Author Topic: Chef Boyardee Cheese Pizza Maker Kit Challenge  (Read 7722 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Chef Boyardee Cheese Pizza Maker Kit Challenge
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
I decided to try the one smaller dough ball from the crust mix of the Chef Boyardee mix when I got home from market today.  I was somewhat surprised that the dough ball didn't ferment more than it did.  I brought a steel pan home from market for this pizza.  I pressed the cold dough ball in the steel pan around 5:00 PM and it was easy to press in the steel pan.  I put the pan in the oven with the light on to temper it.  I took the pan out of the oven when the dough ball looked tempered enough.  I then proceeded to heat up the oven.  Time tempered was until 7:30 PM.  The pizza baked for 14 minutes at about 490 degrees F. 

I tasted the tomato sauce that came with the kit and it sure did not taste very good to me and didn't look bright red like most tomato sauces.  Since you can only add two ingredients to this kit, I decided to use Greek oregano to make the sauce taste a little better and added a lot of Greek oregano.  The pizza sauce alone tasted way too salty for my palate.  The pizza was then dressed with cheese and dollops of the kit sauce.  Part of the Parmesan & Romano blend was sprinkled over the entire pie after it came out of the oven. 

The Chef Boyardee pizza did taste okay and was better than I expected.  The crumb was nice and and the edges were crispy.

I will try a NY style pizza with the other dough ball in the BS tomorrow sometime.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 08:26:29 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 08:27:31 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
These are a few of the photos of the NY style pizza I made with the Chef Boyardee Cheese kit.  The rest of the photos are at Reply 210 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.msg281228.html#msg281228 on my Blackstone thread if anyone is interested in seeing them. 

This pizza turned out better than I expected.  I think the Blackstone unit helped this pizza a lot.  The bake temperature was at 645 degrees F and it was turned up right after the crust rim rose some.  The bake time was 3 minutes.

The sauce with oregano was spread on first, then the cheese blend was sprinkled on and last the mozzarella was applied.

Norma 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »
Norma, you should send the pictures of that NY pie to ConAgra. I guarantee you that they have no earthly idea that anyone can bake a pizza like that with a Chef Boyardee kit. That pie is insane! Half the places in NYC would give their brother's left pinky finger to be able to make a pie that looks like that.
Pizza is not bread.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
Norma, you should send the pictures of that NY pie to ConAgra. I guarantee you that they have no earthly idea that anyone can bake a pizza like that with a Chef Boyardee kit. That pie is insane! Half the places in NYC would give their brother's left pinky finger to be able to make a pie that looks like that.

Craig,

I was just lucky making the NY style pizza with the Chef Boyardee kit.  First of all I thought the water amount was too much, second of all I think there is a double leavening system that luckily I must have timed right in the dough not fermenting too fast and third the BS did help a lot.  I would even like to get a pie that looks that good out of my deck oven at market.  :-D

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
I was just lucky making the NY style pizza with the Chef Boyardee kit.

Luck is the residue of hard work.
Pizza is not bread.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »
Luck is the residue of hard work.

Thanks Craig, I sure appreciate those words coming from you. 

Norma

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 10:07:05 AM »
Wow, that is a hard act to follow.  Beautiful pizza, Norma.  I bought a kit yesterday and made the dough this morning.  After looking at the cheese, I knew that it wasn't going to be enough for a topping so I added it to the dough.  I will let it rise for a couple of hours, then ball it.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »
nice Norma!

I guess we don't eat chef boyardee pizza in central CT.  I have been to 5 stores and could not find one. 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »
I got busy and left it in too long, but it came out OK.  The cheese in the crust made it dense, but tasty.  Just mozzarella and japs for my ingredients.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »
nice Norma!

I guess we don't eat chef boyardee pizza in central CT.  I have been to 5 stores and could not find one.

Thanks Deb.  Did you try Walmart or ALDI?  I recall seeing the Chef Boyardee Cheese Pizza Kits at ALDI's awhile ago.  I purchased the kit at our local supermarket.  It was the last one on the shelf though.  I don't know if that many people actually use the Chef Boyardee pizza kit, or if my local grocery store doesn't carry many at one time.

Norma

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 03:09:47 PM »
Thanks Deb.  Did you try Walmart or ALDI?  I recall seeing the Chef Boyardee Cheese Pizza Kits at ALDI's awhile ago.  I purchased the kit at our local supermarket.  It was the last one on the shelf though.  I don't know if that many people actually use the Chef Boyardee pizza kit, or if my local grocery store doesn't carry many at one time.

Norma

thanks Norma.  After I wrote that my friend reminded me that walmart has food, I never shop there.  I did not try aldi either because I don't usually shop there.  I'll go out later and try those two. 

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »
In the next month or two, it will be cool enough outside that I can use my indoor oven to make pizza.  In preparation, I purchased a Chef Boyardee kit this morning.   :chef:  I'm looking forward to this even though I'm expecting a pretty low-grade result.  I paid around $2.98 for this 2 pizza kit at Walmart this morning - that struck me as pretty expensive for what you get in the box. 

Norma, I am very interesting in your comment

it sounds to me there is a double chemical leavening system in the crust mix, I am leaving the covered off of the plastic containers for awhile to try and cool the dough balls down as fast as they can.  I really don't know, but think the fairly long mix time would give the chemical leavening system long enough to activate it before it went into the fridge. 

Is there any chance you can expand further on your thoughts about this?  I am looking at the "crust mix" ingredients now, and it says "leavening (sodium aluminum phosphate and sodium bicarbonate)".  I'm not nearly the baker that you are so these don't mean much to me, but as I understand it these two are components of baking soda.  Also, I understand that most of the rise will occur during baking, not before.  Can you explain more about the double leavening and what important things to consider with respect to proofing time and temperature?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »
In the next month or two, it will be cool enough outside that I can use my indoor oven to make pizza.  In preparation, I purchased a Chef Boyardee kit this morning.   :chef:  I'm looking forward to this even though I'm expecting a pretty low-grade result.  I paid around $2.98 for this 2 pizza kit at Walmart this morning - that struck me as pretty expensive for what you get in the box. 

Norma, I am very interesting in your comment

Is there any chance you can expand further on your thoughts about this?  I am looking at the "crust mix" ingredients now, and it says "leavening (sodium aluminum phosphate and sodium bicarbonate)".  I'm not nearly the baker that you are so these don't mean much to me, but as I understand it these two are components of baking soda.  Also, I understand that most of the rise will occur during baking, not before.  Can you explain more about the double leavening and what important things to consider with respect to proofing time and temperature?

I really don't understand chemical leavening systems in depth either, but I tried to learn more when Tom Lehmann sent me some documents to explain how they are used and what they could do.  That information got me more confused and I don't think I will ever fully understand how different chemical leavening stems work.  Tom did try to explain more to me about chemical leavening systems at Reply 264  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13686.msg141232.html#msg141232 that I got in a PM. 

I did experiment some with Clabber Girl and IDY in different doughs in the Mystery Pizza thread.  One is at Reply 258 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13686.msg140974.html#msg140974

Peter assisted me a lot in that thread and he even helped me to make a Sukie pizzas in that thread.  If you look at Peter's post at Reply 253 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13686.msg140783.html#msg140783  and you read Peter's last paragraph it explains more.  Peter explained more about chemical leavening systems at Reply 245 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13686.msg140743.html#msg140743   

There is a lot of information in that Mystery Pizza thread. 

If you want anymore information or links from there let me know. 

This is a photo of the ingredients listed for the pizza crust if anyone is interested and understands more than I do. 

To answer you question about what important things to consider with respect to proofing time and temperature I just guessed when making my dough in the kit.  I did use hot water out of the faucet, but used less than was called for, then mixed 2 times with a rest period and finally after balling tried to get the dough down in temperature as fast as I could.  I oiled the dough balls, but left the lid off to cool them down faster in the fridge.  Like I posted before I was just lucky that things worked out like they did for me because I also have a hard time understanding chemical leavening systems when combined with yeast.

Have fun with your Chef Boyardee kit.  Since this is a challenge I believe all of the pizzas on this thread are a success.

Norma
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:21:00 PM by norma427 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 04:45:25 PM »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »
Thanks Norma and Pete!  :chef:

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 06:23:05 PM »
These are a few of the photos of the NY style pizza I made with the Chef Boyardee Cheese kit.  The rest of the photos are at Reply 210 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.msg281228.html#msg281228 on my Blackstone thread if anyone is interested in seeing them. 

This pizza turned out better than I expected.  I think the Blackstone unit helped this pizza a lot.  The bake temperature was at 645 degrees F and it was turned up right after the crust rim rose some.  The bake time was 3 minutes.

The sauce with oregano was spread on first, then the cheese blend was sprinkled on and last the mozzarella was applied.

Norma

Norma,

Whatever sub-category of this challenge that your NY Style pie is entered in should be closed to further entries. You have the clear winner!!! :drool:

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »
I think that Norma could take a piece of corrugated cardboard, ketchup and some nacho cheese and make an excellent pizza out of it!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
I think that Norma could take a piece of corrugated cardboard, ketchup and some nacho cheese and make an excellent pizza out of it!

+1

pizzapan