Author Topic: Edge Pro Knife Sharpener..........  (Read 900 times)

Offline Jackitup

Edge Pro Knife Sharpener..........
« on: September 05, 2013, 12:23:46 AM »
It's simply one of the best ones out there. I have the Pro 2 kit and LOVE IT. We've all heard about sharpeners putting on a "scary sharp" edge on knives, this one really does. I've had it for several years and owner Ben Dale will talk to you on the phone, email and help you out with any questions. Yes, it's a bit spendy and worth every penny. Many other sharpeners work faster but at the sacrifice of the loss of more metal off your knives. First sharpening takes the longest to create that perfect bevel and edge. After that it's just tune ups. And this will finish your bevel with polishing tapes to the point of creating literally a mirror that you can see your reflection in. If you're looking for a top of the line sharpener for hunting, kitchen, hobby knives up to collector knives, this is it. Yes, I'm in love with it, good knives deserve a great sharpener!! http://www.edgeproinc.com/sharpening-Tips-11.html

jon
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:50:35 AM by Jackitup »
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Edge Pro Knife Sharpener..........
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »
Yes, it's a bit spendy

You think? $650  :(

I bet it does work great, but I'm going to have to stick with my 3-sided stone.

With quality knives, I've found that if I use the steel regularly and don't mistreat them, I rarely need to go to the stone.   
Pizza is not bread.

Offline redox

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:56:22 AM »
I find that stropping my blade on the leather kilts of defeated foe is more than enough to keep my katana battle ready.  :-D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:52:12 AM by redox »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:10:58 AM »
 :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:47 PM »
You think? $650  :(

I bet it does work great, but I'm going to have to stick with my 3-sided stone.

With quality knives, I've found that if I use the steel regularly and don't mistreat them, I rarely need to go to the stone.

Actually, without the scissor attachment it's 450 and when I bought mine it was I think 350. It really is a great sharpener. Best I've ever used.

jon

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 08:26:45 AM »
Jackitup,

I have been using the Edge Pro Apex for several years and love it.  Back in the day I used the John Juranitch, Razor Edge System based/born in Mn for years, but found it too limiting for my needs.  I have made knives, both straight and folding/locking, reconditioned and collected knives in the past, and have always pursued that perfect edge and while not perfect, it brings it one step closer without needing a lot of skill.  Our house does not own a "steel", but we use either highly polished SS rods, Razor Edge, or fine ceramic rods to keep the edge in line after each use. 

I also have ceramic knives and wondered if you have used their system/stones to sharpen them, assuming you have ceramic knives?

RED

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »
No ceramic knives here, how do they hold up anyway? Always thought they would be prone to breakage/brittle

jon

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »
They have held up just fine, I've had them for over 14 years and had them sharpened only once.  Granted they could have used more frequent ones, but they need to be shipped of to California, free sharpening but need to pay for shipping.

I use mainly Western style Japanese style steel knifes and the ceramics were an off the cuff buy.  The one I carry is a Chris Reeve Large, left handed Sebenza. 

Last year I picked up a Watanabe 180mm Kuro-uchi Gyuto.  Great knife, great maker...

http://www.edgeobserver.com/180mm-kuro-uchi-gyuto-by-shinichi-watanabe/

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 06:00:39 PM »
PI own over 100 knives.....I have 4 sharpening systems....ranging from edge pro to stones.... The FASTEST is my WORKSHARP... UNDER 100 bucks.  It's really a mini belt sander with a degree guide......by FAR the best edge, hair shaving, for the time spent.     I PROBABLY could get a better edge with edge pro.....but I'd spend a TON more time....and it requires a bunch more skill.....

I know knife fanatics will baulk it this.....but I buy my knives to USE....so WORKSHARP is mt TO GO sharpener.....WELL worth the cash

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »
I've also been a knife collector for more years than I can now remember (over 50) and during the winter months I build hunting knives (drop-point design) and make all of my own knife sheaths and pistol holsters, but that's a whole different story. I use nothing but a series of diamond sharpeners from coarse grit to ultra fine for polishing the finished edge, I then strop the blade to remove the wire edge. Even though I include a warning with each knife, I still get e-mails from purchasers telling me that they were just checking the edge by running their thumb over it and ended up with a split thumb. We also have a number of ceramic knives in the kitchen and they work great so long as you don't try to pry with them, and by all means don't put them into the dishwasher. With time even the ceramic blades need to be sharpened and I find that my diamond sharpeners are up to that task too. The biggest challenge to using my type of diamond sharpener is learning how to hold the knife to get a 20 - 22-degree angle along the entire blade length. Once you have that part mastered, sharpening knives and maintaining the edge the old fashion way is fun and easy.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 02:12:36 PM »
Hats off...cause that all takes A LOT of skill........when I watch utube videos of guys using stones....it amazes me.........

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 05:38:59 AM »
Tom
IF its not breaking any forum rules....do you have a website??
thank you

Offline DannyG

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »
The biggest challenge to using my type of diamond sharpener is learning how to hold the knife to get a 20 - 22-degree angle along the entire blade length. Once you have that part mastered, sharpening knives and maintaining the edge the old fashion way is fun and easy.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom, any tips that you can pass along on how you have learned to hold the knives when sharpening? I keep trying but just can't seem to get it right. Also, do you have a brand/model of diamond sharpeners that you use?

Thanks.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 05:58:11 AM »
Danny
The best way i learned (and im just so so) is using an angle guide......there are a few types available.  One word of warning though, IF you are using a belt sander, a few guides require you attach the knife with the edge going INTO the belt.........which is NOT a fun thing.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 09:40:53 AM »
Tom I would love to see your work as well.

Chau

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 10:15:54 AM »
Danny
The best way i learned (and im just so so) is using an angle guide......there are a few types available.  One word of warning though, IF you are using a belt sander, a few guides require you attach the knife with the edge going INTO the belt.........which is NOT a fun thing.

Also being careful not to take TOOO much metal off the knife with those styles of sharpeners. Your knife disappears in a hurry. That's what's nice about the EdgePro and other precision sharpeners is that very little metal is sacrificed to get your bevel and cutting edge razor sharp and for collector knives even more important to keep things PERFECT!

jon

jon