Author Topic: What stone for weber charcoal grill?  (Read 776 times)

Offline VengefulHemi

What stone for weber charcoal grill?
« on: September 02, 2013, 08:40:34 PM »
Hello Everyone:
    This is my first post and I appreciate everyone's patience. I have a question on what is ok for a stone on my weber one touch gold(22.5). This will be my first attempt(tomarrow) at making one on the grill. I already made a basic quick sauce(http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/basic-pizza-sauce-recipe/index.html), and I purchased a stone from wallyworld(http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Pizza-Stone-with-Rack-and-Cutter/20531388), but I also buzzed around the web and read quite a bit about people buying regular unglazed porcelain 12x tiles to use as a stone. I did buy one from lowes today. So, what is anyones opinion on my scenario. I have drool coming out of my mouth right this second waiting for it. Many thanks to all.

Sal
Weather forecast for tonight: Dark, Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning...

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: What stone for weber charcoal grill?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »
If I were you I'd use the stone, I don't trust that ANY tiles purchased at a big box home center are food safe. I would be careful with the stone, let it preheat with the charcoals, don't stick it in a raging hot grill, it would be prone to crack. Being that it's from wallyworld, it will probably crack sooner rather than later! Good luck!

Offline VengefulHemi

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:36:33 AM »
Thanks for the response. I have heard about warming up the stone. I have been char grilling for quite some time(just never with a stone). I only use lump coal. Now how am I to slowly warm up the stone after dumping a chiminey? Just put the stone on direct heat without the lid, or leave the bottom vents cracked then slowly open them at varying intervals? Stone on indirect(including the pie)? Thank you very much.

Sal
Weather forecast for tonight: Dark, Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning...

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:40:35 AM »
I'd probably dump the coals around the outer edge in a circular pattern, then place the stone centered on the grill and let it warm with the hood off the grill. By the time the stone gets good and hot you may have to add more coals for the bake.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
I would use this stone.http://www.redskygrilling.com/tips.html
 It is made specifically for the 22.5. I have one and it is fine.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles