Author Topic: black steel pans?  (Read 21011 times)

Offline mrbthree

• From the Heart
black steel pans?
« on: February 24, 2006, 10:52:01 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm in a quandry about "black steel", or "black iron" pans for baking sicilian pizza. I'm not referring to pans with a black non-stick coating, mind you. Anyway, I can't find a source for these so-called black steel pans online, other than the non-stick type of black coated style which I am not at all interested in using.
I'm wondering if the "black steel" is just a phenomena of seaoning a conventional steel square baking pan?
Additionally, I did notice one photo of a sicilain pizza posted by Marco, but the pan it this photo much resembles an anodized aluminum pan such as Lloydpans manufactures.
Your input is much appreciated, and thanks.

Offline chiguy

Re: black steel pans?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 11:05:11 AM »
 Hi mrbThree,
 A member of ours ABC purchased and bakes in a black square pan, here is the link to the pictures and comments.   (Reply#26)
 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1073.20.html

These pans are available at www.pizzatools.com      Goodluck, Chiguy

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 11:22:52 AM »
I just bought one of the Sicilian type pans from pizzatools.com.  I bought a 14 inch square pan, 2 inches deep.  I figured I could use it for lasagna when I wasn't using it for pizza.  It is a dark coated pan.  I haven't made a pizza in it yet but I am planning one for Sunday (2 days from now).  I'll let you know how it turned out.

Offline mrbthree

• From the Heart
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 12:00:56 PM »
Dear Foodblogger,

Yes, please let me know how it turns out and thanks.

PS. what dough recipe do you use for sicilian?

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 12:34:44 PM »
I'm trying a recipe that I put together based on the 'best ideas' on the forum.  I haven't made it yet so I can't recommend it to you.  If it turns out well I'll definately let you know.  I'm trying it this weekend.  If you want a very well established recipe you might try the one from pizzanapoletana.  You can see his recipe here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1073.msg9752.html#msg9752

I haven't personally tried his recipe but others on the forum have and the reviews were positive.

Offline The Pontificator

• Angry Samoan
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 05:48:19 PM »
Allied Metal Spinning in The Bronx makes what you're looking for. They make a cold-rolled steel pan and a newer, non-stick version.

Google "Kerekes" or try dubya dubya dubya dot bakedeco dot com

I have two of the 12" square pans. Have had them for 10 years at least and they ROCK. They came with a film of kerosene on them to prevent rust and there is a simple procedure to ready them for use.
"I hope you choke on a biscotti!"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 06:03:43 PM »
The Pontificator,

Apparently you have to use a search term to get to the Sicilian pans, so I used "Sicilian pans" in the search box at http://www.bakedeco.com/. I assume those are the pans that you have in mind.

Peter

Offline The Pontificator

• Angry Samoan
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 04:36:30 AM »

Correct. As a noob, I can't post links yet and the exact page URL is too complicated to spell out.

King Arthur Flour used to sell the rectangular pans but no more.
"I hope you choke on a biscotti!"

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:43:55 PM »
I've spent quite a while (years) searching for this supposed 'black steel' pizza pan.  I'm not sure where it comes from.  Frustratingly, I can find several pizza recipes that instruct that we bake the pizza on a "black steel pizza pan", but I can find no suppliers of black steel pizza pans - or any authoritative info on what black steel actually is (as it relates to cooking).

I do know that I stumbled across some genuine Little Caesar's black pans and they immediately did the trick.  After years of trying to brown my crusts and failing (including painting aluminum pans with engine paint), these did it the first time.

lloydpans.com and crowncookware.com (looks like wholesale only) both seem to offer solutions.  But, although you can find both by googling 'black steel pizza pans', neither claim to provide them.  In the case of Lloyd Pans, they claim their magic is PSTK (TUFF-KOTE).  On another board a representative has claimed to supply some Little Caesar's franchises.

My genuine LC pans seem to be aluminum - based on what I see where the black coating has worn away.  But I'm far from a metallurgist.  Still, I'm beginning to conclude that black steel is like 'Unicorn Horn' or 'Pixie Dust'.

I think that 'black steel' really means 'real pizza pan'.  I plan on buying some pans from Lloydpans, but have yet to decide the sizes (which if, nothing else is something in their favor - lots of choice on dimensions).  But, unfortunately, I don't have any direct experience with them to relay as of yet.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 09:11:01 PM »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:30:08 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
I use the allied metal pan and they are terrific~!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline xl883c

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 01:29:27 AM »
I am also having a hard time finding rolled steel pans local. Will anodized aluminum produce the same product. Any info would be a big help.
Joe

Offline steverino

• Beer is liquid bread.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 02:45:57 PM »
I can personally attest to the quality and results of these pans:

http://www.pizzatools.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=158000

They're not cheap, but they are great.

Good luck-

Steve

Offline GIBBY

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 08:18:25 PM »
HILLSIDE METAL WARE COMPANY

1060 COMMERCE AVENUE

UNION, NJ  07083-5089

908-964-3080

I bought mine at a restaurant supply company here in the Metro Detroit area. 10 X 14 $6.95 ea. Yes, that price is correct. I didn't look to see what the smaller pan costs, sorry. It's exactley like the one's Buddy's uses here. Except mine are new. ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:25:09 PM by GIBBY »

Offline xl883c

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 10:49:40 AM »
I have not been able to find Hillside Metal pans square. I was on the website and they offer round only. How long ago did you pick up the 10x14. Do you happen to have the number for the shop you picked them up at?

Offline steverino

• Beer is liquid bread.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 05:03:44 PM »
Hey Gibby-
I'm in the metro Detroit area - what supply company did you buy them from?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 10:41:25 PM »
Hey Steve
That would be at Roselli's on Groesbeck just N of 14 mile, picked me up one today.  They also have the 6 in 1 and Stanislaus tomatoes and great prices on margherita peperoni, cheeses, and yeast, half of what I paid at the deli, plus screens and peels, etc. 
Thanks to Gibby for that tip in another post!
I also hit Vince and Joe's market where they also have those same 2 tomato brands plus many more (6 in 1's on sale, two 28 oz cans for $3), King Arthur flour, and everything else you could imagine.  They are at the corner of Garfield and Canal and also on Van Dyke near 25 mile.
I was hoping to put my first dough together tonight, but just got home way too late.  But I'm looking forward to blabin' with you and Gibby and anyone else interested in chasing the elusive Detroit style in that thread.
Hog

Opps. missed your post xl, Roselli's 586 296-9780 or at rosellifoods dot com, but I'm not sure if you can make a purchase at the website.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:49:54 PM by PizzaHog »

Offline GIBBY

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 04:53:54 PM »
I bought them at Roselli's on Groesbeck and 14 mile. I think it's Fraser but then again it might be Clinton Twnsp. The paper they gave me concerning seasoning the pan said Hillside on it.   On Sunday, 1/25 my wife and I tried again and got much closer. Having the correct amount of dough, as far as weight is concerned, seems to make a big difference. Now, I have to get a scale, make the dough, have my wife grab the amount that she feels she used Sunday and weigh it. Then we need to go up and down a few ounces and see which one made the pizza Buddy's thickness.  I used the Stanislaus brand sauce ' Heavy with Basil" and added a portion of a spice pack  the lady sold me to the sauce. The sauce didn't give me heartburn like the prepackaged sauce we were using up to that point. I mixed the whole can of sauce with a half can of water to start. We ended up using about a whole can of water to get the consistentcy to allow the sauce to somewhat freely flow off of a large ladel. We used three ladels full or so in three lines from one end of the pan to the other. It takes a little practice. You could use about a 1/4 cup of olive oil ( your choice) added into the sauce to keep it from drying out and looking dull after baking. We moved the pizzas from the middle shelf to the bottom of the oven at 490 for 13 minutes. Adjust for your oven. I think we may have to adjust the amount of yeast we use as well as possibly adding some sugar. We used regular old vegetable oil to coat the inside of the pan and the crust browned nicely. I'm glad that I could help someone find some stuff they needed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:16:20 PM by GIBBY »

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 08:30:25 PM »
 Kinda new to the board, and I think I have something close.  A black, enamel coated, heavy steel rectangular pan previously used as a drip pan for a broiler grid.  Slightly deeper than the rolled steel pans I've seen in the imbedded URL's here.  Jeez, slick this thing up with some butter and lay on the dough.  That's a plan for the game Sunday.  :chef:
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline steverino

• Beer is liquid bread.
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 05:19:13 PM »
Thanks, Gibby and PizzaHog - I'll be making my way over there in the not too distant future.

Steve

P.S. which side of Groesbeck is Roselli's on?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:20:47 PM by steverino »

pizzapan