Author Topic: The Art of Pizza with Gabriele Bonci @ Eataly, NYC!  (Read 2134 times)

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
The Art of Pizza with Gabriele Bonci @ Eataly, NYC!
« on: September 04, 2013, 08:34:35 PM »

Just learned about Gabriele Bonci teaching a pizza course at La Scuola Grande at Eataly, NYC on Friday, October 18th, 6:30-8:00pm

Who's in with me?  It's $100.  Primarily a demo and tasting, not a hands-on. Course includes recipes too.

Gabriele Bonci is the owner and creator of Rome’s renowned Pizzarium. From this small pizzeria, located just outside the walls of the Vatican, Bonci has been serving up unique and delicious pizzas since 2003, earning himself such nicknames as the “King of Pizza” and the “Michaelangelo of Dough.”  After years of inventing zany new pizzas for hungry Romans and tourists alike, Gabriele Bonci is releasing his very own cookbook, Pizza: Seasonal Recipes from Rome's Legendary Pizzarium, full of pizza recipes topped with seasonal ingredients that can be made at home!  In celebration of his new book, join Gabriele in La Scuola’s kitchen as he prepares 4 of his favorite fall pizzas.  Gabriele will demonstrate each pizza for you to enjoy, paired with complementary beers and wines.  Class will be complete with recipes and wine tasting notes to take home. Copies of Pizza: Seasonal Recipes from Rome's Legendary Pizzarium will be available for purchase after class.

Menu
To be determined shortly!

Wines & Beers
To be determined shortly!

Class duration is approximate and may vary by 10-15 minutes. Menu and wines are subject to slight change.  Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary restrictions. If we are not notified ahead of time of any special needs, we may not be able to accommodate them.  Seating is first-come first-served.  Please note, class includes demonstration and tasting and is not hands-on. All guests planning to consume alcohol must be able to produce valid government-issued identification to prove they are 21 or older.

https://www.regonline.com/register/checkin.aspx?EventId=1292196&MethodId=0&EventSessionId=&startnewreg=1

Offline Anthony A

• Sunday Sauce Diary
Re: The Art of Pizza with Gabriele Bonci @ Eataly, NYC!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:50:16 AM »
Thanks for posting. I registered last night.

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »
I will be there as well.
Trosenberg

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
 i will be there also. his book in english will be for sale at the event

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »
In conjuction to what Sharlene posted about Gabriele Bonci of Pizzarium at Eataly, there will be another event at Paulie Gee's. 

http://bonci-parla-pizza-beer.eventbrite.com/ 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 07:34:07 PM »
In conjuction to what Sharlene posted about Gabriele Bonci of Pizzarium at Eataly, there will be another event at Paulie Gee's. 

http://bonci-parla-pizza-beer.eventbrite.com/ 

Norma

Norma, thanks for the heads up!  I've been meaning to try out PG's pizza...so heading out to celebrate my husband's and girlfriend's birthday on Saturday with pizza & beer. Katie Parla is an American food blogger, living in Rome.  She's got a travel book (with the National Geographic), and  offers food and beer tours in Rome.  She's a talented writer and a sweetheart. 

She just informed me of her workshop with Bonci at the Sullivan Street Bakery that Monday night.  Katie says that this will be a hands-on experience - get your hands dirty with Bonci.  Katie and another will be the translators.  This is a great deal.

I had looked into taking a 2 day class in Pizzarium School. The cost of the course with translator in Pizzarium is $350.  Rome ticket not included. He doesn't take more than 15 students but you're crammed in a small room. 

Not exactly sure the set up of Sullivan Street Bakery, but they are only allowing 15 students probably due to space..

https://www.eventbrite.com/event/8424246147?utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new_attendee&utm_term=event_name

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 11:09:45 PM »
Norma, thanks for the heads up!  I've been meaning to try out PG's pizza...so heading out to celebrate my husband's and girlfriend's birthday on Saturday with pizza & beer. Katie Parla is an American food blogger, living in Rome.  She's got a travel book (with the National Geographic), and  offers food and beer tours in Rome.  She's a talented writer and a sweetheart. 

She just informed me of her workshop with Bonci at the Sullivan Street Bakery that Monday night.  Katie says that this will be a hands-on experience - get your hands dirty with Bonci.  Katie and another will be the translators.  This is a great deal.

I had looked into taking a 2 day class in Pizzarium School. The cost of the course with translator in Pizzarium is $350.  Rome ticket not included. He doesn't take more than 15 students but you're crammed in a small room. 

Not exactly sure the set up of Sullivan Street Bakery, but they are only allowing 15 students probably due to space..

https://www.eventbrite.com/event/8424246147?utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new_attendee&utm_term=event_name

Sharlene,

Paulie Gee's pizzas are very good.  Some members here on the forum and I were at Paulie Gee's two times.  Paulie is a great guy.  I read about Katie Parla.  I also went to Sullivan St. Bakery one time.  I even tried for awhile to make their one kind of pizza I was so fond of.  If you get to take the workshop at Sullivan St. Bakery that should be fun.

I would like to attend all those things with Gabriele Bonci, but those expenses sure would add up.

Norma

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:35:06 PM »
When reading Paulie's interviews - I find him very inspiring.  What kind of pizza are you fond of at Sullivan Street Bakery?  I signed up for the workshop and convince a pizza buddy in NJ - already a pizzeria owner, and opening his 3rd pizzeria - to join me; we met during Roberto's training.  The costs of Bonci's classes and workshops are relatively inexpensive and fair, compared to what Roberto charges for his so-called "training".

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 12:00:47 AM »
When reading Paulie's interviews - I find him very inspiring.  What kind of pizza are you fond of at Sullivan Street Bakery?  I signed up for the workshop and convince a pizza buddy in NJ - already a pizzeria owner, and opening his 3rd pizzeria - to join me; we met during Roberto's training.  The costs of Bonci's classes and workshops are relatively inexpensive and fair, compared to what Roberto charges for his so-called "training".

Sharlene,

Paulie is very inspiring and funny too in remarks he makes.

At Reply 20 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12388.msg117783.html#msg117783  (third photo down) are some of the pizzas at Sullivan St. Bakery.  The one I really liked and tried to make was the slice I was holding at Reply 22 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12388.msg117785.html#msg117785 (fourth photo down).  I don't know why I thought that cold pizza was so good when I normally don't like cold pizzas.

I think the workshops are fair in price, but since I am semi-retired I do have to watch how much money I spend.

Have fun and take plenty of photos.   ;D

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 12:21:45 AM »
relatively inexpensive and fair, compared to what Roberto charges for his so-called "training".

What does this mean? Please elaborate.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 09:27:42 PM »
 i think my son Michael is assisting in one of the sessions. i hope it is the one at eataly so i can attend.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »
..... compared to what Roberto charges for his so-called "training".

Are you saying that Roberto does a poor job at training for Pizzarium Style pizza? Or you weren't actually comparing Pizzarium style/ Neo Style; just the ability of the trainer to teach?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 07:23:24 PM »
I have a ticket for this event that I cannot use.  If you want it let me know & I will arrange to have it transfered to your name.
Trosenberg

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »
Here are two links on some of the Bonci events that happened.

Hhttp://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/10/pizza-and-beer-pairings-gabriele-bonci-katie-parla-paulie-gees-pizzarium-event-slideshow.html

http://eatingwithziggy.com/2013/10/21/pizza-and-beer-with-bonci-and-parla/

Offline francofromny

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 12:24:52 PM »
any follow on the events above? i think bonci has some useful tips and tricks, im interested in his future workshops.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »
I hope Sharlene does not mind I am posting the link to her blog. I read her post on her blog about what she saw and did at http://pizzastalker.blogspot.com/2013/11/nyc-weekend-pizza-marathon-with.html 

I really enjoyed the photos and her post write-up.  8) I wish I could have been there too.

Norma

pizzapan