Author Topic: black steel pans?  (Read 20847 times)

Offline pjbear05

Re: black steel pans?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »
Well the broiler drip pan worked perfectly, at least for cooking the pizza.  The other aspects were only "good". Dough was a little dense, and mixing in Boar's Head Muenster with Polly-O whole milk Mozz was a BIG mistake.  Publix supermakets used to make Brick cheese years ago but stopped.

Oh well, all things considered it was yummo!  Now back to researching the board.
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline GIBBY

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 06:25:21 PM »
Thanks, Gibby and PizzaHog - I'll be making my way over there in the not too distant future.

Steve

P.S. which side of Groesbeck is Roselli's on?
It's on the Northwest corner of Groesbeck and 14 mile rd. Kinda hard to miss. I  will probably go there Sat 2/7 to get more Cheese and maybe the scale I'm looking for,if they have it.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 10:40:46 PM »
 ;D OK the second try with the broiler pan was better, after fine tuning a few things:

No butter/oil mix for the dough this time, olive oil only (Filipo Berio).
20 minute warm-oven at lowest setting to heat up-then then 10 hour cold rise.
5 minute pre-bake of the dough.  YEAH, BABY, THAT did the trick. The dough got all puffy, like a second rise, and started popping and sizziling from all the good butter used to grease the pan.
All the topings were ready, barely 90 seconds from pulling the crust out to getting the fully assembled pizza back in.

OK, broiler pan's a winner-just a little more fine tuning and it will be perfect!

Offline GIBBY

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 07:27:15 AM »
On a website I was perusing, it says to coat the pan with peanut oil and bake at 350 for an hour. Apparently, the peanut oil has a very high smoking point. That should season it nicely.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 08:09:11 PM »
On a website I was perusing, it says to coat the pan with peanut oil and bake at 350 for an hour. Apparently, the peanut oil has a very high smoking point. That should season it nicely.
Yes it does, which is why Chinese restaurants use the stuff for high temp stir fries.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 07:44:59 PM »
I had to come back and find this thread since I now have ordered and tried my own Llloyd Pan.  When I took it out of the box I felt a bit disappointed since it appeared to be a normal non-stick finish (but a bit heavier in construction).  It is very obviously not the same as a Little Caesar's or Pizza Hut pan.  But it has performed up to par so far, so I can't complain.  If fact, I think I'd recommend them without any qualms.

Still, I feel a bit frustrated (actually more like amazed) in that I'm still unable to find pans that clearly exist in the thousands at pizzerias all over the country.

Ah, well.... 

But I wanted to throw something else out as well....  I had the opportunity to take my pizza making on the road and make some pizzas at a friend's house.  I brought my dough, my sauce, my cheese, my toppings, my pans.  The only difference was the oven.  Theirs was not as insulated as ours but only went up to 500, as opposed to my customary 550.  But, for the first time ever, I burned the crust.  I got it out before it was a complete disaster, but I learned something important.  Their bottom burner was working way harder to keep their oven at 500 degree than mine did at 550.

But since then I've become acutely aware of the need to adapt whatever we learn/buy to our own environment (and, perhaps as importantly, to ourselves), and develop our own way.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 08:07:31 PM »
Still, I feel a bit frustrated (actually more like amazed) in that I'm still unable to find pans that clearly exist in the thousands at pizzerias all over the country.

I have a feeling that those "black pans" that everyone is referring to are just regular aluminum pans that have been seasoned.  I took 2 heavy duty aluminum 1/2 sheet pans covered them in oil & put them in my WFO.  By the 3rd time, the pans were completely black & had a nice shiny non stick coating on them.  You could do the same thing in a home oven, the only problem is that they smoke quite a bit & you would probably have to repeat the process a few more times.  I'll take some pictures of them tomorrow & post them.

Matt

Offline pacoast

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 08:27:11 PM »
As Matthew says they are probably just "seasoned" pans with a black carbon build up. There are also black, anodized pans which is the way I would go. FWIW, I would stay away from any pan that is teflon or "non-stick" coated as that coating is not safe above 450F & can deteriorate as well as give off noxious fumes in high temperature ovens.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 08:58:50 PM »
I just pulled a pan out to see if I could agree with a seasoning explanation.  I don't think so.  I'd love for that to be true, but I don't think so.  The black coating is completely uniform.  If they weren't scratched in some places they'd look as though they were freshly spray painted with a flat black paint.  They still stack as if they were new.

And if they started out as plain aluminum I would have expected to see at least one silver looking pan at a Pizza Hut, Little Caesar's or the pizza place where I worked for over a year.

Offline pacoast

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 09:19:15 PM »
Your description of the coating looking like flat black paint sounds like an anodized pan.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 09:47:53 PM »
Your description of the coating looking like flat black paint sounds like an anodized pan.

I've seen plenty of anodized aluminum.  It's generally colored and has a built-in satin sheen.  Not like the flat black I see.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/Anodized_titanium_colors.svg/520px-Anodized_titanium_colors.svg.png

Offline pacoast

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 09:57:26 PM »
If you say so. Looks like flat black (or charcoal) paint to me.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »
The first image looks very close.  Although the internet image of the Lloyds pan did as well (and wasn't).

The second (perforated) image is clearly not the same thing.

I don't know how a computer chassis figures in.

Offline pacoast

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 11:04:14 PM »
I don't know how a computer chassis figures in.

I didn't find a direct view photo of a pan in a brief search. The direct view of the computer case shows the anodized finish best. I don't know if your pans are anodized or not. But since anodized pans look similar to flat paint, I was just suggesting that you look into that possibility.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 06:52:36 AM »
I've seen plenty of anodized aluminum.  It's generally colored and has a built-in satin sheen.  Not like the flat black I see.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/Anodized_titanium_colors.svg/520px-Anodized_titanium_colors.svg.png

Do you have a picture of this pan that you are referring to?  I looked at all restaurant supply places in my area & went through their catalogers & shy of anodized pans there is nothing out there which leads me to believe that they don't exist.  In Sicily (where I'm from) they use aluminum pans that have been seasoned.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 09:11:46 AM »
Photo of my pan.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »
That pan is very similar to ones I've seen used in Detroit (although not as well seasoned as that).  But that's not the kind of pan I'm talking about.

My camera has gone missing and my cell phone camera wouldn't really work, but the first pic posted by pacoast looks very close.  It's your basic Little Caesar's/Pizza Hut pan.  Not traditionally Sicilian, but an Americanized version.  The round sort also seems to be used for Chicago style pizzas.

To be clear, I don't think mine are anodized but would allow that they might be.  But Google searches for Anodized Pizza Pans don't seem to reveal a match. 

Offline pacoast

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 09:07:42 PM »
The picture I had posted is of a Carlisle anodized pan. Here's a better picture. But I don't know if it has the same coating as the pan you are describing.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 06:56:50 PM »
That actually looks promising.  It appears to have dimpled feet - which I can't decide is a neat idea or an affront to pure pizza pans everywhere.  >:(

I also just found the Hillside 12 Inch Black Steal (sic) Pizza Pan.

Offline Mr Mike

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 03:59:48 AM »
Hello, I just came across this thread by fluke. These might be what you are looking for:

paprod dot com

I got a bunch of those deep black seasoned square pans from a major chain off Ebay a couple of years back. I may have some extra that I do not need. What size are you looking for? I think we have 8, 10. and 12 inch in storage but only need the 8 inchers.