Author Topic: What would you like your mozzarella to taste like?  (Read 688 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

What would you like your mozzarella to taste like?
« on: August 30, 2013, 11:32:27 PM »
A common complaint around here is that no one is satisfied with their mozzarella cheese. What would you like your mozzarella to taste like anyway? It's milk with some salt, so if not milky and/or salty what are you expecting? What's missing in your mozzarella. and which brand are you currently using? Let's talk mozzarella! :angel:

Offline Jackitup

Re: What would you like your mozzarella to taste like?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 01:10:57 AM »
Buttery, briny (not TOO salty) and a bit of nuttiness to it, with a nice creamy stretch to it without being TOO chewy, has to have a bit of chew though, I want to know it's there, just don't want it sliding off the piece I'm eating and give me a hot melt glue burn across the chin. I guess thats why I where a goatee :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 01:24:57 AM »
Buttery, briny (not TOO salty) and a bit of nuttiness to it, with a nice creamy stretch to it without being TOO chewy, has to have a bit of chew though, I want to know it's there, just don't want it sliding off the piece I'm eating and give me a hot melt glue burn across the chin. I guess thats why I where a goatee :-D

jon

Have you found one that measures up to those standards Jon?

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 02:13:16 AM »
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23533.0  Tried this a while back and liked it a lot, will get it again from RD Also recently bought some Belgioioso curd and made my own and it was very good but I need to get better at making it too  :-D I also like adding some Provolone to the mix

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 07:26:24 AM »
I used to be pretty unsatisfied with my mozzarella selection. It wasn't until I understood that the flavor I was looking for was a mix of mozz & provolone that my opinions changed.
Josh

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 10:25:37 AM »
I used to be pretty unsatisfied with my mozzarella selection. It wasn't until I understood that the flavor I was looking for was a mix of mozz & provolone that my opinions changed.

What brands do you like to use and how much provolone are you mixing in? 50%?

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »
I have been using a mix from Bacio that I get from a local pizza place:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23484.msg238301.html#msg238301

I know most members will put their nose up at this stuff, but it's better than any store-bought whole milk that I've tested.

Josh

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »
I'e been blending cheeses with my mozzarella for a long time now. Cheddar is a common cheese to add to mozzarella, but cheddar tends to oil off a lot, so if you don't like a greasy pie, stay away from cheddars. Same can be said for some of the Italian cheeses like fontina/fontinella, asiago and sharper provolones. I'm not a fan of sharper cheeses on my pie, the flavor can be too strong. My favorite mix at the moment is mozz with about 15% @ of mild provolone and either fontina or if I can get it, kasseri cheese. I don't really see enough of a difference between most of the well known, widely available mozzarellas to worry about which one I use. Probably my go to standard at the moment is Dragone &/or Sorrento.