Author Topic: removing Pizza dough the night before!  (Read 188 times)

Online Danny G

• I Love Pizza!
removing Pizza dough the night before!
« on: Yesterday at 06:12:09 PM »
I would like to try removing the dough from CF and make the balls and place it back in the fridge. The dough is siting in the fridge already for 24 hrs and I want to try this, since I read around here people having good results balling the night before baking.

My question is:

Should I get the dough that is in the fridge for 24 hrs out and leave it to room temp first and then ball it?

After I ball it i pretend to take it back to the fridge for another 10 hrs or so.  remove from the fridge, room tep and bake it.

Would this be correct?

Many Thanks

Online vtsteve

• Supporting Member
Re: removing Pizza dough the night before!
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:18:14 PM »
Ball it cold, final 10 hours cold, then give it an hour or two at room temperature - dough should feel cool. not cold, while you're opening it.
I do a longer CF, less yeast, and more time at RT before opening.

Since your CF is short, I'm assuming your yeast is high. Too long at RT pre-bake and it could start to blow out on you. Which isn't necessarily a problem, but handling can get tricky.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:19:55 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.

Online Danny G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:26:44 PM »
Ball it cold, final 10 hours cold, then give it an hour or two at room temperature - dough should feel cool. not cold, while you're opening it.
I do a longer CF, less yeast, and more time at RT before opening.

Since your CF is short, I'm assuming your yeast is high. Too long at RT pre-bake and it could start to blow out on you. Which isn't necessarily a problem, but handling can get tricky.

Hi thank you for the reply.  the thing is that I want to eat Pizza tomorrow. lol

I did 1000 g flour, 1g IDY, 670 g water and 26gr of salt.

Went CF yesterday at 10pm.

I didn't understand when you say blow out and handling can get tricky, can you explain?

Too long at RT pre-bake and it could start to blow out on you. Which isn't necessarily a problem, but handling can get tricky.

I think my dough will be CF for 34 hrs then RT 6 hours.

What do you do normal? I am baking it in my home oven!

Many Thanks

Offline HBolte

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:41:23 PM »
Danny, I think your dough will be just fine tomorrow. Enjoy!
Hans

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:12:50 PM »
Hi thank you for the reply.  the thing is that I want to eat Pizza tomorrow. lol

Went CF yesterday at 10pm.

I didn't understand when you say blow out and handling can get tricky, can you explain?

Too long at RT pre-bake and it could start to blow out on you. Which isn't necessarily a problem, but handling can get tricky.

I think my dough will be CF for 34 hrs then RT 6 hours.

What do you do normal? I am baking it in my home oven!

Many Thanks

Danny,

I don't think you have to worry about the dough blowing since you used only 1gr of yeast and no additional sugar.

I'd take the dough balls out of the refer about 90 mins prior to bake and bring them up to a temp of around 65F, then shape them into skins. I found that a temp of 65F to perhaps 70F works best with my doughs.

Have fun and enjoy!
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Online vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:49:04 PM »
You're at 0.1% IDY, should be fine leaving it out for 6 hours. I mixed a batch today to ball Monday, use Tuesday, and I used 0.17% IDY (I keep the spare fridge cold).

Blows out = overferments.

When a dough goes too long for the yeast amount and temperature, it'll form big flabby bubbles on top, get *really* extensible (to the point that just picking it up wrong can overstretch it -- no spring-back), and start to release water (so extra sticky). Careful handling, or a reball, can usually salvage the dough. Oven spring and browning may be less, but flavor is often great. :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:02:21 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.

Online Danny G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:39:19 PM »
Thank you Everyone I will give it a try!

One last doubt I have from last night when I Ball it and replaced for CF.  When I created the dough I added the finished dough in one oiled container. Last night when I removed the dough so I could ball it I had extra containers for each new ball. Therefore, I am not sure I had to oil it again or flour it before replacing in the fridge. I noticed that if I took long to finish balling all the dough it would get very sticky and hard to handle.

What do you guys normally do?

Many thanks.

Offline HBolte

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:52:45 PM »
I normally place reballed dough in smaller individual containers and use a bit of spray canola oil in the container.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:16:06 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Online Danny G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: Today at 03:35:02 PM »
My Pizza was a disaster!  :'(

I don't know what happens, but when I do a dough with a high hydration I have a hard time managing the dough. I use a kitchen aid mixer.

I was following a recipe with no sugar or oil for a home oven and when I saw the results it was totally different than what I got here. I did exactly the same and used a scale for the ingredients. I noticed the dough very very sticky and hard to work with.

24 hrs CF

Ball it and 12 hrs CF again

4 hrs RT

After opening the dough it got sticky quickly and hard to work with. Very different than what I was looking for.
Baked it and Pizza didn't grow at all. I wonder if it is because I didn't use sugar or oil?

Here the terrible result.

Online vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:56:15 PM »
Did the dough ever have any visible bubbles?
Have you used yeast from that container successfully in the past? It looks completely unfermented to me.

My usual NY dough is 58% hydration. I've done miche breads at 84% hydration, and ciabatta over 90%, so wet dough doesn't scare me; I just don't find it necessary for pizza.
I also use nearly twice as much yeast, for twice as long in the fridge.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:57:54 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.

Online Danny G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:30:39 PM »
Did the dough ever have any visible bubbles?
Have you used yeast from that container successfully in the past? It looks completely unfermented to me.

My usual NY dough is 58% hydration. I've done miche breads at 84% hydration, and ciabatta over 90%, so wet dough doesn't scare me; I just don't find it necessary for pizza.
I also use nearly twice as much yeast, for twice as long in the fridge.

Thank you for this! yes, I guess I need more IDY next time. I wonder how you guys manage such high hydration. Looks like the more you work the dough the more ir won't come out from your hands. Crazy!

I can't pass 62%. I am totally scared now of working with over 62%.  >:D

Thank you for all the tips!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: Today at 08:52:23 PM »
Thank you for this! yes, I guess I need more IDY next time. I wonder how you guys manage such high hydration. Looks like the more you work the dough the more ir won't come out from your hands. Crazy!

I can't pass 62%. I am totally scared now of working with over 62%.  >:D

Thank you for all the tips!

So, don't go past 62 - it is plenty.
Mitch