Author Topic: garden tomatoes  (Read 691 times)

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
garden tomatoes
« on: September 03, 2013, 11:58:02 PM »
Hi all,

Did a quick search but didn't find anything. I am getting an abundance of garden tomatoes.  I want to freeze them.  Not into canning.  Anyone do that and what method do you use?

Thanks!
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline bonesbr549

Re: garden tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »
my neighbor squeezes hers through a foodmill (greatest invention) and then freezes some.  Only problem i finde it makes them watery.  Canning on the other hand takes the tomato fresh from the garden captures the flavor and seals it in a jar.  Love that smell of that opened can.   Big plus no worry about power outage.   I would remove seeds and skins via the mill.   I put out around 40 san marzano plants this year and put up close to a 100 pints of sauce.   Canning is easy especially with tomatoes you can do a water bath for those.  Good luck

Offline Athos

• I Love Pizza!
Re: garden tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 11:59:49 PM »
Hi Moondance,

I also have an over abundance of tomatoes as well. My plan is to wash them and put them in ziploc freezer type bags getting as much air out as I can The nice thing about this method is the skin comes off very easily in hot tap water.