Author Topic: Pizza Hut's New Pizzas Not Doing So Well  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizza Hut's New Pizzas Not Doing So Well
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 06:29:11 PM »
 None of the pizzas in their commercials looked very good to me. After the last pie I picked up there, I have not been back, and may never go back again. If they would go back to making pies like they did in the 60's and early 70's, I'd would get one once a week, and not make so many pies at home. I know that would never happen. Too costly to make the dough in store, and having to keep training new employees would be costly also. One can dream though. If it were not for the substandard pies, I would not have found this place. So Pizza Hut... thanks to you, I found this place, make better pies than you, and have made some great friends here. :D

Offline Qapla

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:41:46 PM »
... If they would go back to making pies like they did in the 60's and early 70's, I'd would get one once a week, and not make so many pies at home. ...
It's funny. They hire "experts" to come in and "develop a direction" that they should go. I am sure the guy who came up with all those new flavors and pizzas was just as optimistic as this guy is ...... and yet, they are not recovering.

It is sad that these highly educated "experts" can't just listen to plain people like you and me. The answer is right there ..... make the food good like it used to be and people will start coming back. Keep "re-inventing" your food and you will continue to lose customers.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:52:29 AM »
As part of its efforts to regain its footing in the pizza biz, here is Pizza Hut's latest offering, for "pizza night":

http://www.restaurantnews.com/pizza-hut-introduces-big-flavor-dippers-pizza/

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 09:44:24 AM »
It looks like Pizza Hut's venture into new pizzas is not doing so well;

It's karma for ripping off Cane Rosso's logo.   :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline juniorballoon

• Sirfoodalot
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »
As part of its efforts to regain its footing in the pizza biz, here is Pizza Hut's latest offering, for "pizza night":

http://www.restaurantnews.com/pizza-hut-introduces-big-flavor-dippers-pizza/

Peter

That pizza or thing looks so awful I wouldn't have been surprised if this was an Onion article. They should take a lesson from Chipotle.

Seems that places that are making food from the cheapest possible ingredients and method are under pressure these days? Mcdonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box? I'm sure there are others.

jb

Offline Gags

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »

Seems that places that are making food from the cheapest possible ingredients and method are under pressure these days? Mcdonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box? I'm sure there are others.

jb

That's a tough one.  I agree with McD's and Burger King.  Is Jack struggling?  Also, in the article on Pizza Hut (see below), it says the 2 other big brands under YUM are increasing sales.  Just Pizza Hut is struggling.  Also Little Caesars seems to be doing well, but they're not public, so hard to back it up. 

But I get your point - it seems like the stalwarts of these categories are coming under fire from new players who've changed the game a bit:  premium burgers, the create-your-own model in pizza and mexican...will they have the staying power or are they just fads?

KFC Division system sales increased 8%, driven by 2% unit growth and 5% same-store sales growth. Operating profit increased 11% to $169 million. The division opened 72 new international restaurants in 36 countries during the quarter, with nearly 80% in emerging markets.

“Simply put, KFC is a franchise-led global powerhouse with a significant lead in many emerging markets and tremendous growth ahead,” Mr. Creed said. “With its always original positioning, I believe KFC is poised to deliver consistently strong results going forward. One of the significant competitive advantages KFC has is its partnership with strong international franchisees.”

Taco Bell Division system sales advanced 9%, led by 3% unit growth and 6% same-store sales growth. Operating profit surged 37% to $26.6 million.
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 03:39:46 PM »
If they can't sell decent pies, maybe they can get you with some high tech. I would buy a pizza to get the box though. Movie and a pie, good combo if the pie is tasty.   http://www.psfk.com/2015/05/pizza-hut-projector-blockbuster-hong-kong.html

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
If they can't sell decent pies, maybe they can get you with some high tech. I would buy a pizza to get the box though. Movie and a pie, good combo if the pie is tasty.   http://www.psfk.com/2015/05/pizza-hut-projector-blockbuster-hong-kong.html

I'm guessing it will be more popular in markets where people don't have TVs...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 05:09:51 PM »
It would be fun to use while camping. You can get dedicated phone projectors starting around $15, which is close to cost of a PH pie. That might be a better deal, no crappy pizza to eat or throw away, and you get a better quality device. Plus, the projector won't be greasy and smell of bad food. Might be fun at parties, show music vids and let the dancing begin.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 03:28:56 PM »
Pizza Hut's next answer to still-slumping sales... hot dog crust pizza.

"Greg Creed, Yum’s chief executive officer, has said he isn’t happy with how the chain has performed since it debuted a new menu last year. In the most recent quarter, Pizza Hut’s same-store sales were little changed from a year earlier. Creed said the chain hadn’t been effective with its marketing and that it may have lost sight of “mainstream pizza customers” in favor of chasing millennials." http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-10/pizza-hut-debuts-hot-dog-pizza-in-push-to-reignite-sales-growth

Perhaps they need a new CEO rather than a new gimmick?

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 09:19:05 AM »
That takes the cake..er pizza? PH has lost their way, at least Domino's took pizza out of their logo, and they make better pies than PH. What does that say? Maybe if PH went back to their roots and made pies like they did in the 60's, their business would improve. I'd buy a pie at least once a week.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 07:47:06 PM »
Here's a much better take on Pizza Huts Hot Dog Pie, and the owner of Zoli's is a member here on the forum!

https://gma.yahoo.com/dallas-pizzeria-creates-epic-response-pizza-huts-hot-201245015--abc-news-Recipes.html?soc_src=copy

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »
I wonder if Pizza Hut is having problems because they discounted their products so much during the last recession.  I'm not sure about this but it is possible their customers won't let them raise their prices to a profitable margin and so they feel they need some new "stuff" to stimulate sales.  Tough, tough business to be in.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 12:49:57 AM »
Went by my local Pizza Hut this morning....they've had the same sign sitting out front for awhile:  any two medium pizzas, any toppings $6.99  each.  I went to their website, this is going on system wide.  How do you make it charging so little, minimum wage here alone is $9.47.

John

Offline jkb

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 08:05:45 AM »
Went by my local Pizza Hut this morning....they've had the same sign sitting out front for awhile:  any two medium pizzas, any toppings $6.99  each.  I went to their website, this is going on system wide.  How do you make it charging so little, minimum wage here alone is $9.47.

John

Around here, a 2-topping 18" goes for $14.  PH medium is 12".  So their "deal" is more expensive than most place's normal price.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:20:37 AM by jkb »

Offline jkb

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »
Here's a much better take on Pizza Huts Hot Dog Pie, and the owner of Zoli's is a member here on the forum!

https://gma.yahoo.com/dallas-pizzeria-creates-epic-response-pizza-huts-hot-201245015--abc-news-Recipes.html?soc_src=copy

Norma

My son records "World of X-Games" and the hotdog pizza commercial shows up over and over.  He comments that he wants that pizza every time.

Looks like    I'll be creating my own epic response soon.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:43:00 AM by jkb »

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 08:39:39 AM »
Some things are just not meant to be. But if you are going to do it anyway, the side ought to be a defibrillator.

pizzapan