Author Topic: Nice article on Neapolitan pies made at home  (Read 623 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Nice article on Neapolitan pies made at home
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »
"As president of the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana in Australia and New Zealand, an association dedicated to promoting and protecting the true Neapolitan pizza around the world, Johnny judges and accredits pizzerias that meet the strict criteria for authenticity. But while a wood-fired stone oven burning at 400 degrees is the only true way to cook a Neapolitan style pizza,"

:-\   ???   :-\
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 05:36:10 PM »
"As president of the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana in Australia and New Zealand, an association dedicated to promoting and protecting the true Neapolitan pizza around the world, Johnny judges and accredits pizzerias that meet the strict criteria for authenticity. But while a wood-fired stone oven burning at 400 degrees is the only true way to cook a Neapolitan style pizza,"

:-\   ???   :-\

As the story is an Australian post and his dough formula is metric I would guess his 400 degrees is Centigrade which converts to 752 Fahrenheit.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 05:37:20 PM »
As the story is an Australian post and his dough formula is metric I would guess his 400 degrees is Centigrade which converts to 752 Fahrenheit.

Yes, and that is too low to be considered VPN Neapolitan.
http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/disciplinare%202008%20UK.pdf

Section 2.4:
Cooking surface temperature: 430 C about (905oF)
Oven dome temperature: 485 C about (800oF)
Cooking time:60-90 seconds

Note, there is a translation issue that is persistent wherever you read about it.  The Fahrenheit floor and dome temperatures are the reverse of how it reads - the 905 and 800 are reversed by accident.  But it is 430 floor and 485 dome.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:44:48 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

We hate math, says 4 in 10 a majority of Americans

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 05:49:44 PM »
The purpose of my post was to clarify the temperature for those not used to reading recipes from foreign countries.  Nothing more.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 05:55:32 PM »
Yes, and that is too low to be considered VPN Neapolitan.
http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/disciplinare%202008%20UK.pdf

Section 2.4:
Cooking surface temperature: 430 C about (905oF)
Oven dome temperature: 485 C about (800oF)
Cooking time:60-90 seconds

Note, there is a translation issue that is persistent wherever you read about it.  The Fahrenheit floor and dome temperatures are the reverse of how it reads - the 905 and 800 are reversed by accident.  But it is 430 floor and 485 dome.

Well, let me add to the confusion  ;D

I think the guy went with 400C because of the name of his pizzerias "400 Gradi" rather then 430/485, or even better, "426.667 Gradi", which would sound ridiculous.

"Hey, let's go grab a pizza at 426.667 Gradi! You up for it??"  :-D

However, Forno Bravo's website states the temps at "roughly 800F":

What are the basic VPN Guidelines?

They really are pretty simple.

1. A Wood-Burning Oven: Pizza Napoletana must be cooked in a wood-fired dome oven operating at roughly 800F.

2. Proper Ingredients: Tipo 00 flour, San Marzano tomatoes, all natural Fior di Latte or Bufala mozzarella, fresh basil, salt, and yeast only fresh, all-natural, non-processed ingredients.

3. Proper Technique: Your pizza dough must be kneaded either by hand or with a low speed mixer. No mechanical dough shaping is allowed, such as a dough press or rolling pin, and proper pizza preparation. Pizza baking time should not exceed 90 seconds.

But since I'm not a WFO guy, what do I know. It's just interesting that there are many deviations in what the temps should be.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 06:09:50 PM »
The purpose of my post was to clarify the temperature for those not used to reading recipes from foreign countries.  Nothing more.
Got it, thanks!

I think the guy went with 400C because of the name of his pizzerias "400 Gradi" rather then 430/485, or even better, "426.667 Gradi", which would sound ridiculous.

You mean he put his commercial enterprise above the sacred VPN regulations?  Tsk, he could be stripped of his presidency!

Odd juxtaposition since the VPN seems so precise and inflexible about the definition of Neapolitan pizza and this guy, as the leader, saying 400.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:21:25 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

We hate math, says 4 in 10 a majority of Americans

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 06:12:43 PM »
About the only thing this article tells us about NP is that money comes first at the AVPN, but we knew that already...

I wonder why Johnny didn't include a picture of his 5-minute "traditional Neapolitan pizza???"  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage