Author Topic: First Attempt In My New FGM 950C WFO  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Pizzaddict

First Attempt In My New FGM 950C WFO
« on: September 12, 2013, 03:05:45 PM »
I've been a Neapolitan pizza fan for a loooonnnggg time, but never been able to try that style at home...until now!  Just finished a WFO, thread here... http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27522.0.html and finally got to try my hand at baking Neapolitan style pizza.

I have to admit I am intimidated by all the knowledge on this board, and by my lack of the same.  To all those here that post about their techniques, experiences, and experiments....A BIG THANK YOU!  I am having a lot of fun learning and trying to put that knowledge to practical use.

I have a "raised dome" FGM 950C oven and finished curing it last weekend and finally had a chance to get it up to "Neapolitan" temps and give it a go.  When I started, the dome was at 910 and the floor at 860.  The core was indicating 770F, but my thermometer doesn't extend all the way into the core (build design flaw on my part).

Dough Recipe was supposed to be:

1000g Caputo
570g   Water
26g     Sea Salt
1/2tsp ADY

I say it "was supposed to be" because my wife and I had a "communication breakdown"  ::) when mixing the first batch.  She added 200g of water to the first dough, instead of our starter that we are cultivating, while the dough was mixing.   We made another batch but decided to try this dough as well, so our very first pizza was a 77% hydration dough!

I mixed in a Bosch for 1 minute, autolysed for 20, then 6-7 more in the Bosch.  I did a few stretch and folds and then a bulk rest for 10 hours at 68 degrees.  Balled and refrigerated for 30 hours and removed 3-4 hours before baking.

So here they are:

1)  77% hydration dough with pear, gorgonzola, and balsamic glaze
- least browning...perhaps the high hydration...perhaps the oven was at it's hottest
2)  Leoparding?
3)  57% Hot Capocollo and Calabrese Salami with fresh Mozzarella
-cornice looks bigger than I remember...camera angle?
4)  Crumb shot from 57% dough
5)  57% New York toppings...pepperoni and Grande Mozzarella
-  More browning than the 77% dough
6)  77% Calzone...ham, grapeseed oil, Grande on the inside...topped with Calabrian Chili oil infused sauce (thanks Craig!)
-  UGLY, but my personal favorite for taste!
7)  57% Homemade Pistachio pesto, Italian sausage mixed with a little Frank's Hot Honey, and Grande
8  57% Bananas Foster - Thanks JimmyMak!
9)  57% Nutella, strawberries, vanilla cream - Thanks andreguidon!

I am my own harshest critic and see lots of room for improvement, but I friggin loved every one of them!!!  Yes, I ate some of each pizza...taking the rest of the week off from carbs!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:00:22 AM by Pizzaddict »

Offline Pizzaddict

Re: First Attempt In My New WFO
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 03:07:47 PM »
more...

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: First Attempt In My New WFO
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »
WOW! a prolific pie maker. I bet it feels good to finally get them pies out of your WFO.
Congrats! You done a good job.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
Re: First Attempt In My New FGM 950C WFO
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:16:15 PM »
They all look fantastic, you are a pro  :chef:

I love how the peperoni curled up on  :drool:
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
They all look fantastic, ...

You are too kind!  I think my calzone looks like a sea slug...but it tasted great!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:55:29 PM »
Awesome Job !! You dont want to see my forst attempt  :-D pathetic!  enjoy your toy.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:07:22 PM »
Great looking pies! Good job banging them out ;D Did you find the 77% hydration doughs challenging to handle (sticking to peel)?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 10:43:46 PM »
...Did you find the 77% hydration doughs challenging to handle (sticking to peel)?
Thanks and yes, the 77% doughs were definitely fragile.  Although I bought a very nice set of GI Tools from John, I chickened out and used my trusty wooden peel for loading the pie into the oven on my first night.  I took my time dragging the dough onto the peel and managed without ripping.  Once in the oven, I used the GI turning peel and it worked like a charm.  I used a light dusting of a mixture of Caputo and Semolina on the wood peel and had no problem sliding the dough into the oven.  If the Semolina burned on the bottom, I couldn't taste it.

I don't have any experience to go by, but the 77% doughs seemed lighter, both in color and density.  Perhaps the extra moisture provided a quicker steam and thus earlier puff of the cornice.  I actually liked them a lot!

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 09:39:45 AM »
Lol. My first try is on youtube.  :-D

You had a much better outcome than I did with my shoe-shaped pies coming out of my half-pre-heated, half finished WFO!! But I did have fun!!

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 09:44:44 AM »
If the Semolina burned on the bottom, I couldn't taste it.

Best thing about Semolina is that it's tasteless. Not like cornmeal when it burns...YUCK!! I recommend using it for bench and peel flour, instead of regular flour.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 08:33:55 PM »
They look delicious!!  Great results, especially with the high dome on your first try.  I'm impressed.

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:05:59 AM »
They look delicious!!  Great results, especially with the high dome on your first try.  I'm impressed.

Thanks Robyn, I wish I could have installed my oven in my house, like yours!  Between the wind and rain, my environment has been a challenge.

The raised dome doesn't seem to be an issue; I am actually having trouble keeping the floor hot enough to match the dome.  I still have a lot to learn with fire management.  Maybe the fact that it is three inches higher than the standard FGM means the dome isn't radiating quite as much heat back to the floor to balance the oven?  My floor started out about 50 degrees cooler than the dome, but quickly lost about a 100 degrees after baking the first few pizzas.  Regardless, I was very happy with my first attempt!

Offline landras

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 11:51:33 AM »
congrats on your first bake! very nice looking pizzas, keep posting..

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »
I am actually having trouble keeping the floor hot enough to match the dome.

You may to make sure you take the time to soak your floor with heat. While firing the oven you can regularly spread some of the embers over the floor.
If you do so for a good hour before you bank you fire, you should be able to heat the floor all the way through to it's full thickness.
As you cook the heat will come back-up and with a study fire, you should have very limited heat loss.
WFO cooking is about passion.