Author Topic: Chef Boyardee Cheese Pizza Maker Kit Challenge  (Read 6903 times)

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Chef Boyardee Cheese Pizza Maker Kit Challenge
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
How about a challenge using the Chef Boyardee Cheese Pizza Maker Kit?
http://www.chefboyardee.com/pastas/pizza-kits-and-sauce

This challenge is an attempt to level the playing field. Skill and imagination will win out!

Challenge rules:
1. Must use ingredients in the box (Crust Mix, Pizza Sauce & Grated Parmesan and Romano Cheese Topping).
2. May use single or double box. Cheese pizza kit only. (Not the Pepperoni kit)
3. May add one (1) additional cheese ONLY.
3. May add one (1)  additional topping ONLY.

4. May be baked in any style or form, using any heat source.

5. Must provide picture of the open box and dough ball in your work area.
6. Must provide pictures of the pizza and crumb

7. A poll will open in 30 days.

Good luck to all!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:02:35 PM by Mmmph »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Chef Boyardee Cheese Pizza Maker Kit Challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »
Mmmph,

I always like a challenge.  Count me in.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »
lol, i'm in too

we didn't eat much in the way of boxed/canned/frozen food but Chef Boyardee is the first pizza memory I have.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »
This sounds really fun and I'd love to take part, but infortunately our daily highs are still 100+ degrees and I can't justify baking pizzas in my home oven.   :(.   Down here in hell, my pizza season is only about a few months long

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »
I cut my pizza making teeth on Chef's pizza kits, I seem to remember them being in a yellow box once upon a time. I really liked them back then, now I cringe at the thought of that sickening sauce and cheapo grated cheese mix. Think I'll pass on this challenge, I moved away from these about 50 years ago and have NO desire to return! :o

Online Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 02:18:56 PM »
Ok... now I'm intrigued. I need to get my LBE back and try this.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Bob1

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
Wow it's been over three years after I mentioned it in this post.  With the comment that someone should start a thread. 

Reply #83 with pictures.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2106.msg88063.html#msg88063

Please use this as my entry.  It fits all the rules, I even got the picture of the box in the shot.  I was surprised on a what a cold ferment, next day ball, and 650 deg could do. 

Bob

Offline Bob1

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »
Here is a repost.

I decided that it has been too long since I had a Chef Boyardee, so I had to make one.  I decided to take it up a notch and use the modern methods that we are now using.  I mixed the dough with a fork and put it in the fridge.  The next day I balled the dough and kept stretching the outside to the inside and reforming it until it felt good.  It had a 48 hour cold ferment total and went into a 650 degree oven for 4 minutes.  It was great, very light and tender.  It must be very soft flower. 

Someone should set up rules for using only authentic ingredients and start a contest.  I am sure that would be a long thread.

Thanks,

Bob1

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 08:44:37 PM »
Here's my entry...Chef Boyardee Detroit Style!

About 72% hydration.
36 Hours refrigerator rise with three turns
2 hour pan rise
Baked at 450 for 18 min
Only additional item was 14 oz grated sharp white cheddar
Used everything else in the box.
Sorry for the crappy iPhone flash pics....

Pics
1. Doughball
2. Pizza
3. Crumb
4 Upskirt

Mangia!

Offline Bob1

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 03:27:38 PM »
Looks good Mmmph.  What was the crumb like. The one I did at high temp had a lot of bounce and the crumb was like cotton candy.  Probably the lightest I ever made.

Bob

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
Looks good Mmmph.  What was the crumb like. The one I did at high temp had a lot of bounce and the crumb was like cotton candy.  Probably the lightest I ever made.

Yeah...Crumb like white bread. Not too much chew. Had a nice and crisp veneer, though.

I herebye resign my membership to the Chef Boyardee fan club.

WHO'S NEXT??

Offline kling

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 03:58:24 PM »
I've always wanted to participate in a Monthly Challenge, but I was without fail too lazy. Then they got cancelled. Then resurrected. Now a fellow Wilmingtonian has started a real bastard of a challenge so I was honour-bound to accept. I couldn't find this product at my preferred foods purveyor (Harris Teeter because I'm fancy like that) so I had to go to dreaded Walmart which was selling the kit for like 3 bucks (I don't really remember). Or an extra twenty cents for the double-pack. I got the double pack because I am a glutton as well as a math wiz. I only used 1/2 the double pack though.

Dough-wise, I followed the instructions on the box. But instead of a 'loose ball' I was left with a wet, globby mess so I threw a lot more regular flour in there because I was scared. Then I sort of made 7 dough ball kind of things and stuffed them with jalapeno jack cheese, pickled jalapenos and pineapple chunks. I put these abominations into a muffin pan and I topped them with the terrible sauce provided as well as the provided cheese. I added some jalapeno jack cheese and more pickled jalapenos.

Maybe you are about to suggest that I cheated by using two toppings (jalapeno and pineapple). Nope, the pineapples were a filling, get outta town.

I kind of liked these terrible pizza muffins. They weren't saucy enough so I ended up dipping them in the remainder of the Chef Boyardee sauce. I think my girlfriend really hated them, she got kinda pissy after she ate this crap.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:01:31 PM by kling »

Offline Bob1

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »
Yes the recipe is quite wet and you have to whip it with a fork to activate the gluten.  I did not even attempt to do anything with the early mixture.  I set it in the frig for a day and then balled it.  Even then it was tough.  I had to cup it and separate my hands to let it fall through to form a ball.  With the gluten aligned, cold temp, and another 24 hours it has much more structure.

Bob

Offline kling

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »
Can you imagine all the poor mothers across our nation following the instructions on the box? They mix this stuff together with a fork and it's supposed to be a ball that they can work with so they pick it up and they get a little crazy and try to toss it in the air like they do on TV and before you know it their whole kitchen is a shallow mass of poorly-formed gluten and her children are now ORPHANS!!!!

Chef Boy-our-kitchen-sure-is-full-of-orphans
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:28:17 PM by kling »

Offline barkonbutts

• Nothing Like Fresh Pizza
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »
Okay I am in... I remember making these all the time when I was a kid.. I think this and lasagna was what got me into cooking!  So with that said I could not pass this one up!

Went with just a traditional hand tossed cheese pizza.. why because that is what I did as a kid and wanted to remember this pie!

As for the toppings., went with cheese and on the crust I added Mad Hunky Pizza Shake as my one additional topping combined with some of the parm cheese that came with the kit.

So here are the pics.  This was fun and I can say it make me appreciate how far I/we have come in out pizza making process!!  Have a great day folks!!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:28:55 PM by barkonbutts »
Maken Pizza For Enjoyment at Home!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »
I purchased the Chef Boyardee Pizza Kit today.  Now to think what to do with it.   ::)

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 12:26:29 AM »
I purchased the Chef Boyardee Pizza Kit today.  Now to think what to do with it.   ::)

Norma

Make pizza ???

:-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 05:45:54 AM »
Make pizza ???

what Craig said!

I'm still looking for one

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 07:12:17 AM »
Make pizza ???

Yes, Craig I do plan to make pizza.  :-D

what Craig said!

I'm still looking for one

Deb,

I just am trying to think how to make a good pizza with the kit.  I see other members did make good looking pizzas from the kit. 

Good luck in finding one. 

Norma
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:14:44 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 09:31:10 AM »
I mixed the Chef Boyardee pizza dough part of the mix this morning.  I first added the hot water and mixed with the flat beater on speed one until the ingredients were off of the bottom of the mixer bowl.  The dough was then rested the dough for 10 minutes.  The dough hook was then used and the dough was mixed for 15 minutes more minutes on speed one.  I don't know what the hydration of using the crust mix were with the recommended amount of water, but I thought that sounded like a lot of water (1 1/3 cup) to add to both crust mixes so I used less hot water.

Since it sounds to me there is a double chemical leavening system in the crust mix, I am leaving the covered off of the plastic containers for awhile to try and cool the dough balls down as fast as they can.  I really don't know, but think the fairly long mix time would give the chemical leavening system long enough to activate it before it went into the fridge.  The dough balls were oiled and so were the plastic containers. 

Norma 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:16:49 PM by norma427 »

pizzapan