, good chew and not dried out despite the "long" bake time.  Pizza lifted off the cookie sheet with ease.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline gnomad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 10:41:15 PM »
Love the art.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »
Johnny, great job. You got that spider web effect in the rim of the crust. I love that for some reason. I've been getting that a lot too. There is a place called Tomato Pizza Pie Joint in Hollywood where I first noticed that effect and loved it. Now I can do that at home. I don't try to do that, not sure why it happens on my pizza but I'm glad it does.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »
Love the art.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks gnomad!

Johnny, great job. You got that spider web effect in the rim of the crust. I love that for some reason. I've been getting that a lot too. There is a place called Tomato Pizza Pie Joint in Hollywood where I first noticed that effect and loved it. Now I can do that at home. I don't try to do that, not sure why it happens on my pizza but I'm glad it does.

Thanks fellow PizzaEater! You know, I've got a loose theory about the spider web effect in the rim of the crust, that involves the way the dough is handled, given there was sufficient gluten development in the dough. I've seen this effect in some of my same day doughs, as well as my multiday fermented doughs... ???
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 02:53:08 AM »
First two are from last night's bake.

Two different formulas, with different hydration rates. 

Bottom two are from last week's bake.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 08:41:03 PM »
This morning's bake.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:53:17 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 09:33:27 PM »
Wow John, they sure look tasty!   8)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 10:01:40 PM »
Wow John, they sure look tasty!   8)

Thank you Norma! It's just a matter of time before I try my hand at a signature "Norma Boardwalk" sauce swirl ;D
I used my brazilian soapstone for today's bake. Awesome stone!
Il miglior fabbro

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 07:35:46 AM »
It's just a matter of time before I try my hand at a signature "Norma Boardwalk" sauce swirl ;D
I used my brazilian soapstone for today's bake. Awesome stone!

John,

My boardwalk style pizzas really aren't that much different than NY style pizzas in my opinion.  It is the cheese I use that makes them taste different.  The sauce swirl does have a little impact on the taste of the final pizza, but not a lot.  Steve (Ev) my friend tried my cheese in his WFO on Friday on some of his NY style pizzas and he told me the taste of the cheese when baked in a WFO tasted the same as his regular mozzarella.  ??? Steve did tell me that my cheese melted well in his WFO though.  From Steve's experiment with my cheese in his WFO I don't think I will ever fully understand how heat, sauce and cheese all go together to make different pizzas.  It is too hard for me to understand it all, but it gives me food for thought on how complicated making any pizza is.  :-D

What is the difference between a Brazilian soapstone and a regular one?  I tried two soapstones for awhile in making some pizzas, but I guess my home oven didn't get hot enough in temperature.

Norma     

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 08:25:38 AM »
John,

My boardwalk style pizzas really aren't that much different than NY style pizzas in my opinion.  It is the cheese I use that makes them taste different.  The sauce swirl does have a little impact on the taste of the final pizza, but not a lot.  Steve (Ev) my friend tried my cheese in his WFO on Friday on some of his NY style pizzas and he told me the taste of the cheese when baked in a WFO tasted the same as his regular mozzarella.  ??? Steve did tell me that my cheese melted well in his WFO though.  From Steve's experiment with my cheese in his WFO I don't think I will ever fully understand how heat, sauce and cheese all go together to make different pizzas.  It is too hard for me to understand it all, but it gives me food for thought on how complicated making any pizza is.  :-D

What is the difference between a Brazilian soapstone and a regular one?  I tried two soapstones for awhile in making some pizzas, but I guess my home oven didn't get hot enough in temperature.

Norma     

Good morning Norma!

I hear you - pizza is so simple, yet so complicated...And it seems there is a direct correlation with decrease bake time and increased complexity :-\

As to the brazilian soapstone - it's the only soapstone I've ever used, so I'm unable to compare.  Here's what I use - matter of fact it looks to be the exact same model.

http://www.amazon.com/Brazilian-Soap-Stone-Pizza/dp/B00BL7JW5U/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Outside of Ouro Preto, a historical colonial city in Minas Gerais state, there is a concentration of soapstone craftsmen - that make anything from ashtrays, souvenir art, pots and pizza stones out of soapstone. That's where I picked mine up ;D
Il miglior fabbro

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »
Good morning Norma!

I hear you - pizza is so simple, yet so complicated...And it seems there is a direct correlation with decrease bake time and increased complexity :-\

As to the brazilian soapstone - it's the only soapstone I've ever used, so I'm unable to compare.  Here's what I use - matter of fact it looks to be the exact same model.

http://www.amazon.com/Brazilian-Soap-Stone-Pizza/dp/B00BL7JW5U/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Outside of Ouro Preto, a historical colonial city in Minas Gerais state, there is a concentration of soapstone craftsmen - that make anything from ashtrays, souvenir art, pots and pizza stones out of soapstone. That's where I picked mine up ;D

John,

I agree with you.  You would think pizza dough would be easy to understand, but it sure is hard to understand for me.  I also think shorter bake times are easier to understand, at least somewhat for me.

I like the looks of your soapstone.  8) I also like that you have a concentration of soapstone craftsmen that make many different things.  We have soapstone in our area, but I don't know of any soapstone craftsmen.  Many people around our area do have soapstone on their kitchen counters though.

Norma

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »
Topped 'filetti' style, a la Una Pizza Napoletana.

325 gm doughballs. 

First pie topped with fior di latte, sliced grape tomatoes,garlic, basil, swig of EVOO and fleur de sel sprinkled on the cornicione

2nd pie topped exactly the same, except with whole milk mozz.

First pie baked right around 5 minutes, 2nd pie baked at around 3 minutes and 50 seconds.

100% hydrated poolish, refridgerated for 48 hours - remaining dough ingredients added/mixed - dough refridgerated for another 48 hours. 5% semolina rimacinata used in the poolish to boost flavor - and it worked. Very happy with the results.

Good flavor, dough opened up easy, and most importantly, no oil means these pies should be eaten immediately after coming out of the oven 8) They don't make for so good leftovers. I've got a 63% hydrated dough (not factoring in the 2% oil - so effective hydration at 65%) that I just balled and put into the fridge that should make for some good leftovers. Nothing like having some cold slices on standby 8)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:33:57 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 07:26:27 AM »
Back home to find a straggler doughball. 7th day in the fridge. Spartanly topped with pulsed tomatoes (with red onion and garlic) and fresh mozz. Evoo and dried marjoram post bake. I
 like how the cheese came out. 4 minute bake on soapstone.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:30:41 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 09:33:17 AM »
Just cheese (80% whole milk mozz and 20% fontina), and fresh oregano post bake.
Il miglior fabbro

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
Looks real sharp Johnny.

Can you remind me what oven & temperature you use?
Josh

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 10:07:35 AM »
Thanks JD. I use an electric oven that has bottom and top heating elements (2400 watts). Oven temp set at max of 300 deg celsius, though I suspect it runs hotter. This pie baked in around 5 min on soapstone.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 09:30:53 PM »
Tonight's spicy pie: pepperoni, black olives, red onion and pimenta dedo de moça, diced and with a roasted "chilli flower" in the middle, unfiltered evoo post bake- a very tasty pie.
Il miglior fabbro

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »
Tonight's spicy pie: pepperoni, black olives, red onion and pimenta dedo de moça, diced and with a roasted "chilli flower" in the middle, unfiltered evoo post bake- a very tasty pie.

Wow, that looks good.  I believe "pimenta dedo de moça" would translate to "girl's finger pepper", or something like that.  Did you grow those by any chance?