Author Topic: Help solve my sauce crisis  (Read 759 times)

Offline alohashirt

• Stuck in a deep dish wasteland
Help solve my sauce crisis
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »
All,

The good news is that I'm finally getting the hang of a good crust Malnati-type. The bad news is my sauce. I've basically been using a mixture of crushed tomatos, diced tomatoes, garlic, basil, and kosher salt (uncooked).

The problem with this on my cheese pizza: The cheese bubbles up through the sauce layer in places, ruining my whole "sauce on top" thing. I'm guessing that I need more sauce in my sauce layer. But I also need something thicker and harder for cheese to bubble up and penetrate. Should I be mixing some tomato paste in for thickening?

Anybody have a recipe for a Gino's East type sauce?

Thanks for helping out a nube!

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Help solve my sauce crisis
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »
diced tomatoes are too watery, I would eliminate them. A good heavy ground or crushed tomato will be what you want, they shouldn't be runny or watery. Escalon's 6 in 1's are an example of a ground tomato that would work well, Sclafani is an example of a crushed tomato that would work well. If necessary, strain extra water out of whatever you are using. I'm not a fan of tomato paste in pizza sauce, and the seasonings should be what you like.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 01:52:56 PM »
strain extra water out of whatever you are using.

That's the key.  If you like the chunkiness of diced, squeeze them by hand to release some liquid, then let them drain for a while in a strainer.  For the crushed tomatoes, pour gently into a mesh strainer and let water drain from it for a good ten minutes.

More importantly, your cheese pizza lacks sausage.   :D

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:22:44 PM »
All,

The good news is that I'm finally getting the hang of a good crust Malnati-type. The bad news is my sauce. I've basically been using a mixture of crushed tomatos, diced tomatoes, garlic, basil, and kosher salt (uncooked).

The problem with this on my cheese pizza: The cheese bubbles up through the sauce layer in places, ruining my whole "sauce on top" thing. I'm guessing that I need more sauce in my sauce layer. But I also need something thicker and harder for cheese to bubble up and penetrate. Should I be mixing some tomato paste in for thickening?

Anybody have a recipe for a Gino's East type sauce?

Thanks for helping out a nube!

Could be a few things, but...
most likely you just need a little more sauce.  :chef:

What size pizza are you baking, how much sauce did you use, what was your baking time and temp?

Other possibilities:
You could be using too much cheese (I know - no such thing, right?).
You could have an air pocket in your dough that pushes up the cheese and unbalances the sauce on top.
Ingredients under the sauce may have shifted to make the sauce move away from one part of the pizza, exposing the cheese.

The image below shows a deep dish I made a while back that had the sausage patty shrink into an island in the middle of the pizza,
which displaced some of the cheese toward the outer crust, which made the tomatoes 'crack'.

It's not the end of the world. The pizza tasted fantastic!
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/