Author Topic: Random NY pies  (Read 19542 times)

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
Re: Random NY pies
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 11:25:20 PM »
Just had dinner, now hungry again - great looking pies
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »
Tonight's spicy pie: pepperoni, black olives, red onion and pimenta dedo de moça, diced and with a roasted "chilli flower" in the middle, unfiltered evoo post bake- a very tasty pie.

My kind of pie.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 05:36:22 PM »
Wow, that looks good.  I believe "pimenta dedo de moça" would translate to "girl's finger pepper", or something like that.  Did you grow those by any chance?
[/quote

Thanks! About the translation -  it'd come out to "young lady's finger chilli". I didn't grow these- picked them up at the supermarket.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 05:37:24 PM »
Just had dinner, now hungry again - great looking pies

Thanks pz!

My kind of pie.

I like me a spicy pie!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »
Reuben pie- corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and red onion over a 1000 Island style sauce I made with Tabasco mayo. Bold flavors, surprisingly good!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »
One of my favorites!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 02:08:45 AM »
Sounds like I have a new pie to try - looks delicious  ;)
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »
Thank you brethren of the pizza! First time making it, but not the last. Viva la Reuben pie!   ;D
Il miglior fabbro

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
Regarding your photography. .. talk to me.  You obviously didn't just fall off the turnip truck. :D. Let's here a bit about your equipment,  lighting,  etc. 

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 07:56:44 AM »
Regarding your photography. .. talk to me.  You obviously didn't just fall off the turnip truck. :D. Let's here a bit about your equipment,  lighting,  etc.

Bbq chuck, thanks, but there's really no equipment to speak of. 8mp Canon Powershot (oldie but goodie). Natural lighting always yields the best results, along with proper shot composition and no shakes. Pics snapped at night are under ceiling mounted flourescent lights, and almost always benefit from color correction.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 08:14:42 AM »
85% bread flour(12% protein), 15% remilled semolina flour, 67% water, 2% sugar, 1.8% salt, 1% oil, .5% fresh compressed yeast. I used a 100% hydrated poolish that was left to ferment for 4 hrs, after which the remaining dry ingredients were added. Once balled, left to rise for 2 hrs at room temp. No punchdowns. Inspired by JerryMac's formula, but with alterations. A plain cheese pie using whole milk mozz( Do Serro brand- brazilian), with fresh basil post bake.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:16:24 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 08:21:50 AM »
Same pie, but with thin tomato slices. Good stuff!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Thank you brethren of the pizza! First time making it, but not the last. Viva la Reuben pie!   ;D

I can't wait to make this.  Reuben is one of my favorite things.  Reuben on a pizza is a two-fer!!!
Mary Ann

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 08:53:29 AM »
Johnny,

We have quite a few JerryMac fans. Can you attach some numbers to the percents if you have them, along with the sizes of the pizzas you made (and correponding dough ball weights)?

Thanks.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:55:34 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »
I can't wait to make this.  Reuben is one of my favorite things.  Reuben on a pizza is a two-fer!!!

Agreed. I have some dough on the way for the weekend, so am going to try to make something similar. Proper US corned beef is going to be almost impossible to find here though. I might be able to score pastrami if I am lucky.

I might have to develop a "Cuban Reuben" hybrid instead.....

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2013, 04:28:26 PM »
Johnny,

We have quite a few JerryMac fans. Can you attach some numbers to the percents if you have them, along with the sizes of the pizzas you made (and correponding dough ball weights)?

Peter,

Indeed there are quite a few JerryMac fans - myself included. As requested, the #´s:

850 grams of 12% protein flour
150 grams of semola rimacinata di grano duro
670 grams of cool tap water
20 grams of sugar
18 grams of non iodized salt (fine)
10 grams of soybean oil
5 grams of fresh compressed yeast

My JerryMac inspired workflow:

Whisk the yeast into all of the water - sift all of the semola rimacinata into the water, along with 520 grams of the flour (totalling 670 grams of the combined flour mixture). Whisk the ingredients together well to form the poolish, loosely cover and set aside for approx 4-6 hours. Next, incorporate the remaining dry ingredientes (sugar, flour, salt), mix then knead until a shaggy mass is achieved. A couple of stretch and folds later, add the oil, then knead another 2 minutes or so. Scale and ball. Allowing for approximately 2.5-3% bowl residue, you'll be able to make five 340 gram doughballs (for 13" pies). This is my preferred size - a matter of balance and taste.

Note that yeast is added solely in the beginning when making the poolish, and the addition of remilled semolina flour and oil. I baked my pies on a 300 degrees celsius preheated soapstone, with both bottom and top heating elements on for the entire bake (roughly 6 minutes).

Il miglior fabbro

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2013, 04:53:23 PM »
Johnny,

Thank you. I added your modified version to the collection at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.msg110289.html#msg110289.

Peter

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
Reuben pie- corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and red onion over a 1000 Island style sauce I made with Tabasco mayo. Bold flavors, surprisingly good!

Johnny,

How long did this one bake?  I'm making this one next week.  Thanks for a great idea!  You are the best  ;D

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 12:57:19 AM »
Johnny,

Thank you. I added your modified version to the collection at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.msg110289.html#msg110289.

Peter,

You're welcome - and thanks for adding it to the collection. I should note that I tried your version of JerryMac's formula (measurements by weight), again, with some slight modifications, and it came out great.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2013, 01:11:39 AM »
Johnny,

How long did this one bake?  I'm making this one next week.  Thanks for a great idea!  You are the best  ;D

Mary Ann

Mary Ann,

This particular pie baked at around 5-6 minutes at 300 degrees celsius on a 3/4" soapstone.  IIRC, this particular dough could have benefitted from having 2% sugar instead of the 1% that was used for improved browning. In  your oven set-up (with the steel plate) you should be able to bake it in slightly less time.  I do remember having to drain off the excess liquid from the sauerkraut prior to topping the pie with it.  The inspiration to make the Reuben pie came about after seeing some pics on this forum. Let us know how it turns out!  :pizza:
Il miglior fabbro

pizzapan