Author Topic: FLAVOR PROBLEM SOLVED!!  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Madacoustics

• I Love Pizza!
FLAVOR PROBLEM SOLVED!!
« on: September 02, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »
So simple but makes a BIG different to the flavor of your HOME OVEN Neapolitan Pizza!!

Basically I've been making good looking, tasty Neapolitan pizza's as authentic as possible in the home oven!

But that spark was missing, that magic smoky note that you get from a wood fired oven!

Finally i tried and idea out, to cook the pizza in the heat of the oven but take it out a matter of seconds before i normally would.. then stick in strait into my hot smoky kettle oven for about 1 minute!! Simple'ss :)

I set the kettle BBQ up with plenty of white hot charcoal and a pizza stone laid on top (i actually use one that's in 3 pieces and like that the heat and smoke can further come through the cracks!) ..i also leave the BBQ lid on for 5 mins before i use, there'll be smoke pouring from the edge.

Hope this helps some people, 1st time i've posted on this great forum! i promise it'll bring a smile to your face when you take the 1st bite! 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: FLAVOR PROBLEM SOLVED!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
Pics or it never happened.

Offline Madacoustics

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:04:37 PM »
If a tree falls and... lol ...yes! I will get some pics up soon!

Also wondering if anyone else had experimented with this kind of thing?? perhaps using oak or other hard woods would give a better result than the smoke flavor of charcoal..

Also just a note, i didn't cook the pizza in the kettle!! its benefits where to mainly give a better flavor to the whole pie, as well as adding a touch more char to the bass while the gentle heat in the top seems to do nice justice to the toppings.

Personally i won't go back, the little bit extra effort to really finish of the pies seems so worth it!! unless you have a WFO, then life is all good!

..Not sure why i had to make a poll thing to put up a question?! sex or pizza was all that came to mind i guess ha

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »
I'm sure your smoked pie tastes great, but Neapolitan pies cooked in a WFO at Neapolitan temps don't have a smoky note.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Madacoustics

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 04:36:16 AM »
I can except that I've been wrongly informed if this is the case, seems you'd be someone who knew ..I few people have talked about this quality which got me thinking is all and in any case I would still recommend, it does add an extra dimension and don't think it takes anything away from being Neapolitan.

I'm still surprised to think that a WFO really wouldn't impart any smokiness to the pie what so ever??

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:47:44 AM »
I'm still surprised to think that a WFO really wouldn't impart any smokiness to the pie what so ever??

When a Neapolitan oven is running at full temperature, about the only time you even see smoke is right after you put on a log, and even then, it hovers about 6" off the floor. Once the log starts fully burning, there is almost no smoke. There simply is very little smoke at those temperatures and what little there is is above the pies.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Madacoustics

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »
Ah ok, that makes sense, shame i never finished my build which is now a coal bunker :/ ..thanks for the reply!

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »
Seeing as you are in the UK....if it's a Weber kettle BBQ that you have, take a look at this:

http://www.bbqs2u.co.uk/284-weber-charcoal-pizza-oven-6520.html?gclid=CKWMybXCr7kCFTPItAod434A3Q

I have one of these and they make good pizza. I have had it up to 800F before so it gets plenty hot enough for good quick bakes....

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 11:54:12 AM »
When a Neapolitan oven is running at full temperature, about the only time you even see smoke is right after you put on a log, and even then, it hovers about 6" off the floor. Once the log starts fully burning, there is almost no smoke. There simply is very little smoke at those temperatures and what little there is is above the pies.

One of the cool things about a WFO is that, after about 20 minutes or so of pre-heating, smoke seems to become non-existent. My wife used to worry that the neighbors(here in Japan) would complain that we might be barbequing all the time because of the potential smoke, and that people would get mad because their outdoor hanging laundry would get all smokey. The truth is, barbeque grills continue to spew out smoke, and even more when oils drip on the coals. Wood fired ovens, on the other hand (once fully ignited and running hot), have very little noticeable smoke exhaust. I will echo Craig in saying that Neo pies don't have any smokey flavor, and at roughly 60 to 90 seconds(most of which is on the oven floor), it's difficult to impart any smokiness into the pie anyway.

That said, I certainly would love to try a smokey pie! I mean, why not?? Smoke has always been a sought after enhancer for flavor in all kinds of foods.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »
It is easy to confuse the taste of char with smokiness.  I know because I've done it.  When I first started baking pies in my liquid propane fired LBE, I would swear I was getting a smokiness that was absent from my home oven baked pies.  I think the difference was char on the rim. 

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »
Makes one wonder when you see these advertisements for "authentic" brick oven pizza, or Wood fired pizza... there is always a reference to that "smokey" flavor somewhere. 

The compounds in "smoke" that flavor meats etc. are long gone at 750 degrees! 

pizzapan