Author Topic: Measuring yeast weight  (Read 53 times)

Offline Tripper

• I Love Pizza!
Measuring yeast weight
« on: Yesterday at 07:40:14 PM »
Hello,

Newby. I was making Tom L NY recipe. I picked up a Taylor food scale for about $30 bucks. Measures to 1 gram. Recipe called for 1.3 grams.

Picked up a 3-pack of Red Star IDY. Label says: 'NET WT.  7g - 1/4 oz'. Each packet contains 7 grams, right?

Wrong - at least according to my food scale. The way it weighed out, the packet contained about 2.5 grams of yeast. (The salt and sugar weighed out fine).

The dough balls are in the refrigerator now. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I tripled the yeast measurement.

Can any vet help me out? 'Weighing' in on this would be appreciated.

Tripper

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Measuring yeast weight
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:21:35 PM »
If your scale measures to 1 gram, then you cannot know (using the scale) that the yeast weight 2.5 grams.  Am I missing something.

Trust the Red Start packet weight.  It is very standard and standardized.  I assume the 3 pack looks like the picture below and each packet says 7 grams / 0.25 ounces.    Then, yes, each packet weight is 7 grams.  Anything is possible, like a big time manufacturing/packing glitch - I would guess, however, you are not measuring correctly.

You can also measure with measuring spoons.  1 teaspoon is right about 3 grams.  So, 1.3 grams/3 grams is .43 teaspoons - right in between 3/8 teaspoon and 1/2.  Should be close enough.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:24:27 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:21:22 PM »
An easy way is to pour the pack of yeast onto a sheet of white paper. Then using a butter knife or card divide the yeast into approximately seven parts. Then divide one part into three further parts.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:12:34 PM »
An easy way is to pour the pack of yeast onto a sheet of white paper. Then using a butter knife or card divide the yeast into approximately seven parts. Then divide one part into three further parts.

8)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:26:30 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:21:36 PM »
Dissolve 1 packet (7g) in 93g water. Each 1g of the resulting liquid will have 0.07g yeast. Use 19g of the liquid = 1.3g yeast (1.33g to be precise).
Pizza is not bread.