Author Topic: new camera  (Read 5983 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: new camera
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 07:25:12 PM »
I am in London, UK. Oregano does self seed. It has also spread to some pots I had far apart (thank you wind).

I don't know how the variety is called. I pick up the seeds and plant it. I have also two Holm Oak trees (mediterranean oak), 6 umbrealla pines, wild strawberry, and borrage grown up from collected seeds, mostly in Naples. The wild strawberry, and Borrage self seeds and spread quite easily.

Ciao

P.S. for succesfull self seeding, plant only one variety so to avoid cross contamination.

pizzanapoletana - where are you located?  I don't think my reseeds, but it might.  I thought it was spreading by runners.

Also, what variety is your called?  I may like to get some seeds.

TM

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 11:47:06 AM »
i bought like everything... from growitalian.  3 wks and it hasn't arrived.  i had to email them to ask what's up and they are busy.  Anyway, you gents with the obvious green thumb.  I got a backyard that's mostly a concrete flat.  Soil areas are just a 2 feet wide cut along the outer edges of the perimeter, shrubs and bushes are there.

can I buy a simple shallow plastic or wood rectangular cart, maybe they come 5 inchs high and 5 feet wide by say 3 feet long, dump potting soil into it and grow herbs?  tomatoes?

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 12:02:52 PM »
can I buy a simple shallow plastic or wood rectangular cart, maybe they come 5 inchs high and 5 feet wide by say 3 feet long, dump potting soil into it and grow herbs?  tomatoes?

Sounds a little shallow for tomatoes.  You can grow them in there, but do not expect great production.  Herb on the other hand should do well in a shallow environment.   (Rosemary may require deeper soil).  I would say that most Italian herbs need good drainage, especially rosemary.  By Italian, I mean sage, oregano, thyme and Rosemary.  I give those the best drainage.  A raised cart/bed will benefit those the most.  Thouh, my Italian parsley does not seems to be bothered by poor drainage.

Keep in mind that a raised soil system will require water more frequently.

Good Luck.    By the way, what did you order?

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2006, 03:58:20 PM »
Try this - It's called the "no dig garden" and I know it works well.  http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s867068.htm

Wazza McG
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2006, 10:32:26 AM »

Can you guys with the Santos get down to a 60% hydration caputo dough easily?

I haven't played around that much Scott as I'm a believer in the "If it aint broke" method and I'm getting what I want already.When I have more time on my hands I'll play around with it though.I'm sure Bill can answer it.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2006, 12:28:47 PM »
This stuff is so off topic and forum, but oh well...

Try this - It's called the "no dig garden" and I know it works well.  http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s867068.htm

Wazza McG

I love the no dig method.  I have used it many times.  Being an Aussie, you are probably are familiar with Bill Mollison.  He diagrams the no dig garden in the Permaculture Designer's Manual.

I like to use corrugated cardboard boxes for the bottom layer (refridgerator boxes are the best).

I sounds like abc is low on ground to use this technique. 

I got a backyard that's mostly a concrete flat.  Soil areas are just a 2 feet wide cut along the outer edges of the perimeter, shrubs and bushes are there.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2006, 10:35:11 AM »
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the info on the oven. I partially modified mine this weekend.  There is a spring that when heated locks the door in place. I removed that but have not taken your step to allow the oven to not shut off when the latch is unlocked.  But for the first pizza, I made with the a preheat of 80 min on 'oven clean' mode (man was this thing hot!!!!), it turned out amazingly well except for one thing...the crust burned a bit too much on the bottom (I didn't mind but my wife wasn't diggin it).   We're tallking only about 2 min in the oven!   I had put the pizza stone directly on the floor of my gas oven. Do you have any other suggestions on how to get the heat but not burn the crust. 

The pizza I made - which I will post here soon - is called the "Green Lantern' and is famous at a pizza place here in Cincinnati called Deweys.
1. Tomato sauce base
2. Roasted Garlic
3. Mozz Cheese
4. Artichoke Hearts
5. Mushrooms
6. Pesto drizzled
7. Goat Cheese

This is by far the best gourmet pizza I've ever had.   Pics soon.
Brian

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2006, 03:32:24 PM »
I put my stone in about 5 min before I make the pie and cook on the top or middle rack.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2006, 05:46:02 PM »
I haven't played around that much Scott as I'm a believer in the "If it aint broke" method and I'm getting what I want already.When I have more time on my hands I'll play around with it though.I'm sure Bill can answer it.

I can't answer this either since I keep trying to increase hydration. I'm up to 65% and plan to go higher.

Bill/SFNM