Author Topic: Blackstone and Superpeel  (Read 4307 times)

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
Blackstone and Superpeel
« on: September 02, 2013, 02:16:12 PM »
Ok, I've been using the 2stone Pizza Grill for a number of years but after reading the info on the Blackstone, coupled with the fact that Willard is not making the pizza grill insert any longer, I just ordered a Blackstone from Amazon.

Can I ask a dumb question? (answer by my family - "better than anyone else we know). Can one use the superpeel with the Blackstone or does the rotating stone preclude that? Could one temporarily stop the stone while placing the pizza?

Oops. That's two questions? Sorry  :D

Tony

Offline italdream

Re: Blackstone and Superpeel
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 05:35:50 PM »
Hi, I have a superpeel. You can stop the rotating plate easily but I am not sure you will have enough space to comfortably operate the superpeel. Temperatures are very high, there is a flame on the left and the interior of the oven is not that big. I would recommend some other method for launching.

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »
Mille Grazie!

I'll stick with my flour rubbed wooden peel then. Unless someone else out there has tried it and can suggest a methodology.

Too bad because it looks like a great way to do it. I never tried one because it was too large for my 2Stone Pizza Grill.

Ciao

Tony

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »
Tony, I also have the 2 stone grill, do you know why Willard discontinued it?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »
Tony, I also have the 2 stone grill, do you know why Willard discontinued it?

Mark

Mark, when I saw the (now discontinued) new model with the hinged top I emailed Willard with some questions. As usual he replied quickly and said that he stopped making that model because there were too many "copy cat products" particularly at the lower end.

Sad because I was going to upgrade to the newer style, and my son-in-law, who wants to build an outdoor kitchen, thought using it for a built in pizza oven would be a great idea.

Well, at least now -- if the Blackstone ever comes -- I'll be able to cook a slightly larger pizza and cook two pizze at the same time using both devices.

Ciao!

Tony

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:36:37 PM »
Ah, makes sense, I guess. He probably makes more on the higher end units.

If I regularly cooked more than one pie at a time, I might consider the Blackstone.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 08:37:51 PM »
Tony,  I use a super peel.  I wired a switch to the front to cut off the rotating turntable, and it works well, with a little modification.  The great thing about a superpeel, IMHO, is that it needs no flour at all. . I don't have the skills to launch a pizza without a super peel.

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:27:02 PM »
Ah, makes sense, I guess. He probably makes more on the higher end units.

If I regularly cooked more than one pie at a time, I might consider the Blackstone.

Mark

I hope you do a number in sequence  ;D One is just not enough!!

My wife and I just finished some home made pizze on the 2stone. I made enough dough for two 10 inch pizze and figured we'd only eat one. We ended up doing two since my wife wanted to video me tossing the 2nd one (for blackmail purposes I am sure). We ended up eating most of the 2nd also -- just sat, drank wine, talked about Syria, and grazed  :)

I tried cooking the crusts first for a minute before topping them as someone had mentioned on the forum. It did seem to help them slip off the peel better. I used a wooden peel to place the crust but a metal one to place the topped pizza. I tend to hit the top of the pizza on the 2stone if I use the thicker wooden peel.

I'm looking forward to trying the Blackstone and comparing it. I keep thinking Amazon will end up telling me that they can't get one.

Ciao!

Tony

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
Tony,  I use a super peel.  I wired a switch to the front to cut off the rotating turntable, and it works well, with a little modification.  The great thing about a superpeel, IMHO, is that it needs no flour at all. . I don't have the skills to launch a pizza without a super peel.

LOL! If I can figure out how to do it, ANYONE can  :D

I like the switch idea. I had been thinking that, if people said it was ok to stop the turntable for a bit, that I would just unplug it. I've done a bit of electronics stuff as a hobby so the switch idea is really interesting. Would it be possible to post a picture of your setup?

Thanks for the info!

Ciao!

Tony

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 12:43:55 AM »
Easy on off switch from radio shack.

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 12:51:26 AM »
Carefully, make a slit in the wire length wise. Only pull out the red wire and leave the integrity of the rest of wire intact. Strip the ends of the red wire and attach the clips as shown.

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 01:17:28 AM »
I used the super peel but found that if it touched the hot bottom stone the cheese cloth would stick and would not slide. Big problem.

Cracker crust and NY style is what I've been doing so I ended up turning down the temp a good bit. I had to turn down the gas on the red regulator valve to get the stove to run in the 500 degree zone. I make the pizza on a 16" aluminum pan with holes in it (from Bed,Bath and Beyond) and place the pan directly on the bottom stone. After a few minutes the crust slides freely on the pan. Flip the rotating stone switch off and then slide the pizza off the pan right on the stone and switch the stone back on to rotate. Center it on the stone with tongs. When the pie is finished just pull it out with the tongs. Works great. No muss no fuss.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:27:41 AM by Papageorgio »

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 11:30:34 AM »
Carefully, make a slit in the wire length wise. Only pull out the red wire and leave the integrity of the rest of wire intact. Strip the ends of the red wire and attach the clips as shown.

Thanks for the pictures and info. I appreciate it. I had been thinking of switch box with female and male plugs so I didn't have to cut the unit's wire. Your method seems more elegant.

Tony

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »
I used the super peel but found that if it touched the hot bottom stone the cheese cloth would stick and would not slide. Big problem.

Cracker crust and NY style is what I've been doing so I ended up turning down the temp a good bit. I had to turn down the gas on the red regulator valve to get the stove to run in the 500 degree zone. I make the pizza on a 16" aluminum pan with holes in it (from Bed,Bath and Beyond) and place the pan directly on the bottom stone. After a few minutes the crust slides freely on the pan. Flip the rotating stone switch off and then slide the pizza off the pan right on the stone and switch the stone back on to rotate. Center it on the stone with tongs. When the pie is finished just pull it out with the tongs. Works great. No muss no fuss.

Thanks again for this info. I do NY style also but have never even thought of cracker crust. I've always used either flour, corn meal, or a mixture of the two. What's the bottom of the pizza like? (I know, kind of hard to explain). How "finely" do you crush the crackers? And, of course, what kind of crackers?

Ciao!

Tony

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 12:48:37 PM »
Thanks again for this info. I do NY style also but have never even thought of cracker crust. I've always used either flour, corn meal, or a mixture of the two. What's the bottom of the pizza like? (I know, kind of hard to explain). How "finely" do you crush the crackers? And, of course, what kind of crackers?

Ciao!

Tony

Take a look in the link for lots of info. No "crackers" mixed in. The dough is rolled out thin and with the right temperature it has a cracker like texture.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,28.0.html

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »
Take a look in the link for lots of info. No "crackers" mixed in. The dough is rolled out thin and with the right temperature it has a cracker like texture.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,28.0.html

Oops! I misinterpreted the first words.  :-[

Tony

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 11:13:38 PM »
Mille Grazie!

I'll stick with my flour rubbed wooden peel then. Unless someone else out there has tried it and can suggest a methodology.

Too bad because it looks like a great way to do it. I never tried one because it was too large for my 2Stone Pizza Grill.

Ciao

Tony

Tony,

If you'd like a recommendation that will knock your socks off I'd suggest making a peel blend.  Mix equal parts flour, rice flour, and semolina.

Individually they all work fine, but together the three work incredible.  The pizza practically shoots off my peel like a toboggan.

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 08:45:52 AM »
Tony,

If you'd like a recommendation that will knock your socks off I'd suggest making a peel blend.  Mix equal parts flour, rice flour, and semolina.

Individually they all work fine, but together the three work incredible.  The pizza practically shoots off my peel like a toboggan.

Thanks. I'll have to give that try. My wife did find some semolina at our local grocery. I'll ask her to check for rice flour. One of the disadvantages in living in small city in West Texas is finding ingredients. Particularly for "Eyetalian" cooking  ::)

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 12:36:27 AM »
I didn't like when you slide the pizza off the peel the corn meal or 'flour dust' burns and leaves a black, burned residue that has to be cleaned off before the next pie goes in.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 07:24:51 AM »
That is exactly why I like the Super peel.  That and having had some bad launches in a home oven in the past.